Malifaux character tokens

Vondur

I think it would be awesome of Wyrd released packs of tokens to represent models. Just little 30, 40, and 50mm tokens something akin to a poker chip with a character's image printed on the top. I got that idea from the illustrations in the new Rules Manual. (See the manual for some nice examples of what I'm describing)

The tokens could be used exactly the same way miniatures are used in the game.

Yeah, I know you could just do this yourself with proxies, but I think it would be a great marketing idea if Wyrd decided to sell some official tokens. There are a ton of gamers out there who might appreciate the mechanics of this game, but are turned off by the whole hobby aspect of having to prime/paint/protect/transport miniatures. This could be a way for Wyrd to get more people interested in the game. Some players might eventually get into the miniature aspect, and for those who don't...Wyrd is tapping into more of the market by selling tokens/books/fate decks. I could imagine miniature collectors would also be interested in buying inexpensive packs to use as proxies before deciding which miniatures to buy.

So what does everyone else think?

• Agree 1

I personally think this is a bad idea. Sure, it would be easier to get into without the miniatures, but it then would be more like a board game instead of a miniatures game. The assembling and painting is as much of the hobby as the playing, and should be preserved as such.

Well I'm definitely not recommending getting rid of the miniatures. Do you think it's possible to have both?

I know painting etc. is part of the hobby but a lot of gamers out there won't get into miniature games for that very reason.

Gotta agree with most everyone on tokens being a bad idea. It's not just a game it's a hobby. I feel bad enough when I put down/play against unfinished models but tokens, I would be severely disappointed. I enjoy seeing what others do with their models, even if it's not top-quality.

I wouldn't want to play an oppenent who has just tokens. I love facing off 2 painted crews it makes this game more exciting. It would be another thing to release pre-painted models but even then I wouldn't want to get into a game with pre-painted models either.

My favorite part is the game, second painting last modeling. The best part of this game to me is that modeling is available but not necessary since these models are amazing.

I definitely agree. I don't mind the occasional 30mm base to represent a Mindless Zombie or Rat if the opponent doesn't have enough. Or possibly using a 40mm base under a Terror Tot to represent a Young Nephilim if my opponent is just getting started. But why get into a miniature game if you didn't want to deal with models.

I am with the others on this one. Wouldn't want to go to a tourney where some people had pretty painted models and others had poker chips with faces on it.

There are plenty of games out there where people don't need to paint or put together minis to play. I wouldn't want Malifaux to be one of them.

I very much doubt it would happen, the minatures are where the money is; I doubt they make much money on the rulebooks.

Personally I'd have no problem playing the game with tokens, or with figures vs tokens. IMHO It would be a much fairer game since money (and time) wouldn't be an issue, everyone would be on the same level. I can afford whatever figs I want, but I can imagine the frustration of someone who can't. The same applies to CCGs - I love the games, but the method of marketing makes them unfair.

I personally enjoy the hobby aspect and from an aesthetic point of view its much nicer to have painted figures and nice terrain, but from an intellectual perspective its hard to argue that they make the *game* better. They only make the *experience* of playing better.

A computer version of Malifaux would be awesome - the best of both worlds in most respects - nice graphics would replace painted figs, but you'd have access to every figure and multiple terrain setups for a fixed and, relatively speaking, low price. But its not going to happen since its just not profitable. Games Workshop have made RTS games based off their IP, but they've never made a turn based computerised WHFB/WH40K game - i.e. an accurate recreation of the figure game. The reason should be fairly clear.

On a side not I would like to see tokens (or small minis with the correct bases) to represent normal in game tokens. Like scrap counters, dynamite, a wagon and so on. They could be sold independently and in a nice collection box containing a reasonable amount of each for a nice box-discount price over the individual bits.

waferthinninja: what about the Blood Bowl? I did not play the computer game, but I belive it's turn-based & uses the rules of the board game (with some bugs, of course :)) - but I can certainly be mistaken.

I must say, that I thought of recreating WHFB as a computer game (for the sake of playing my friends who are not in the same country as me), but we all agreed, that playing the game over the internet would kind of kill the spirit.

Ad Tokens: I think that if somebody wants to play with tokens, he can invest that little time to creating ones based on the artworks, etc. (for private use, of course) - We tried out some printed stickers & wooden cylinders of appropriate diameter to proxy unreleased models. But it's no fun to play with those.

If a company doesn't make money, or remain profitable, then quite bluntly, there are no games. Everything could indeed be put out with little cardboard cut outs, the same could be said for any game ... or heck, scraps of paper cut into circles with hand written names, but you wouldn't have a supported game very long I suspect.

waferthinninja: what about the Blood Bowl? I did not play the computer game, but I belive it's turn-based & uses the rules of the board game (with some bugs, of course :)) - but I can certainly be mistaken.

Yes that's why I specified WHFB/WH40K :) .

BloodBowl made the cut and became a computer game for the same reason they stopped supporting the figure game version; a game where you buy a box set then one team (or even just a team if your friend has a pitch) just isn't profitable compared to a money pit like WH40K. If someone bought the BB computer game and not the figure game, GW got roughly the same amount of cash.

Wow, very surprising response but I suppose I'm coming into Malifaux from a different perspective. I'm personally a lot more interested in playing the game it self than I am in painting miniatures. I'm not a hobby painter or anything. That being said, yes I do own the real miniatures, and yes they are painted.

