Project Marcus: A lucky man's attempt.

ukrocky

So with some left over monies to spend on toys, and as someone who's always wanted to do Marcus, I'm making my humble start.

A quick bit about me;

- I'm a massive tournament player, and have been across many systems.

- In Warhammer Fantasy 7th I used the armies that were considered 'poo' and turned them into competitive armies and consistently placed well at big events.

- I have a tiny ego

- I've recently won 3 malifaux tournaments in a row, twice with Collodi, and once with Ophelia, and I lay it all down to lucky draws and lucky cards, and my 2 red jokers.

So after going forward and backward through all the books over the last few hours, whilst watching some very fast cars go around a track in Turkey, I've come up with the following shopping list;

Marcus

Jackalope

3 Slurrids

Waldergeist Blister

Ceberus

So, so far so normal, now, onto my slightly 'different' plan;

Kaeris proxy

Gunsmith proxy/Convict

Silent one

2 x Desperate Mercs

WHAT?!? I know. Shocking.

So this gives me 50SS worth of models, and I'll usually be playing 35SS games, here's a couple sample lists with the plans;

List 1 - Objective time!

This list is to be used for objective based games, such as destroy evidence, recconoitre etc. (obviously dependant on opponent too!)

Marcus + 3SS

Jackalope

3 Slurrids

Waldgeist

Desperate Merc

Ceberus

Raptor

So you got the usual Slurrids gunning for objectives, with a fairly fast moving list, that can hit hard and pick off models if need be.

List 2 - Kill stuff. Cos it's fun.

Well if something like slaughter is flipped, the slurrids become slightly less useful (still good!) and the list will change to something like;

Marcus

Jackalope

Waldgeist

Kaeris

Silent One

Gunsmith/Convict

Desperate Merc

Raptor

So quite a shooty list, with Marcus being the combat hitter. Silent one gives Kaeris frozen heart, with smouldering heart, oh the irony, then the gunsmith and goes for North wind. This allows me to force the opponent to come to me, hit them with marcus. If marcus goes I've still got a decent (ish) leader in kaeris and can still keep the damage going. This one is pure theory, and might now work. Raptor is there to dish out beast.

Games will start coming after my uni exams in a month, and I'll keep y'all updated!

Comments etc. appreciated!

Nice to see more players taking up the Marcus-challenge :)

So quite a shooty list, with Marcus being the combat hitter. Silent one gives Kaeris frozen heart, with smouldering heart, oh the irony, then the gunsmith and goes for North wind. This allows me to force the opponent to come to me, hit them with marcus. If marcus goes I've still got a decent (ish) leader in kaeris and can still keep the damage going. This one is pure theory, and might now work. Raptor is there to dish out beast.

She could Freeze either Kaeris' or the Gunsmiths Heart, not both of them in the same turn..? :S

Silent Ones are also rather slow compared to both Kaeris and the Gunsmith.. For her cost you could simply include another Gunsmith..

Main deal of gaining Frozen Heart on Kaeris to me as a Rasputina player would be the +1 Dg from Gamins that she receives which means so much more for Kaeris than for everyone else (due to the amount of attacks she can unleash and the high relative damage increase to her normally weak attacks).

But hey, I haven't played that oddball list either, so what do I know, just theorizing some criticism on your theorized list, lol..

What do you expect to gain from turning models into Beasts? Unless you wish to spend Marcus' actions on healing them there doesn't seem to me much gain in it to me.. Or of course protecting Marcus.. Hmm.. That might be better, but it'd be a mismatch of Ranges most of the time.. Or is it the opponent you want to turn Enrage? xD (Why was that the last thing I thought of..? =x )

Ah well, again just some theorizing from here that will hopefully be understood as a miserable attempt on constructive criticism.. :)

More Marcus, Yay!

Well I've been planning the Marcus train for about a year now, so it's high time I jumped on it as opposed to metaphorically riding my metaphorical motorbike alongside the metaphorical train.

Thankyou very, very much for the constructive critiscim of theoreticalness, but to pick up on a few things;

- The silent one giving frozen heart, does that last until the start close phase or for more than one turn? If the former than I've misunderstood and she'll get changed!

- The raptor giving beast is there for a bit of flexibility. If I find after a few games I'm not using it then I'll swap it to a 2nd desp. merc. But one thought was turning an enemy into beast if I have good cards in hand, but thats very, very situational. If the worst comes to the worst I'll swap it!

As said, I've got a month before I start gaming with the list so plenty more theory, and when I start I'll let y'all know how it goes!

In which case I'd be tempted to;

Drop Silent one

Drop Jackalope

Add Desp Merc.

