Viktoria's swords wion't stay on

poi

Rasputina and her crew went together beautifully, as did most of Viktoria's, but I'm struggling with pokey Vik's swords.

:viktoria1

With such a small contact area and no room for pinning, anybody have any handy tips?

Edited by poi

Sadly most of the time the green stuff and glue won’t work IMO... I tried a few.

Eventually after some cursing and moaning I resorted to the tried and tested confrontation (rakham) method (cause all their fiddly bits break off lol). Pinned with a staple and small bit like Iamwyrd said. Now you can hold her sword and shake the whole mini. Also I switched to Lock-tite gel last year rather than superglue. Works wonders better hold and dry time and wont leak.

Hope this helps.

Edited by durek

I've never found greenstuff to help glue anything together.

I pinned mine. I'd also recommend you have a good glue. I've found that the glue used really does make a difference in the durability of a join. Dollar store superglue won't cut it, nor will zap-a-gap or lock-tite or some other brands. Personally i'd recommend Gorilla brand superglue.

Pinning is your Friend, and one of the first things I try to teach people new to mini games. In the 20+ years I've been gaming I've learned the hard way, if it looks like it will break pin it, if it supports weight pin it, if you have any doubt whether you should pin or not pin it!!

Any decent game/hobby/train shop should have a pin vise and bits to enable you to pin anything down to the size needed for Victoria's swords using small paperclips as pin stock. If you need to pin things smaller you can get smaller bits to drill the holes and use fine brass rod, wire, plain guitar strings, ect as pin stock.

I've never found greenstuff to help glue anything together.

You put glue on both sides of the join, a tiny blob of green stuff on one side and then press together. It helps in some joins, especially if the surfaces are uneven and don't fit together all that well, but I don't see it working in Vicky's case.

I pinned mine and also glued the pommels to her butt to make 2 more contact points for extra strength, however, it's not the best solution as they now are very prone to bending during transportation if not carefully packed.

Here is a link for a uk modellers tool suppliers box of various pin drill bits, allows for some of the smallest items to be pinned quite easily with brass rod or paperclips depending on bit size.

http://www.tinytools.co.uk/Model_Craft-Drill_Bits_&_Drill_Holders/c20_22/p194/Microbox_Shanked_Drill_Set_%2810%29_0.5_to_2.2mm/product_info.html

http://www.tinytools.co.uk/p1200/Microbox_Drill_Set_%2820%29_61_to_80/product_info.html - smaller bits

Edited by Rumpole

I treated my self to some new pins for this model, I used a .85mm as this is an exact fit for the brass paper clips I was using. The left hand is very easy, the right is slightly more tricky.

Now that I have the fine pins I have used them alot on my other Malifaux models, I should be putting my Hoffman bits together this week I think they are going to get alot of use then.

Something else to try is cross hatching the join area as it gives the glue more surface to join to.

I've had it done on one of my Minas Tirith knights, whose lances were notorious for breaking off (as the too were joined at the wrist). The guy I got to do it for me (I have only a theoretical knowledge of soldering) did it very carefully, and the only part he melted other than the solder was a very small amount (<1mm) of the knight's arm.