The Tyrants We know and Expect(Spoilers)

Mentat_Canis

So I wanted to see if anyone has picked out anything else about what the Tyrants are up to.

So we have

December(Raspy)- Ice- Hurt by vikies book one, slapped down by Raspy book 2 and put in its place again by Raspy in book 3 when she was willing to kill herself.

Threat Level - Low

Grave Spirit(Seamus)- Death - Attempted to come out during book one and Ramos with his huge construct help reseal the spirit. Seamus tries to bring it out in book three before he gets a flaming bullet to the skull. Its still in between worlds

Threat Level - Moderate

Cherufe(Sonnia) - Fire - Was the cause of The Event when his prison fell from the sky and released the wave of energy. Sonnia had him under control, stabbed herself in the heart, until Hopkins was a good dog and tried to help Sonnia. Now she is on a fire breathing path through the sewers. Current State is First book Raspy.

Threat Level - High

Plague(Hamelin) - Disease - So in book two Hamelin walks into Plague and Plague takes him whole and is now in full control of him from what I can see. He is the one who helps bring Cherufe back to Malifaux. Not much in book three other then Plague is still spreading.

Threat Level - High

The Gorgon(Molly) - Fear/Insanity - I forget the first time the Gorgon comes up if it is in the Chronicles or in book 1 when pictures are taken of it and stories of the ghost around it. Molly is given it I believe by Seamus at some point in time. Stories say that everyone who has the stone dies in a strange manner. In book 3 is used to kill a man and to revive Seamus after he gets a flaming bullet in the skull.

Threat Level - Unknown

Tyrant of the Machine(Ramos) - Machines- Ramos is confronted by the Hoff and Lady J about an image in an ancient book that Ramos uses in some of his advanced constructs. I am making the assumption it will be a Tyrant.

Threat Level - Low

Rider(Leveticus) - Destruction - Ok this one is a bit out there because he was stuck in the Aether and the horsemen came for him. I think he might be a tyrant of destruction going after the others?

Threat Level - Moderate

So the last 2 are a speculation but from the fluff we know there are more Tyrants out there just the most ambitious are coming out to play. If you have any others that I missed or you think I am wrong about something please speak up. I really loved the fluff this book so I wanted to speak out.

Also I really think the Governor General has something really wrong about him can't wait to see what happens there. Oh and why do I have to wait a year for more fluff its sooooo good.

Edited by Mentat_Canis

I'm not sure Leveticus is a Tyrant...not sure what he is, but I almost think he's his own category of things. Hadn't thought of Ramos being connected to a Tyrant, but very possible. I'm not totally convinced right now that Chompy isn't a Tyrant...and it's pretty well implied that he's not too sure either.

Also, I think there's another one (even beyond Chompy).

Pan (Pandora)- Insanity - It's really heavily implied that the box is a Tyrant playing for a long view of the game, rather than the short term game that December and Plague are doing.

I do have to say, that I find it interesting that the most active and high threat Tyrants seem to be the ones who are so impatient that it's unlikely they're going to pull it off, they're burning through too much energy in their attempts.

A question: After three books, do Tyrant-Entities still have the same backstory as what was published in Book 1?

Yes actually they are these once locked up or half destroyed greater beings were trying to gain more power and break free. As after the Grave spirit was resealed December says "This world and the world of men will know a new age, an age of eternal winter! Your heroes will be consumed, and their strength will be added unto mine!" So it shows he is still going to consume and ascend.

Ya Pandora's box does seem like it could be a Tyrant in prison or hiding, and Chompy could be or some other entity.

Actually, Tyrants are implied to be most gifted among those from Malifaux's utopian days, who went mad with power.

That's the plot element I'm wondering about.

Where is that from I am forgetting. I have always loved the Tyrants so its great learning the most about them.

That would not be false with the current plot points as they are now because there is no reason they could still not be the best and brightest.

Only one was imprisoned actually and he has been a big focus the last 2 books.

Ah yes, the prison was for Cherufe only.

The time-line hammers out thusly.

TEs start ruining everything for everyone.

Cherufe ends up being that dude who always takes things too far.

TEs team up with the Malifauxians whom their at war with to banish Cherufe.

Malifauxians succeed in their scorched earth tactic and wipe out themselves and the TEs, with exceptions regarding December, Plagued, and of Cherufe, who was safe in space the whole time.

Edited by Jonas Albrecht

I've been assuming The Nytemare is a tyrant entity since I first saw Book 2. He's secretive, works through a human vessel, and at least starts off in direct opposition to the rest of the Neverborn masters. Very Tyrant-y.

He doesn't really work through a human vessel. He's in a partnership with the astral projection of a boy whom he cannot overtly control.

RE: The Gorgon.

Are we sure she's a TE? I could have sworn she was more closely associated with the plane that was opened to kill off the TEs, and not one herself.

Based on the talk with Zoraida, Pandora and Lilith at the end of Book 1, it seems like Gorgon is a Tyrant...but she doesn't care about ascending at all. Where the other Tyrants are still working on whatever plans they had before, Gorgon seems to have gotten ticked off and wants to just kill everything.

Based on the talk with Zoraida, Pandora and Lilith at the end of Book 1, it seems like Gorgon is a Tyrant...but she doesn't care about ascending at all. Where the other Tyrants are still working on whatever plans they had before, Gorgon seems to have gotten ticked off and wants to just kill everything.

I dunno, I'll have to read that when I get home, but they don't really seem to peg her as a TE so much as a unknown player.

I never really thought the Grave Spirit was a Tyrant. Wasn't the Grave Spirit what the inhabitants of Malifaux brought in through Kythera in order to combat the TEs?

The way it is described in the fluff, I always saw it as some sort of extradimensional entity - death energy itself made sentient.

That was my take as well. That it was the source of the "necrotic radiation" that killed off the Tyrant-Entities.

Edited by Jonas Albrecht

I think they refer to her as a specter... (shrug) I don't know. I do wish I had my book one on hand though. Need to get that back and read everything in its entirety.

And didn't they refer to December as a spectre as well? I wasn't quite sure if that was just the term being pegged to the entities that are incredibly powerful but actually unknown or if it was just being used as a synonym for Tyrant.