Where do all the rats come from?

Serigala

I am just trying to learn to play Hamelin, and although I am beginning to see his potential, I am struggling to see his awesomeness!

I am particularly struggling to understand where all the rats come from in the games that folk are describing on the forum. Hamelin rat summoning seems to be a zero sum game. If anything dies or is sacrificed within range of Hamelin then it spawns another rat, but it is on a 1 for 1 basis. It takes 3 rats to summon a ratcatcher. Hamelin can summon another Stolen each turn, which can eventually yield another Rat, but that won't yield more than a handful of extras in a game.

I rarely play a game with more than 6 or 7 models on each side (though haven't played too many Ressers). Is it only in large model count games where Hamelin can churn out multiple rats or am I missing something?

Only played against Hamelin once last weekend, but i reckon i got the gist. I think the idea is you start with a reasonable amount of rats, say 4-6, grouped close to your rat catchers. These ones will effectively never die due to the Voracious Rats ability. Then you add to the swarm every time a Stolen dies, and every time anything else dies within 6" of Rat Catchers or Hamelin. Assuming that your rat catchers stay close to the swarm, and the swarm kills things, it wouldn't be too difficult to get up to 12+ rats by the end of the game.

Mike

The main place that rats come from is from enemy models.

Personally though, I haven't really heard much of Hamelin increasing his crew size. He pretty much has the same size crew throughout the game, which is still pretty nasty, especially with Slaughter Rats.

Yeah, but that's actually part of why Hamelin doesn't like Slaughter, I thought...even if they do get summoned from other rats, they're still new rats, so everytime a batch dies, opponent still gets VPs.

Where do all the rats come from?
Official Rules Marshal response...

Well when a Mummy Rat and a Daddy Rat love each other very much they do a special dance....

It's in the adult version of the Rules Manual. The diagrams are very informative.

Edited by Ratty

I think there is a slight misunderstanding here:

Slaughter Rats is an ability of the Ratcatchers, which kills all rats within 6", and then Voracious Rats kicks in to resummon them and granting them extra activations, since this are new models.

This is what makes the Rat Swarm so fast.

Slaughter is the kill more then your opponent strategy which since the utter ease of killing Rats (even though they get back) is very detrimal for Hamelin, even worse, the resummoning just gives you additional chances to get the 2 stones, Rats aren't really worth their stones without a catcher (or as sacrificial meat for skeeters)

Only if your oponent kills them does he get points, you dont give away points for killing your own stuff

You still give away the points. When you kill your own models you don't get points towards slaughter. But your opponent gets points every time he kills your rats. And they keep coming back and you can keep killing them.

Its actually one of the prime examples of way a crew can end up being wiped off the board but still winning a match. You can potential kill enough rats that you are so far ahead in slaughter that there is no way your enemy can catch up.

Yeah...the big reason you get so many is that A) your rats always stay on the table so long as hamelin or a rat catcher is around, which they should be (unless there's a mass sacrifice I don't know about haha). B) Your stolen drop them if they are killed OR sacrificed. C) Unlike ressers, you get rats from ANYTHING that dies withing 6" of hamelin or an RC, not just living/undead models or scrap in the case of the scavenger masters out there.

Like magic said, 7-10 is about normal for a game, but I've had as many as 20, and it can get a bit silly....lets not even start with how silly it gets with his Avatar around, hehe...30wd to snow storm from a bleeding diesease...yeah, that just happened.