Mako's Crew(s)

Mako

underdog6750: well the old avatar should fit the bill then?

otherwise you can go have a look at the bushido and kensei range, theyre comming out with some more mytical creatures in the kensei range now.

or possibly the jouney kickstarter when that turns up for real might have something for you?

Another fine article in the Chronicle, most appreciated.  I really enjoy these and have one sight suggestion.  I find myself wishing that the article would lead off with a photo of the completed model, so I have some idea of what the end result is without having to go searching through the file for the end to see what the result is.  Just a thought.

Dave

• Like 1

It's Vallejo game colour turquoise, it's sometimes called falcon turquoise but my bottle just says turquoise. An awesome colour, one of my favourites.

Dave - I've thought about that myself, but I wanted to avoid the issue I've seen before, where people see the finished model and skip the rest because they assume they can't do it. I went for the completed images at the end to show how lots of small steps build up instead. Seemed more encouraging, in a weird way. I want people to give it a go, after all!

• Like 1

thanks for your tutorials, Mako.
I re-read the one on the puppet wars minis (WC 6) yesterday. I love going back to it to refresh my knowledge and to remind myself not to rush through the annoying parts like cleaning and green stuffing the model. I often notice myself gravitating towards colours and techniques I already feel comfortable with, your stuff motivates me to keep on trying :D
</fandom>

just out of curiosity, I'm sure you've answered the question before somewhere.. how long have you been painting?

• Like 1

Er... A while :P

I dabbled in it when I was young, for about three or four years. I was pretty rubbish though, my brush control was lousy. I kind of drifted away until I went to uni, when I ended up getting back into it along with a couple of friends (at least one of whom is on this forum these days, small world...). That friend had a natural talent for it that made me want to push myself, and for the last ten or eleven years I've painted vaguely regularly, and been focussed on improving and trying out new tricks. I have a LOT of brush hours in my past!

• 4 weeks later...

It's a small world after all...

It's a small, small, world...

*ahem* I've not done much lately; international moving then job hunting is somewhat time consuming. Have to move again now as well, I start my new job soon...

Still, one day I'll have all my stuff and some free time again. Then, painting!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I'm so sorry to inform you Mako but you've obviously done something wrong with this one because my desire to cuddle it is in huge conflict with the length of its claws. Seriously though, EVERYTHING about it is very, very, very cool. The rug is a REALLY cool idea and I haven't seen anyone actually make Miss 'Ery' look fluffy before now. All the nice little touches like the love heart patch, mismatched furr, tarten, the shading on all aforementioned materials and the way you've made them all look uniquely textured really bring the model to life! Thanks once again for sharing your method!

• Like 1

Thanks folks!

She was a lot of fun to do. Partly based off a teddy bear my sister had many years back, if I'm honest. Would probably avoid a hug though...

I've not seen an albino Cojo to beat yours yet, D - I'm still avoiding getting him for that reason! ;)

• Like 2

Heh, funny you should mention that. In a few more weeks I'll finally have my painting lamp, Jakob's crew, and all the paints I need for them. After months of waiting for basic supplies to be on sale in, or shipped from, Canada I'll be able to get on with the crew.

Though at the moment I'm trying to get my PHR done some more, so they'll probably happen first.

Oh Sure Mako: Steal my purple-with-white-hearts idea for a teddy! :P

Hope the move went smoothly and I pray for your minis to ship in a relatively single piece! I know Steve from WWPD had his shipped from NZ and they were just butchered by the time they got there.

...am I reading it right that she's transforming the mundane road of Malifaux to be a playground? (If so, fascinating idea!)

Personally, I agree with Mako: the new Kirai is a bit too coquettish and lacking that sadness/rage from before. I have an idea for a diorama that may fix that, but for the time being, I'm really mostly eager to use the new Ikiryo (which I prefer the look of). Funnily, the new Seishin look more aggressive than their spirit fluff/station suggests!

For me, the real odd one out is the lost love. To be honest the old metal wasn't vastly better, I just don't think they quite nailed the 'wistful, mournful' so much as the 'shot in the chest and gore and stuff".

Vaiuri: You need not wait for Mako and hope he does red lacquered, I shall self-aggrandize and show mine off!

• Like 1