Nightmare bases (casting custom bases)

JMGraham

My next crew is going to be a Dreamer crew, and I wanted to do something neat with the bases. As such, I decided on a nightmare theme. I was mainly inspired by the beast that I sculpted for the Walpurgis Night tournament, and the bases I had done for a previous Daemon army. I wanted to avoid spikes, as they can break off easily, and stuck with an easy-to-sculpt more 2-d design of eyeballs and mouths. I sculpted up the following bases in greenstuff and magic sculp (the black stuff). I didn't have any plans on using any 40mm bases, but reckoned Wyrd might come out with something in the future, and didn't want to limit myself.

nightmare1.JPG

I have some RTV silicone left from a previous project, but wanted results fast, so I used a product called Amazing Mold Putty ( http://amazingmoldputty.com/ ). You can buy this for $20 at Michaels, or Hobby Lobby in the states. Given that you can easily get a 40 to 50% off coupon for Michaels, it'll cost you no more than 10 or 12 dollars for a fair amount of mold material. To call this stuff amazing really sells it short. It's an easy to use 2 part putty that you knead together in a 1:1 ratio, and press it on whatever you want to mold. It fully cures in about 25 minutes, doesn't stick to anything, and is completely food-safe. I could use this stuff to make "nightmare chocolates" or "nightmare soap" if I wanted to. Heck, now that I've thought of it, I probably will! I've cast resin and plaster in molds like these before with no problems. Not my go-to-mold for lots of detailed castings, but for simple things like this, it's perfect.

nightmare2.JPG

Next, I cast up a slew of 30 and 50mm bases using a 2-part resin from TAP plastics. It has a very low viscocity, and tends to be pretty forgiving when it comes to bubbles - the stuff is ALMOST water-thin. The final casts have some bubbles, particularly around the teeth. For my purposes, it doesn't matter - they just make the teeth look more jagged and rotten. However, if I really wanted to do things right, I might use some talcum powder on the molds before casting or (better yet) use a vacuum chamber (which I don't have). The final bases look like this:

nightmare3.JPG

All things considered, I was pleased as punch with how they turned out. It was a quick project, as well. I sculpted them in one evening, and made the molds and cast them over the course of one day, doing plenty of chores, quality-time-with kids, and errands in between. A really easy project, and I encourage anyone wanting to give casting a try to start with something simple like this!

I'd love to do a Hamelin crew one day, and am already plotting what kind of vermin-infested bases I could do for him.

Not a bad idea to do a mold box - you might end up using a bit more putty, but you could really ensure a tight fit around the model without lots of excess manipulation.

@AvatarForm : Thanks, but I think I'd need access to a vacuum chamber before I started selling these!

I flattened the tops of mine with a flat sheet of plastic to ensure they'd sit level when casting, but yours is the more elegant solution, I think. I ended up having to make one of the 30mm molds twice because the molding putty wasn't perfectly tight around the edge of the base. Do you just use flat-topped legos to line the bottom of your mold box?

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...