Add Student of Conflict

Traditionally the student is just too slow to keep up with Marcus. (I've tried)

But I suppose he would work better in this list where you plan on sitting back and shooting more.

You could connect the student on Kaeris, and not drop the jackolope. His mulitply ability can easily keep him up with Marcus. (you are turning the

foes to beast with the trigger before he kills them right...) And for a similar reason he can be hard to get rid of, so might give Marcus a defend me target.

All for one soulstone

• 1 month later...

So got my first game with Marcus tonite, strategy was shared destroy the evidence, and I took;

Marcus

Kaeris

Student of Conflict

3 x Slurrids

Desperate Mercenary

Moleman

6SS cache

And I was up against;

Perdita

Enslaved Nephilim

Papa Loco

Nino

Santiago

Franciso

Abuela

4SS cache

Schemes for me were; The arcanist interact (1) one and live, and Kill protegee vs Santiago.

Schemes for Perdita were; Assassinate vs Kaeris. Assassinate vs Marcus.

Ace.

So, turn 1 I companioned Marcus, Student of conflict, gave the slurrid fast, 0'd with Marcus to allow the slurrid next to him to activate after him, wandered up a bit. Slurrid then leaped, moved once and interacted with the neutral objective in the middle.

1-0

Everyone moved around a bit, Kaeris was the final model to activate, she moved up once, shot francisco for 1 with her ignite, then finished him off with immolate. Good start young lady.

Turn 2 rocked around, and the first model to activate was papa loco who had been obeyed toward the middle, and without having played him before, he blew up taking out 2 slurrids, with marcus and a slurrid resisting. I then activated marcus, did wild heart to give him cg as wk, and +2 df, walked once, interacted with the mine cart for 1 and then realised he doesn't have 3 actions. Man I'm a pro.

So Marcus was now out in the open with Perdita and Nino facing him, with Santiago creeping up round the side. I needed Marcus to live for the 2 VPs. So the majority of the turn came down to how long Marcus could live for, and after using the majority of my soulstones, he came out having taken 6 wounds by the end of the turn, giving me 2 VPs.

3-0

The remaining slurrid leaped again, and interacted with my first evidence marker. The desperate merc tried to shoot papa and failed, and it eventually came down to kaeris to try and kill him but she failed.

Turn 3 came around, and Kaeris was the first model to activate, she took down Papa and popped down a flame wall between Marcus and perdita and nino. The family then activated, and after learning that Nino CAN see through the flames Marcus had a bit more dodging to do, but between him and the sacrfice of his galliant mole he scraped through with 2 wounds left.

Marcus then charged into santiago, did 3 damage with his first hit from the free charge, 4 damage with his second hit and then managed to black joker the wound flip on his final strike. What a pro. Santiago failed to hit Marcus so Mr. Marcus lived through the turn.

The slurrid then activated, leaped over to the objective in my opponents deployment zone and destroyed it for 2 VPs. The despy merc died after putting 3 wounds on nino.

5-0

Turn 4 rocked around and I won the initiative. Woop. Marcus went first and my plan was hit santiago with my free hit from wild heart, move back twice for 16" and live. So, first hit, I hit, and flip the black Joker. Sigh. So I had to use the first action to finally hit him and kill him off after 5 hits. Protegee killed.

7-0

Marcus then backed off hiding behind a high wall. Perdita managed to get the slimmest off shots off at Marcus but he lived. The final model to activate was kaeris who managed to finish off Kaeris with ignite + immolate.

Turn 6 came and Perdita charged into Marcus, finishing him at the first opportunity

7-2

My slurrid leapt and then interacted with the final bit of evidence.

8-2

Kaeris was stuck in the open and ended up having abuela and perdita stuck into her after putting 4 wounds on abuela. She held out for the end of the turn but the student got obeyed into the combat, charging kaeris too, and ended up in the ensuing brawl in the middle.

Flip to see if the game ends, a 10, poo.

Turn seven saw Kaeris eventually fall,

8-4

and leaving me with a student of conflict left on one wound, abuela also died to the student in turn 6 by the way.

Perdita destroyed one piece of evidence and moved toward the other, and was followed by the student, trying to get between her and the evidence in my zone. The enslaved nephillim moved into base contact with the other piece of evidence.

Flip to see if the game ends, a 13. Poo!

So turn 8 began and perdita escaped the student's grasps to interact with the evidence in my deployment.

8-6.

The student then ran over to engage the enslaved nephilim, and stop him from destroying the final piece of evidence for an 8-6 win. Phew. I then realised a little while after the game that totems die when their masters do, so the student should have gone when kaeris did, making it

8-8!

So a draw game one for Marcus!

Edited by ukrocky

The final model to activate was kaeris who managed to finish off Kaeris with ignite + immolate.

