Terrain Guides.

Jonas Albrecht

After searching high and low for terrain, its pretty clear that once you get into the more Malifaux-specific settings that you really need to build your own stuff if you truly want to capture the themes and tone that your minis have.

Unfortunately, I have little to no experience in building terrain sets or individual structures, like houses. So now I need to find the most novice friendly building guides available on the net. Specifically guides for building old west boomtowns, but really, anything you think might be helpful for someone looking to break into the terrain building scene would be great.

You might want to check out RPG Now and get the White Wash City pdfs. Printing them as a guide gives a good starting place for old west terrain.

I've used them as floorpans in the past, not a huge fan of paper terrain though so I cut the shapes out of foam core and use crafts sticks/balsa to detail the exterior.

I really need to take my camera into the LGS and photo all of the great new terrain our local guys have been building. Honestly, 90% of it is done with foam board, pink foam core, popsicle sticks, and whatever other random things we can find. Hirst Arts molds also work quite well. The cool thing is, look in the right places, and you can pretty easily find stuff for building terrain dirt cheap, or even free. So it can be pretty cheap, even if you try things, and then have to take it apart to do it all over again.

Model railroaders produce some great terrain books that aren't that expensive. I would recommend working in "O" scale as it is the easiest to scratch build (a 1/4" = 1' in game). I'll second what Jmp_mydog recommended, White Wash City does give a good start. Instead of Foamcore, though I recommend Matte board. Another site I use for inspiration is Better Then Scratch, they provide scale dimensions for everything they sell and some great pictures as well. And of course if you have the money, they produce some great kits.

Honestly, I say just do it. Find some stuff, whether its foamcore, poster board, empty cereal boxes, and get some tape or glue or old bubble gum (probably not bubble gum) and cut out some shapes and stick them together. Look at a house, see how its shaped, and try to recreate it. Try different sizes until you make something you like.

Trial and error is the best recipe, imo. Before you know it you'll be making crazy awesome stuff. And you'll find yourself thinking "I could use that to make a [something]" and "hrm, how could I turn that into terrain?"

I've actually had a great deal of success with the Latest GW "How to build terrain" book

if you can find it on the cheap (it usually MSRP's for $29.99) it's totally worth having!

in addition

i've gone to the local library and pulled up old articles on beginer railroad terrain and have had a great deal of success with the tips thery offer; they's simple and efficient

because Malifaux has a WIDE draw from MANY diffrent generas, like Lobo said, you almost can't go wrong with whatever you try

further, my primary reccomendation, which seems to be the MAIN repeated point from all resources...

build to be STURDY not just pretty

you'll be happier in the long run

there's few things worse than putting hours and $$$ into a project only to find it didin't last through the week at the Game Store while you were gone

I've actually had a great deal of success with the Latest GW "How to build terrain" book

if you can find it on the cheap (it usually MSRP's for $29.99) it's totally worth having!

The GW Lustria book also had a great section on jungle terrain, especially the bamboo grove. Because its from the last addition you should be able to get it cheap.

For Malifaux demos, I'm using the "easy" option: papercraft. We have a huge collection of houses, including two different sets for a Wild West town, two different sets for a "victorian" city... Sure is not as good as make it by yourself, but works.

Also, I'm planning into make, at least, four thematics tables, so I need a huge amount of terrain...