Hopefully this doesn't come across sounding snotty or anything, but I think a lot of you guys are spoiled in being able to pick and choose who you would or wouldn't play with. Where I live there are seemingly very few Malifaux players and I'd take whatever opponent I could get, miniatures or not. =/

Gotta agree with most everyone on tokens being a bad idea. It's not just a game it's a hobby. I feel bad enough when I put down/play against unfinished models but tokens, I would be severely disappointed. I enjoy seeing what others do with their models, even if it's not top-quality.

There must be something weird about the gaming community around here. I see tons of people playing Warmachine/Hordes and many of them use unpainted armies.

My personal advice, as I'm not heavy into the painting, would be to find a friend who is and get him to paint your stuff for you. That way you get to focus on the gaming aspect while your friend gets free minis to keep painting :)

If that can't be found, you can always commission a painter to do them for you.

Personally, I don't like painting. But I make up for it somewhat within our group of friends by making nearly all of our gaming terrain. So they have to deal with my pewter armies, but at least we have some pretty terrain to play with :)

My personal advice, as I'm not heavy into the painting, would be to find a friend who is and get him to paint your stuff for you. That way you get to focus on the gaming aspect while your friend gets free minis to keep painting :)

If that can't be found, you can always commission a painter to do them for you.

Personally, I don't like painting. But I make up for it somewhat within our group of friends by making nearly all of our gaming terrain. So they have to deal with my pewter armies, but at least we have some pretty terrain to play with :)

Well, I don't have a problem with painting, I'll do it but it's not the feature that attracts me to Malifaux. I've had at least two people tell me that they're not interested in the game due to all the extra time and effort that goes into miniatures.

As for my gaming group. I love gaming, but I'm not a part of the whole "gamer" subculture. I don't know people who are interested in gaming so my opponents are unfortunately limited to anyone I can round up at a local gaming shop. =/

Well, I don't have a problem with painting, I'll do it but it's not the feature that attracts me to Malifaux. I've had at least two people tell me that they're not interested in the game due to all the extra time and effort that goes into miniatures.

As for my gaming group. I love gaming, but I'm not a part of the whole "gamer" subculture. I don't know people who are interested in gaming so my opponents are unfortunately limited to anyone I can round up at a local gaming shop. =/

Luckily, people you can round up at a LGS typically are into the hobby aspects of the game :)

And if you have some friends that you really want to play, you could always offer to at least assemble their models for them if the time is too much for them. Then don't bother with painting them if you're not playing in anything official.

Or, heck, make your own character tokens to use :) Sure Wyrd may not like it since you won't be buying much, but they can't really stop you outside of official events. And you'd still be spending money on the printed materials like rulebooks and character stat cards. Plus if you decide to use the actual bases for your tokens (that's how I'd probably do it) you'd be supporting them through buying those as well. Though you certainly wouldn't have to go that route.

There must be something weird about the gaming community around here. I see tons of people playing Warmachine/Hordes and many of them use unpainted armies.

I play with unpainted models for casual play all the time. But my rule is I won't use it in a tournament unless its painted.

Personally I am not a good painter, I do my best but it ain't great. And a lot of times I don't have the motivation to paint. But in the end I would rather see people play with unpainted models then with tokens. It just seems like a completely different game then.

or heck, scraps of paper cut into circles with hand written names, but you wouldn't have a supported game very long I suspect.

Note to self, invent Post'd-notes wars

Step 1) Create game

Step 2) ????

Step 3) Profit!

Edited by nilus

I actually like the idea. I got into Malifaux for the models and would not like to play tokens vs models. That being said I have two groups of friends the miniature gamers that also like board games and the boardgamers that dont like miniature games.

I think it would encourage more people into playing and potentially then sell them on the models rather than losing custom of the miniature gamers. I am half tempted to try making some of my own, you would just need a printer and spare bases with a coat of varnish to seal them nicely.

I completely get the idea: i want to make a set of tokens to represent one of my crews just so I have a "crew" rounda mates house to always play with even if im crashing over ad hoc. However, while I get the idea, I wouldnt want to see wyrd go down this route.....

The models and imagery are part of what makes this such a/ the best wargame of all time....i would only use my home made ones as a substitute, never an alternative....

Wow, very surprising response but I suppose I'm coming into Malifaux from a different perspective. I'm personally a lot more interested in playing the game it self than I am in painting miniatures. I'm not a hobby painter or anything. That being said, yes I do own the real miniatures, and yes they are painted.

Hopefully this doesn't come across sounding snotty or anything, but I think a lot of you guys are spoiled in being able to pick and choose who you would or wouldn't play with. Where I live there are seemingly very few Malifaux players and I'd take whatever opponent I could get, miniatures or not. =/

Well, It's certainly not at all about /me being spoiled - I'll gladly play against tokens, and/or give out the tokens to new player (if I had some) so (s)he can try stuff out (I also sponsor new players by lending them my crews and/or giving them stuff gained for co-organizing tourneys and demo games with my local henchmen). I'm just saying, that _for me_ it's about the miniatures. Heck, the game is one of the excuses to have such an awefull lot of them :)

So I would not refuse to play against tokens on a 'friendly' basis, but I'd go against it on turneys - this probably is snotty, but I belive, that one should repay the company (and especially this great one like Wyrd) at leas a tiny bit :)

There's no real reason for Wyrd to produce tokens - you can easily get empty bases from a number of places, and they do the job quickly and easily.

However... I'm one of the least hobby-side players you'll find, and that crosses a line even for me. Even if you're all about the game, you have to appreciate that game companies make their money by selling models. If you like the game enough to play it, they deserve the monetary support of you buying those models. A quick proxy or playtest is one thing, but going out of your way to avoid paying them for the game you're playing is just rude.