Quick Terraclips review

Omenbringer

For those interested...

My inital Gencon purchase included 1 box of each of the Terraclips boxes and a single box of connectors. After unboxing everything here are my thoughts on the product. First, the product is made with cardboard not plasticard like I had read somewhere. The good news is that it is a lot thicker then the ones unveiled during last years Gencon. For reference the card is about as thick as the tiles found in the Carcassone or Settlers of Catan games. Durabilitiy in the larger pieces shouldn't be an issue though it might be with a few of the Railing pieces due to the smaller dimensions. Warping from humidity should not be an issue (though I reserve the right to change my mind once I get back home to the Big Easy where humidity is like 110%).

Second, Terraclips will not require as many boxes as the posted dimensions seem to suggest. My initial purchase was 1 box of each set and one box of connectors. When I got to the hotel and unboxed everything the first night I was worried about not having enough to complete a full board, so I bought another box of each today. After having played around with them tonight in the Hotel room I can say that you probably wont need 2 of each set (though more sets will allow a lot more complexity in the layouts). One additional note on the set contents, each set includes both floor pieces and vertical pieces (even the street set will have some 6" and 3" long walls that are approximately 3" tall and some that are much lower like railings and such). Between the Buildings and Street Sets there is plenty of terrain for a standard size table. If you add in the Sewer set you can build a fantastic table complete with multiple elevations (all sets feature stairs and ladders to facilitate transitions between different elevations). If the budget allows for it however, the ones I would recommend doubling up on are the Buildings and/ or Sewers (the former if you want alot of buildings on the board and the later if you plan on doing a full Sewers table).

Third, the connectors are a must and need to be purchased seperately as none come in the boxes. After playing around with my sets I would suggest that at a minimum you will need 1 box of connectors per set. This will allow tons of variety from the system. The only connector that is missing from the set is a couple of 4 way pieces (especially useful for the Sewers and Buildings sets). The connectors fit tightly (hard to say at this point if it is going to soften up after repeated use) and are fairly subdued in appearance, however you will notice them on the white walls especially. The card board pieces have a slight cut out where you place the connectors to get them flush (be careful with the smaller railing like pieces as pushing and pulling on the connectors can bend or rip them). When building stuff that you want to be able to play inside of I would recommend not attaching each level to the one below it with more then one clip. And additionally if you are planning oon spanning very large gaps I would suggest adding in a few support walls to the underside to keep them from bowing under the weight of minis (the individual floor tiles are thick enough to support even the heaviest of models however as you increase the distance you will seeing bowing if it is not supported). Each set includes several self standing doors (by adding the little card board supports). These are great for marking which doors are closed and which are opened has the side benefit of allowing the wall sections to represent both internal and external walls.

The artwork is very nicely done and there is plenty of variety in each set. Unlike another companies terrain sets these will fit well into non-Malifaux games (they dont have tons of skulls and gaudy flair on every square inch of the structure). The 1" grid that had a lot of people worried isn't very noticeable, the standard 6" x 6" or 3" x 3" sizing of the floor tiles is way more noticeable (if you really focus you can barely pick out the grid). As a bonus each set has circular counters which can be placed inside of some spare 30mm bases to help you keep track of those pesky corpse or body part tokens (there are also a few white X's for marking objectives, a treasure hunt counter and a few that i assume are soulstone counters * each set will have these).

The only downsides I have found with the Terraclips are the cost, the weight and the lack of a layout guide. For the cost each set is really more like $68.00 then $50.00 because of the need to purchase the connectors seperately. For those of you that are planning on having these shipped the weight is going to add up quickly, each box is somewhere near 5 pounds ( I can tell you that I was tempted to hire a sherpa to carry the second set I purchased the six blocks to my car). A layout guide would have been nice to have in the box since after a 13 hour drive to Gencon, a Puppetwars game that stole some sleep, and a full day of helping at the booth I had a bit of difficulty figuring things out the first night (after talking with one of the Wyrd staff it seems that this might be avaialble afterall on the Worldworks site).

All in all I can say that I would definately recommend these sets to other mini gamers (with a little hobby knife work these could really flesh out a Mordheim table) and even to roleplaying gamers (another target audience for the product) looking for assistance depicting playing situations three dimensionally.

I will post some pictures of the product once I get back home and have access to the "good" camera. If you have any specific questions feel free to post them and I'll see if I can answer them.

I am waiting on these at my FLGS.

One thing to ask, did you watch any of the video tutorials before you bought them. I know one of the thing they said is you don't need to clip every corner. Which might mean you can stretch one set of connectors between two sets.

