Non "Wargamming Hobbies"

My turn...

I love to read: scifi and fantasy books, almost. But sometimes I read things from other genres...

Watching cartoons (and anime) is one of my favourite ways to spent time...

This at the hobby side of life. I have a dog, also, and spent a lot of time with him. He likes to play with me a dog-style "you catch me" play (sorry if you don't understand this, I'm not sure about how to say in english, but you probably know the game: one runs, the other try to catch him :P ). And a girlfriend. And friends. So a lot of things to do and little time...

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have always loved cooking actually, as well as reading. I haven't been reading as much as I used too but eh life is crazy right now. Actually the other day I cooked some pretty awesome lamb if my friends weren't lying to me!

But in the quiet of the night my inner rock star comes out and I play bass guitar till I pass out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Seems like there are a lot of Larpers here, I'm also one of them (Play at CP for those of you in the UK). When I aren't playing them I run the Reading Uni larp (www.shatteredreality.co.uk) and am in the process of writing my own Steampunk related one, which will hopefully be having a one day test soon (info on request :D).

P&P Roleplaying also occurs of course, again with me mostly stuck in the Running Rather than Playing slot!

I also Write, although not professionally (not yet anyhow). This also involves a lot of Reading of other people's stuff.

Computer games count as a hobby for this I guess :D

Scuba would be one of my pastimes if I had the money and time but I don't so I only really count as a dabbler in that :D

Edited by Mawdrigen

My main hobby (even more so than Malifaux, but Mx is quickly achieving parity with it) is Rollespiel (uh, Roleplaying). I've played a lot over the last few years, some favorite games being:

-Burning Wheel

-Apocalypse World (current fave! So hot!)

-Dogs in the Vineyard

-Breaking the Ice

When I'm not getting kicked out of rpg games for verbally manhandling the other idiot participants, seriously if you're looking for the dregs of society-look no further than role players, I study mythology and wait till the stars are right...or whenever my artist pal will finish our graphic novel promo material, whichever comes first. I'm also waiting on Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.

I've played Bass Guitar for a few years. I wouldn't classify myself as anything more than enthusiastic amateur because I only really learn songs that I like and actually want to play.

I also really enjoy Stunt Kites. I picked up a cheap one last year in a sale and I love just going down to the beach and flying it at sunset. Great for just forgetting the problems of life.

I am one of those people who can start new hobbies far too easily and have too many interests and have had to cull a few recently.

I play Saxophone and Acoustic Guitar (particular interest in people like Andy Mckee and Antoine Dufour)

I love reading Fiction (Sci, Fantasy, Classics etc. though I have less time these days)

I have recently restarted rock climbing (so happy that my gf was interested doing this together)

I also like to read theology, church history, philosophy

These are not so much hobbies as just things I enjoy when I have time :

Ultimate frisbee

Photography

cooking

Wow, looking at that no wonder I struggle with time, I need to be more organised. ;)

I plan on studying philosophy and history and am preparing that, which means reading and getting a place at a university ^^. I also started to teach myself to draw, but its a long way to go.

For me, listening to music is an own hobby aswell, because i really just listen to it a lot, without doing other things in the background. Genres that interest me the most: Postrock, Hiphop, dubstep and electronica, Black Metal( im guitarplayer in a BM band, so that would be another hobby ), although i give every genre/artist a listen :)

I also visit a lot of concerts and festivals.

And Im planing on doing some sports on a regular schedule.

I do the kid thing as well , but as my sons get older it looks like we are looking into air soft , my brother and I used to be semi pro paintballers so now that we have sons we are looking into running the air soft fields . We already own several guns so its just a matter of getting out there .

Me and my brother also do a fair amount of target shooting as well in our country home , we make our own ammo so that cuts the cost by a lot .

I used to have lots of hobbies:

Sailing

Chado

Writing short stories

Reading fiction

Movies

TV

Hiking

Camping

Swimming

Surfing

Soccer/Football

Now, I'm married...

Love that! But seriously try and do something together and something apart.

I game, I used to sail before I had a serious back injury sailing and play hockey. My wife enjoys photography.

If you don't play WoW, you don't know what a hobby is.

I also enjoy getting myself banned from the WoW forums (I'm on my final notice) with the use of non-offensive, non-trolling, only mildly belittling comments, such as "In order to assist you in your self righteous crusade against fun, here are some other names you should report. Have fun!" or "if you find the internet offensive to your delicate sensibilities, perhaps you should avoid using the internet."

Another hobby I enjoy is starting to learn to program, and then doing something else, like play WoW. I've got a basic understanding of Python, Lua, C+, a little knowledge of Java, and now I'm going to give Android a go. I'm not sure if Android is its own language, or a bastardized version of something else, or just off the shelf Java, but I'm going to find out.

Love that! But seriously try and do something together and something apart.

I game, I used to sail before I had a serious back injury sailing and play hockey. My wife enjoys photography.

I was mostly joking. :)

I still read, thought mostly rereading old books I really liked.

We go hiking together on occasion, but our daughter has been really busy with school recently, so not as much free time for that (the drive to the nearest decent hike takes longer than the hike itself... :(

We all Wii together. I seriously suck at dancing, but it makes them laugh.

Is anyone here interested in chilli growing or cooking really vulcano-hot dishes? :D

Yeah I actually do all the cooking in our household (but the wife does all the baking so cakes and desserts and feed me yummy things) and am also starting a herb garden, theres nothing better than cooking with fresh herbs and spices.

We have a lot of neighbours form the subcontinent so a fair few grow their own chillis