Help picking my first Master

Hayleyish

Hi folks,

I've decided to jump full tilt into Malifaux and try and get myself in shape to take part in a local tournament in just over a month. If I start slow, I'll end up having an unpainted box set for the next year so I prefer getting in at the deep end!

Based on looks, I've narrowed it down to The Viktorias, Seamus or Colette but I could use a bit of help picking one. I'd probably prefer to play aggressively.

The tournament will be 35 SS so I came up with some starter lists for each from reading these forums and some battle reports.

I'd really appreciate some thoughts on which will be best to learn in a short space of time. Also any advice on good additions/variations to these lists to make them more flexible without me having to paint too many more models would be awesome! We can change our crew game to game, just not the Master/Henchman.

Viktoria -- 6 Cache

Von Schill

Convict Gunslinger

Freikorps Librarian

Taelor

Colette Du Bois -- 8 Cache

1 Mechanical Dove

Cassandra, Magician's Apprentice

Coryphee

Performer & Mannequin

Performer & Mannequin

Seamus, The Mad-Hatter -- 6 Cache

Bete Noire

Jack Daw

Rotten Belles

Rotten Belles

Rotten Belles

My background is Warhammer Fantasy, a bit of Warmahordes, and lots of strategy board games in case anyone likes to know that sort of thing.

Thanks!

They are all fun masters and I really don't know what else to tell ya in terms of which one to play. I can tell ya something about your lists that will help you immensly though.

For colette replace one of the performer/man sets with a second corphyee, the duet is a lot better and even starting with 7 ss your not gonna lag behind with her ability to make more super fast.

And for seamus replacing bete with a hanged and taking a few extra ss wouldn't hurt either. It would probably help out a bit.

Other then that they all have a very unique playstyle so you should take some practice games with each to see who you like more and go that way.

Well I'll chime in for Seamus, I think you will find a lot more utility and power form dropping Bete and adding an The Hanged and a grave spirit. It is a brutal an very effective duo with Seamus and keeps the crew very duarble. The Hanged also have good damage output too.

Hi folks,

I'd probably prefer to play aggressively.

If you want quick to learn, and an aggressive playstyle then I'd go Viktorias. You probably won't win a tournament with them (which is pretty unlikely if you are just starting anyway) but you can certainly place well up the table.

I recently played in a 35pts tournament with;

Viks

3 x Ronin

Freikorps Librarian (great for healing both Viks)

Then either

Freikorps Trapper or Convict Gunslinger

...with a cache of 7 or 8 SS to bring it up to 35SS.

You could probably get away with just the Viks and the VonSchill boxset, but the Ronin are very good for their points, and complement the Viks playstyle nicely, as they have movement buffs which can help them keep up with the fast-moving Viks (and you can bring back a Vik by sacrificing a Ronin).

If you didn't want the Friekorps then Taelor and the Convict Gunslinger or maybe 1 or 2 Desperate Mercenaries could work well.

See the Tactica I link to below, but essentially the Viks have one basic tactic that they do extremely well. Charge in and cut things up. I am usually in melee by turn 2, always by turn 3. Viks and Ronin all have Melee expert which I really missed when I was playing a VonSchill crew. Start with a large cache, and use it to keep your Viks alive and make sure that what they hit dies.

Hi folks,

Colette Du Bois -- 8 Cache

1 Mechanical Dove

Cassandra, Magician's Apprentice

Coryphee

Performer & Mannequin

Performer & Mannequin

If you were to play this list you absolutely have to drop a performer and mannequin (or the dove) for another Coryphee. The Coryphee are murderous as a duet, but vulnerable on their own.

Collette is a very hard crew to learn and play. Not to be recommended if you are just starting out. They can be very competitive though...

Thanks for the help!

You may want to check out the link in my sig.

Already had, thanks, it helped me come up with these lists :-)

Seamus is looking a lot more complete now :)

Thank you! I'd read it earlier when there was only the two sections complete so I went back.

If you want quick to learn, and an aggressive playstyle then I'd go Viktorias. You probably won't win a tournament with them (which is pretty unlikely if you are just starting anyway) but you can certainly place well up the table.

See the Tactica I link to below, but essentially the Viks have one basic tactic that they do extremely well. Charge in and cut things up. I am usually in melee by turn 2, always by turn 3. Viks and Ronin all have Melee expert which I really missed when I was playing a VonSchill crew. Start with a large cache, and use it to keep your Viks alive and make sure that what they hit dies.

Thanks, I will have a look at the tactica. I should say I'm not bothered about winning, I just don't want to be so uncompetitive that it's boring for people to play me! Also, I think there might be a prize for last place :-D

If you were to play this list you absolutely have to drop a performer and mannequin (or the dove) for another Coryphee. The Coryphee are murderous as a duet, but vulnerable on their own.

Collette is a very hard crew to learn and play. Not to be recommended if you are just starting out. They can be very competitive though...

I'm leaning towards Colette, even though she looks like the hardest one to play out of these. I really love the Coryphee models and the duet concept.

Decisions, decisions.

I think I might just head down the FLGS and see what he's got in stock!

Of your choices I have Viki, and Colette. I would avoid Colette as first choice because her play style is that of avoidance and opportunity. They are an amazing crew but if its your only crew choice I would go with Vikis, they are more direct and are better for a first choice. I do not know Seamus so I can not help there.

If you were to play this list you absolutely have to drop a performer and mannequin (or the dove) for another Coryphee. ...

I cringe whenever I read something like this..

Less absolutism please!

While the advise you're giving might be solid, don't tell people that there's something they MUST do.. (Unless they're directly breaking the rules anyway.)

Thank you very much and my apologies for an utterly useless post here.. You may continue..

Less absolutism please!

While the advise you're giving might be solid, don't tell people that there's something they MUST do.. (Unless they're directly breaking the rules anyway.)

Thank you very much and my apologies for an utterly useless post here.. You may continue..

I agree in general with your statement, but I have to agree that a single corephee is to fragile to do any thing. one hit and it dies, yes its hard to hit in general, but one soulstone to kill a 7 point models is work it. the duet on the other hand is really hard to hit and can take it, then heal up.

Less absolutism please!

While the advise you're giving might be solid, don't tell people that there's something they MUST do..

Point taken, but I think anyone else would have understood 'absolutely' as used commonly as an 'informal intensifier' rather than expressing compulsion.

I'm not having a dig at the foreigner, but in the UK I don't think anyone would have felt I was overstepping the bounds of enthusiastic recommendation.