Good report mate. Nice read and easy to follow. Fate obviously wasnt kind on the end of turn flips though! 8-2 to 8-8!!

Strategy was good though and by all accounts you should have one, so despite the draw, show's the effectiveness of that crew for that Strategy.

Just a note, the quote above might need a bit of a tweak, unless kaeris actually killed herself?! Lol

Good report mate. Nice read and easy to follow. Fate obviously wasnt kind on the end of turn flips though! 8-2 to 8-8!!

Strategy was good though and by all accounts you should have one, so despite the draw, show's the effectiveness of that crew for that Strategy.

Just a note, the quote above might need a bit of a tweak, unless kaeris actually killed herself?! Lol

i believe kaeris shot nino, as it is the only one left at that moment and the only one that didn't shoot at something after kaeris killed "herself" ;)

but i have to agree, nice read and very easy to follow :)

well, that always happens to me :P when i need an extra round, i flip 1-4 if i'm winning and don't need the extra round, i flip 11-13. fate always abandons me at these crucial moments :P

I ike your Idea with the silent one... poorly he is that slow...

maybe with Myranda and an essence you could so something like a shooting base while your quick elements run through...

Something like this:

Arcanists Crew - 35 - Scrap

Marcus -- 4 Cache

Kaeris [8ss]

Essence of Power [2ss]

Malifaux Raptor [2ss]

Myranda [7ss]

Silent One [6ss]

Silurid [5ss]

Silurid [5ss]

I like the raptor for giving Beast to your models.. so you could heal them with Primal Flame...

OK.. the DM shoots even better...

Maybe i´ll test the DM... but i Think ill miss that littel Raptor!

Out of interest can a insig model destroy evidence, and is the enslaved insig. On phone at work so just pondering atm. As for kaeris, well, I'll post up fully later, she worked really well though but IMO wouldn't work on her own.

Isn't neutral 1, deployments zones are 2 and the other two 1 for both? Kaeris did indeed kill Nino, sorry, I was writing it all from memory so messed up a couple times. And I did indeed use the healing flip on Marcus, for a mighty one.

I don't think I played particularly well, but I defo have a few ideas.

Out of interest can a insig model destroy evidence, and is the enslaved insig. On phone at work so just pondering atm. As for kaeris, well, I'll post up fully later, she worked really well though but IMO wouldn't work on her own.

Isn't neutral 1, deployments zones are 2 and the other two 1 for both? Kaeris did indeed kill Nino, sorry, I was writing it all from memory so messed up a couple times. And I did indeed use the healing flip on Marcus, for a mighty one.

I don't think I played particularly well, but I defo have a few ideas.

nope they cannot now you mention it and they can't claim objectives and totems are always insig.

so acctually, you won with 8-6 ;)

you played very well acctually :)

I took Marcus to a recent tourny, been playing him over a year now. I really like all the attention he has been getting lately.

The tourny was 30 ss

I took every round:

Marcus

Lawyer

Shikhome

Waldgeist x2

This list allows you to brick up the waldgeist and lawyer into a really hard to kill detachment. Marcus and Shikhome can then fly to either flank as needed or dictated by terrain.

I'm really excited about Kaeris and Gunsmith, makes him a hard counter to pandora honestly. I would recommend you try the lawyer if you can fit him.

I tried the Silent one to extend the range of multiple models, but didn't find the benefit for what you pay for her. I think Kaeris is the only valid target for North wind honestly, and I'm not too excited about that prospect either.

I might try desperate mercs while waiting for my 6 raptors to come out in August. Being able to out activate an opposing crew for once might be fun. And give negative on flips too more than one or two models.

Hey Ash, well, it was my first ever game vs Dreamer, and was vs Doxey, so was sort of a given result but I took the wrong crew and made mistakes.

The second game was vs Steve/ScurryBoy? (Maybe), and he's a good colette player, again, I took the wrong crew but learnt a bit. I'm still having massive issues with Colette and how to actually beat her.

To be fair, they are always going to be tough games, especialy against dreamer for your beasts with low to average WP if he is using Alps or Lilitu esp if they are also using Insidious Madness....

Marcus gives his beasts +3 wp and -3 to all around... Wp duels are a strong suit.

Marcus gives his beasts +3 wp and -3 to all around... Wp duels are a strong suit.

Agreed, but that is an ability he has to pop up, so only in play once he has activated. If Dreamer gets initiative, then you wont have that up straight away.

Also, to get the benefit of this, you will have to activate Marcus early in your turn and keep all your beasts close together. Both those favour the Dreamer's preferred approach as he can affect more models at once due to your close proximity and gives you strongest model little to no oppotunity to attack his crew due to your early activation.

That's my observation anyway.