I am waiting on these at my FLGS.

One thing to ask, did you watch any of the video tutorials before you bought them. I know one of the thing they said is you don't need to clip every corner. Which might mean you can stretch one set of connectors between two sets.

Yes I watched those and got a few behind the scenes hints while working the Wyrd Booth. Even not clipping every corner you are going to need/ want multiples of the connector packs(especially if you want a lot of elevation/ layers in your layouts). I played with them for 5 hours last night instead of catching up on some much needed sleep.

• 2 weeks later...

Figured I would post an update after the prodigious ammount of construction I did this last week (Will get some pictures up soon, I was so enthralled I completely forgot to snap some).

Found one more minor durability concern with the Terraclips (present across all the currently released sets) that I feel needs to be included with the above for completeness. The arches and doors, though very nice (especially with the added benefit of being able to simulate being opened or closed) are a weak spot for sure. When assembling and dis-assembling these pieces extra care should be exercised to prevent the dreaded door fold. My suspicion is that these will rip before any of the other sections because of these folds (except for the ladders which I ripped two of detaching from the cardboard sprue (?)).

They dont come with connectors? How do you assemble the vertical structures without them?

Seems a bit remiss.

Connectors are separate. My understanding is you don't end up needing one connector set for each set of terraclips.

My FLGS just called, they got them in. So I guess I gotta swing by tomorrow and buy some

Connectors are separate. My understanding is you don't end up needing one connector set for each set of terraclips.

You could probably get by with 2 sets of connectors, though when you start getting crazy with multiple elevations and complex buildings you will quickly run low on some.

...and the lack of a layout guide.

This really surprised me after opening my boxes of Streets and Buildings.

I know the sets are meant for players to show their creativity and imagination blah blah blah...

But how about at least providing the guide for assembling the rather complex roofed, balconied building pictured on the box as a way to familiarize players with working with the pieces?

This is a major oversight in my opinion.

I do not own a set yet, the LGS is buying one of each which I think is a bad idea.

Too many ham fisted Space Marine types wanting to "make it better" and snap goes the terraclips. We'll see of course, but taking it apart and putting it together multiple times a day is asking for trouble.

No to mention pop , coffee, pizza stains. . . .

Nice review, Rhellion.

@Patricula - if you treat it like a lego set for gamers, arguably you don't need an assembly guide. However, there are basic guidelines on the box and videos on Youtube to get you started. It is definitely a hobby product, though, as it seems that there is a skill to learning when to clip and when not to. Even with an assembly guide, that is a skill you would need to learn at some point once you decided to make something else.

I am still of the opinion that the Buildings sets hold the most promise, although I will find out for sure when mine arrive (watching the Maelstrom website daily!).

@ManicMic - it seems to be a product best assembled ahead of time and left in that form for as long as possible, but in the interests of letting prospective customers play with it and try it out, your LGS seems to have the right idea.

@Patricula - if you treat it like a lego set for gamers, arguably you don't need an assembly guide. However, there are basic guidelines on the box and videos on Youtube to get you started. It is definitely a hobby product, though, as it seems that there is a skill to learning when to clip and when not to. Even with an assembly guide, that is a skill you would need to learn at some point once you decided to make something else.

But even Lego sets all come with a step by step guide on how to build the vehicle/building/thing pictured on the box. This allows the owner to assemble the thing that they saw when they bought the product as well as getting a feel for what the set can and can't do.

And even in 2011, I think it's a poor business practice to just expect your customers to "go online to get the information that we left out of our packaging". And, I'd much rather follow along to a printed guide laid out on the table where I'm assembling than trying to follow a YouTube video.

I suppose I should go check out the videos. Maybe they'll surprise me.

[i'm probably a little too grumpy this morning to be posting on the internet. *ha-rumph!* ]

I didn't use any instructions or watch any videos, and I was pretty intimidated after punching out everything and setting it on the table.

My advice: start with some structures and go from there (if using buildings). I built a couple 4 sided houses, then graduated to a house with an addition. After that I started a layout by placing all my tiles out to see how it all covered a 3x3 board. Then I just started clipping them together, and adding to stuff. Before I knew it I had a 2 story manor-house with balconies, a second tier of the streets, and a ramped up area.

Having watched the videos I guess I can say that I might have been over thinking it a bit. And I suppose their target audience are people are gamers who are used to hunting down information and dealing with companies that don't provide instructions or are people who just don't need or like instructions.

I'll just have to start building and learn as I go and stop griping.