Pitch your Fifth Master ideas.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pan/satyrs have you seen a mature Nephilim?

The demonic being with the huge bat wings? Just having hooves does not a satyr make.

I'd be thinking more terrain and board control affinity. Pan in mythology induces terror ("Panic" is derived from his name) but also sorrow, lust, loneliness, and artistry, so project emotions (with possibly a different mix than Pandora), maybe a forest aura, synergy with elementals (and adds "Elemental" to waldgeists and juju like Teddy gains Nightmare with the Dreamer). Satyrs have a music/inebriation theme and would be the heavier hitters of the theme. Dryads do shiny things with forests, Nymphs get Lure and other enemy control synergy.

Just the basic thoughts.

Ravencroft would be sweet, and I'm definitely throwing in for the Department of Ungentlemanly Affairs. That story was just fun. Mame'selle would make for an interesting character, but I almost think she'd be a better model for Outcast...she's a middlewoman, not Resurrectionist specific.

Yep. Which is about as far as I'm going to explain, I don't want to ruin the awesome for you. Same with Ravencroft and Thorpe. So many good characters in there...and I do apologize to anyone who doesn't have the book cause now I'm probably adding to your impatience.

Edit: Damn you Jonas and your ninja abilities...

True she is a go-to woman, but her particular field of expertise is what I was getting at ;)

Agreed on that, but I still think she might be a better choice for an Outcast model. But hey, if she shows up in Resurrectionist as a model Seamus would want to take that isn't a Belle, I'd be content.

And the fact that he's wearing a Greek toga and satyr are little more than drunken thugs

Pan and satyrs appear as far more than that in the tales of King Midas and Psyche, just to pick two off the top of my head. Nymphs and dryads feature prominently in any number of roles (Calypso, Echo, Syrinx, Io, the list goes on). There's more mythological backing here for a master than with Pandora (who I love, don't get me wrong). And even if satyrs were "drunken thugs," they do not collect the blood of humans or have huge freaking bat wings, and are not connected to JudeoChristian apocrypha. Nephilim are modeled after the classical "demon from Hell" image, not satyrs, and have neither the image nor the flavor.

A thing that came to my mind when thinkin about a new master:

What if there are other humans in Malifaux, people that are living there for a long time and adapted to the world. They could be armed with odd weaponry and there appearence could differ from normal humans, like strange eyes or ears, stuff like that.

Outcasts would suit them best.

Or they could be a completely new faction.

But thats just me thinking :)

A thing that came to my mind when thinkin about a new master:

What if there are other humans in Malifaux, people that are living there for a long time and adapted to the world. They could be armed with odd weaponry and there appearence could differ from normal humans, like strange eyes or ears, stuff like that.

I always figured the Cult of December and Zoraida fell in that category.

all that and i cant believe no mentions of Vikings. i think they could be sort of an off branch to the cult of december that, doesnt worship but, pays respect to the wendigo. plus i would love to see a berserker master who could possibly swing at his own crew but hits like a truck. plus a model that brings a party keg thats a "stationary",the one to bring it can move it, aura buff/object would be cool(similar to bringin 2 models for 1 like the showgirls). plus the crew could be the reason that the neverborn have a serious "get off my lawn" syndrom as they party too loud and pillage thier stuffs.

Indian Shaman suggestions are all really good. Gotta love cowboys and Indians.

Contrary to what seems to be popular, I like the idea of werewolves vs. vampires, mostly cause Nephelim are already very vampire-like. I would trust wyrd to give werewolves a good enough twist to make them original.

To expand on Orboros idea (took some liberties, hope you don't mind).... Enter mini-fluff story

When the breach closed the first time many humans were trapped in Malifaux. Neverborn cleansed their homeland in good fashion, however some humans escaped into the wastelands of malifaux where even other Neverborn fear to tread. Human adaptability allowed the refugees to survive, but in order to do so they had to feed upon the native plants and creatures of the land on the other side of the breach. Over generations, their human bodies changed into far more bestial and savage versions of their former selves. Refugees who were once annexed from their home world and rejected by their new world have become warriors, commanding vast tribes in the wastelands around Malifaux, which they now consider their land. Humans populate malifaux again, and neverborn are more active than ever. The Wolves of the Waste will no longer hide or be ignored, and when their packs raid nothing will be ready.

So what do you think of that bit of 5 minute fluff? I have several more ideas for fluff and mechanics but I decided to keep things short and sweet for now.

The core fluff of the Malifaux revolves around what I would consider the most dangerous, crime ridden, city of the time. With all of this poverty, murder and thievery it is more than likely than not that some sort of crime syndicate would arise. At the very top of this syndicate would be the God Father/ Mob Boss / Family Leader that would call the shots and take what is owed to him. Think of it as a Wild West version of the God Father. In terms of game play he would feed off of other crews resources. Some possible examples could include forcing the other player to play a card for him from their hand, turn over soul stones or pilfer the dead for weapons. You could bride low SS cost guild models or bury models that have a "Hit declared on them". Intimidation would also have to play a role. Im thinking WP checks, forced movement or even forcing to change a strategy or reveal a scheme without granting the extra VPs once its revealed. You don’t have to stretch your imagination for the crew as well. They would be outcasts by their very nature but could "hire" low SS guild models for a price and for giggles possibly the Drowned. For the models think of Fat Bosses and Family Officers all blinged out with brass knuckles or pistols , big thugs with clubs, scrawny thieves with knives, and hit men with shotguns.

Weird Circus crew (Outcast) would be good - westwind did a lovely range that include Bearded ladies, Killer clows, Strong man etc. that serves as good inspiration.

Asylum crew (Ressers) a mad psychoteraphist who uses the inmates to his own weird purposes.

Ghost crew (Neverborn) somehow a twist to Kirai without being just the polar opposite. Ghosts, Poltergeists, Spectres, Wraiths etc.

Guild Intelligence crew (Guild) interrogator, blackmailer, assassin, etc.