Does Not Die question

meph2000

Question

On the stitched together they have does not die, now combine this with Gamble for your live and it gives you a win win situation. You just kill the stitched before you want to "gamble" which activates the stitched and then keep gambling untill the opponent dies. If the stitched loses it just reactivates if it wins it does damage and with a max damage of 7 not much can be done to stop bloody murder if you time it right. Anyone see fault in my logic?

16 answers to this question

And on another point, the damage from 'gamble your life' can be cheated. Does this mean the duel can't end in a negative twist if u want to cheat it (as per normal duel rules?) or can it always be cheated? i.e. If im the stitched player and I lose the duel by more than 6, I must flip two and take the lowest. I flip two severs. Can I cheat it with a weak?

Not all damage flips are cheatable. Take a look at Pandora and Candy's spell Self-Loathing. It states that it is an uncheatable damage flip. When making a straight damage flip there are times it is uncheatable (such as damage from falling, or damaging breakable terrain) It says it may be cheated if it can be.

I can understand making a distinction if a damage flip cant be cheated, as in the Guild Guard's Mauser (after dealing sever damage), but why make a distinction if the damage flip is to be treated as a normal, cheatable flip? And what of the damage flips that state nothing at all (as in the Judge's Judged spell)?

I can understand making a distinction if a damage flip cant be cheated, as in the Guild Guard's Mauser (after dealing sever damage), but why make a distinction if the damage flip is to be treated as a normal, cheatable flip? And what of the damage flips that state nothing at all (as in the Judge's Judged spell)?

It's not always a "distinction". Malifaux special rules often repeat the basic rules on the cards, to remind the players.

Players from other systems automatically assume there must be an exception if something is mentioned in a Special Rule, but in Malifaux if there were an exception, it'd be stated directly (i.e. it would say you can cheat even if it is a negative flip). As is, it simply repeats basic rules.

So let's see if I follow the logic on this. Please correct me if I am wrong;

When the attacker finds himself in a normal or positive twist on damage, but the card states cannot be cheated, then the player just flips 1 or 2 cards and the damage is what it is.

Conversely,

The attacker is in a negative twist on damage but the card states the damage CAN be cheated, does that mean the player flips 1,2,3 etc takes the lowest BUT cheats from their hand instead?

If the damage system that is already well established in the game which states, winning the duel by 11 or more, positive twist, 6 or more normal twist, and these two can be cheated.

Losing by 5 or less, negative twist or the score is tied double negative twist, this damage flip cannot be cheated.

If we know this, then why are their some instances on certain cards that state can or cannot be cheated? Are these instances circumventing the normal rules of cheatable or non cheatable damage?

I think the standard cheating rules apply to a damage flip unless distinctly stated otherwise. An effect that says "this flip may be cheated" does NOT (in my non-badge opinion) circumvent the usual rules, it is simply restating the basics. This likely represent instances of redundancy from v1 iterations of the stat cards; text that will likely be removed in future reprints. Or, the rules writer simply felt that players would benefit from a reminder, possibly believing there was room for doubt one way or the other.

Now, if an effect states that it "cannot be cheated", to me that says no cheating period, even on a positive three. Likewise, "may be cheated regardless of fate modifier" indicates the ability to cheat even in the face of a negative twist. Anything else is, well, exactly what it says, however it reads.

This has been rules in one thread and I've linked to the answer in two other threads, so search is your friend. For the record, it works like any duel flip for damage, i.e. you draw its a double neg which can't be cheated, win by 1-5 and it's a neg which can't be cheated, 6-10 a neutral which may be cheated, 11+ a positive which may be cheated.

Also, irrespective of who wins the duel, the stitched player is always the one who cheats when permitted (i.e. if you lose your opponent doesn't get to cheat it)

Also, irrespective of who wins the duel, the stitched player is always the one who cheats when permitted (i.e. if you lose your opponent doesn't get to cheat it)

This part has me confused. So if I have a Stitched and I Gamble My Life with a Belle and the Belle wins by 7, the Belle player flips a card for damage. I can play one of my cards out of my hand to cheat the damage up or down? Am I misreading what you're suggesting?

This part has me confused. So if I have a Stitched and I Gamble My Life with a Belle and the Belle wins by 7, the Belle player flips a card for damage. I can play one of my cards out of my hand to cheat the damage up or down? Am I misreading what you're suggesting?

Slightly :)

The Stitched Player always flips for damage and always cheats if permitted (i.e. if you're losing and want to cheat, make sure you lose big;))