Rogue Necromancy

saerko

I've been playing a Rogue Necromancy as the "first summon" in my McMourning crew with great success. I'm not certain I'd buy it with SS in my starting crew but it's a huge bonus to McMourning. I usually combine it with a grave spirit to make it a bit more durable, as those big models tend to draw a lot of fire. At larger SS games, the combination of a hired Killjoy and a summoned Rogue Necromancy is absolutely brutal.

I hate it with all my cold, black heart, because JMGraham always summons it against me!

That said, it is pretty dang good. I say don't pay the points for it up front; summon it (in fact, that's what I'd say about any high-priced undead). From playing against it, there are two great ways it can help your crew if it's summoned in turns 1-2:

1) as a beatstick. It's big, it's burly, two headed is awesome. Have it kill stuff.

2) As a distraction. If you can summon another baddy (killjoy, flesh construct, etc) before it gets killed, you can get your opponents crew out of position. It's such a massive distraction, they will want to kill it right away, and will often dedicate too many resources to the task, and then a flesh construct popping up where they should be... well, it sucks.

I love it for the same reasons mentioned above. It's a huge distraction because if your opponent doesn't deal with it, it will deal with them! The thing is pure MURDER if it starts it's activation in melee range of a poor soul.

Never pay SS for it though. Always summon. You'll save atleast 50% of it's cost that way.

Course those I play absolutely hate the thing. More so because by the time they finally bring it down, I've gathered up enough body part counters to summon another and start the process all over again. A trick I use when it's really low on HP is use McMournings scalpel throw on it to push him into btb contact with it and when it dies due to damage, pick up all those juicy counters and re-summon!

I don't like it.

And my brother, who plays exclusively Nicodem and McMourning, is iffy towards it.

Deploying it? Points better spent in Killjoy.

Summoning it? Counters better spent in Punk Zombies.

I can see utilizing punk zombies in a Nicodem list but for McMourning this thing is amazing.

If you don't mind me asking what is your brother running for McMourning? (this is mostly me just wondering because maybe he's got a list that beats what I'm using)

Doesn't this entirely depend on how the game works out. If you have a low number of Corpse counter dropping, you will probably want to summon Punk Zombies. If you get bad card draws you will probably have more counters than you can summon so you would be better off summoning big things with the cards you have?

I usually give it a grave spirit (and a nurse if I really need the job done right) and point it a direction that I want to draw a whole load of fire to but don't actually feel like committing to. It can hold its own against a wide range of opponents and really scares players into overcommitting. (It's a textbook "Axe" unit, but that's another lecture.)

Also, it breaths acid. A three-minimum ranged shot really helps to soften up an enemy force and allows your weaker units (dogs) to pick apart the survivors.

• 2 months later...

I was thinking about getting one but wondered about one of its rules.

"Superior Undead". It seems like its intended to make it stronger, but what I am wondering is, does that mean that it cannot get "Bolstered" by Nicodem?

Is the aura of bolster considered to be "specifically targeting undead"?

I love it with Kirai and 1 summoned Shikome.

(Alpha strike: overactivate the enemy, summon 1 shikome to B2B with an enemy model who is already engaged with my other spirit, swirling that spirit to the Rogue, cast "hunting partner" to the Rogue, and make 3+5 strike with +flip.)

But I have a question in connection with the RN. Trigger rot <fang, claws> can be activated with 2 crows, but he hasn't got a crow for his claws.

Is it a printing mistake or do you have any suggestions?

But I have a question in connection with the RN. Trigger rot <fang, claws> can be activated with 2 crows, but he hasn't got a crow for his claws.

Is it a printing mistake or do you have any suggestions?

We will see it on the card when the model comes out.

Atm it could be only for the fangs because it fits the "different weapon" theme. . Fangs do more damage (poison, rot) while the claws hit much better (paired and cb+2).

I love it and summon him regularly, the range from acid is a beautiful thing and once its out its very easy for McMourning to get back into play (only needing an additional 2 body parts more than its drops via corpses). He has a good Cb and some additional little effects and abilities that really add value for McMourning. Its one of the reasons I converted up my own.

See, the thing about it is it's great, situationally. When you're Nicodem, you know that the entire first half of the game you're scrounging for corpses, and when you're getting them piecemeal like that it's better to go for punks and crooked men, that sort of thing.

However, when things start to go sour and you're surrounded by corpses and you've only got one high crow, that's when you pull out the rogue necro. He's a real danger, and you can trust that your opponent will be spending the next turn or so focusing exclusively on him, or else being eaten alive by him. I'd never start with him, but as a summon, he gives Nic a much needed "heavy".

If you summon the rogue necromancy, then does that count as one of your two allotted Special Forces: horror slots?

From the Rules Manual (underline mine):

"Special Forces (Group Name): Up to two models with the Special Forces Characteristic may be hired per Master. A Crew cannot contain models from more than one Special Forces group. Some models lift the two model hiring limit when included in a Crew, but the limit of one Special Forces group remains (see Hire Crews, p.72)."

From this I believe that you could summon it during the game even if you already had two Horrors on the table already (although the only other Horror currently is Molly which lifts the limit on the amount you can have anyway..).

You however not summon it if you had models from another special force on the table (such as the Freikorps).. A bit counter-intuitive perhaps and not what I'd expected when I looked up the rules to quote them here, but that's how they're written (or at least how I understand what's been written) :P

Also, why aren't you in the chat? ;o

I have been playing Rogue Necromancy recently and am really liking it. It is a magnet and I did go my first three games with it without making a single melee attack before it died. However, this meant that I was engaged with the enemy and the rest of my army went to town. I paid SS for it. I play both a Rogue Necromancy and a flesh construct with McMourning. I find playing his to be quite enjoyable and effective. But maybe that just meJ