Puppet Competition.

Ratty

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure if this counts as a new drawing for the week, since I just redrew my own avatar, but.. well, I redrew my own avatar:

Verapuppet2.jpg

I wanted to get the handkerchief thing right. It was bothering me.

*insert sound of yaw dropping to the floor and eyeballs rolling away with a splochy sound*

Hmhmm.. How do you (Ratty/Tuesday) actually do this?

I just sketch something with my regular pencil on the squared paper that I have and take a photograph of it.. ¬¬

Do you draw the entire thing on the computer or do you scan it in? How do you go about colouring and such? Especially the shadows and fine detail..

I never learned to use Photoshop/Gimp :/

Wow, thanks everyone!

Wodschow-- I generally start with a pencil or pen drawing, take a photo of it, and then go into the painting software that came with my tablet (Corel Painter something) and basically trace over it on one layer, white out the original drawing on a lower one, and then color it in on a layer between the two (so I can be lazy and not worry so much about going over the lines XD). The original looked something like this. The only things that were really drawn 'freehand' were the flowers and V on the handkerchief part.

For shadowing and highlighting, it's kind of like painting a mini-- pick a base color, then go a few shades lower and a few higher. There are different types of 'brushes' to use, like a wash and various opacities you can put on to make the shadows and highlights blend better, and magnifying the image to 300x or something helps with the detail.

I think Ratty mentioned earlier that he did his entirely in Photoshop, which is just amazing to me. I have yet to get that much control over a digital pen, so my method's really not that impressive. ^^;

Spent the last couple of hours messing around with photoshop. It's been about 15 years since I last drew a picture from scratch on photoshop, normally I'm piecing together bits of photos for GUI stuff. So I'm a bit out of practice. Hope you like it.

ratpuppet.jpg

wow ratty you really are awesome! do your talents have limits?

So, I drew this at work with a very very very dull pencil, and then took a pic of it with my phone....as if I couln't do anything else to make my already mediocre drawing skills any worse, lol! If you can guess what it is, and what the broken leg signifies I'll give you an e-cookie.

[ATTACH]1154[/ATTACH]

post-5501-13911921208961_thumb.jpg

Edited by Necromorph

I thought this would be the place to show this off...

I have a friend who's a comic artist and I've requested him to do a new avatar for me (hence I don't need to enter the competition) but he's sent me a scan of the inks of the images and he's currently colouring it for me.

He's also mentioned he's up for commissions for puppet avatars which I'll be posting details on my websites when he has finished the colour one.

This is a Black and White version of me as a Puppet!

puppet-shaper-ink-Scan.jpg

So, I drew this at work with a very very very dull pencil, and then took a pic of it with my phone....as if I couln't do anything else to make my already mediocre drawing skills any worse, lol! If you can guess what it is, and what the broken leg signifies I'll give you an e-cookie.

[ATTACH]1154[/ATTACH]

Steampunk abomination

[ATTACH]1154[/ATTACH]

Necromorph suffering from strategic dismemberment?

[ATTACH]1154[/ATTACH]

A Large Steampunk Arachnid who had an itch and forgot to turn off the blade...