bases from scratch

tallghost

What does everyone use for sculpting bases?

O.K. so far I've done my Nicodem crew on the Wyrd graveyard bases (really great sculpts) and my Ortegas on some pretty nice plank textured bases from Mystic Hobby resins. Before this, all of my mini basing has been done by gluing sand to the base and painting it. I want to try to do more for my Lady J group (wasteland themed) and my Gremlins (byou themed, natch.)

The whole point of this is really, what kind of paste/putty/whatever do you use when you're sculpting your base? Milliput? Green Stuff? something else?

I noticed Vallijo textue paste mentioned in the Malifaux Chronicles, but never actually seen the stuff.

I don't usually use a putty to do bases. I will use everything from bark to rock type tile.I will search hobby stores for anything that might appear useful. One of the best sources is model railroading shops. Companies like Woodland Scenics have a lot of stuff. I normally do not "sculpt"a base.I will apply bits to it to make one.Balsa wood or popsicle sticks for wood floors,stuff like that. My Perdita set are on decorative bark that is going to be made to look like the cliffs of the Grand Canyon. There are all kinds of things out there that you can use on bases.

I really enjoy making scenic bases. I use a plaster-like product called Durham's Rock Hard Water Putty. For ice or stone slabs I'll cast a slab of the stuff and break off pieces or carve it down to the shape I want. For my gremlin bases I've poured the putty on to the bases while it was a pudding-like consistency, then smoothed it with a wet fingertip. That gives me a nice, muddy, texture. This is a new technique for me and so far it's working well. I'm also experimenting to find a cheap and easy way to add long grasses and cattails. My first effort in that direction was to bore small holes into the putty and glue bristles from an old toothbrush into the holes. It looks good so far, but I want to work out a couple more leaf options. I also want to work out a suitably scummy looking and cheap effect for swamp water.

I've been using cork, balsa, plasticard, cast bases, Squadron Green putty, Skullcrafts Steampunk basing kit, and most recently, two sizes of Woodsies craft circles from Michael's. One's almost 30MM insert size, the other almost 40. I center the smaller one, and it looks fine. The larger ones need a few trips around the Dremel, or heavy sanding to take off about 1MM.I have Sculpey and greenstuff, but no time to use them properly.

P9240001.JPG

I used Guardsman wood stain touch up markers (About $5 for light, medium and dark in a 3-pack at WalMart), then Vallejo gloss, or just use a matte spray coat.

Edited by stephengroy

I take a more basic approach to my basing, I use Lightweight Spackling (Cheep and you can get it at a hardware store, the brand name on the one I’m using in these photos is Patch -n- paint). I use a knife on the bases and get a good desert sand feel, I get a tad bit of sand to accent it but really the sand is going to look like large rocks at this scale. I do all this before i prime so i can paint it latter.

I used the cork board as well for larger rocks, here are some picks of my perdita stands.

prepainted.jpg

The green catus is green stuff and the skulls i got form a friend who plays undead Warhammer sruff, same with the arrow.

p3.jpg

p1base.jpg

base3.jpg

base2.jpg

And just for fun here is one of my minis with a lego gear,

S.jpg

group.jpg

Edited by TimeLapse

TimeLapse, your bases look excellent! I love the half-buried skulls. :)

As for basing my stuff... I tend to just do some type of flock (depending on the model... I did grass for my belles) and then at least 1 bit of extra detail that can be pretty much anything (again based on the model, gravestones made out of foamcore for my belles).

For my Gremlins, I've been using wooden coffee stirsticks (flat) and skewers (for shish kabobs) for boardwalks/fence posts/signs. Use a wire brush on them to get the wood texture to stand out. Green stuff to make stuff stand up.

I have also been using some Acrylic Gel Medium to make water effects. It's supposed to be used mixed with acrylic paint to give it more texture, but it dries clear. I'm using Soft Gloss; soft means it dries flatter (i.e. doesn't hold a shape well) and the gloss gives it the water effect.

I'll chime in here on the Green Stuff side of things, although I actually use Gray Stuff more often. Overall, there isn't much difference when you're making a base.

Another base that I'm fond of is cork board bases (just tear off a section that is around the right size and you'll have a nice slab of rock for your mini to stand on).

Also, I tend to use a mix of train store gravel and cornmeal for the actual flocking.

I use procreate terrain putty. It's a two part resin putty that dries rock hard. The great part is that it's really soft for a while which allows for all sorts of modeling fun.

Step 1) mix the putty

Step 2) apply putty to base

Step 3) push any base bits and model into the putty

Step 4) give atleast 24 hours to dry and you're done!

http://www.thewarstore.com/product42203.html

A lot of great ideas and suggestions so far, thanks!

For my gremlins, I'm defintly looking for something that I can sculpt with and add to, because I'm thinking of really soggy ground that would have little "potholes" of water in it and planks and logs thrown down to help travel.

Edit: and those Ortega pics are awesome! I love the idea of using lego gears as scrap markers.

What does everyone use for sculpting bases?

O.K. so far I've done my Nicodem crew on the Wyrd graveyard bases (really great sculpts) and my Ortegas on some pretty nice plank textured bases from Mystic Hobby resins. Before this, all of my mini basing has been done by gluing sand to the base and painting it. I want to try to do more for my Lady J group (wasteland themed) and my Gremlins (byou themed, natch.)

The whole point of this is really, what kind of paste/putty/whatever do you use when you're sculpting your base? Milliput? Green Stuff? something else?

I noticed Vallijo textue paste mentioned in the Malifaux Chronicles, but never actually seen the stuff.

I'll chime in here on the Green Stuff side of things, although I actually use Gray Stuff more often. Overall, there isn't much difference when you're making a base.

Another base that I'm fond of is cork board bases (just tear off a section that is around the right size and you'll have a nice slab of rock for your mini to stand on).

Also, I tend to use a mix of train store gravel and cornmeal for the actual flocking.

I actually make ALL my own bases for Malifaux ( I also based 8k of Games Workshop demons...). Depending on the texture I want, I usually start with corkboard (the 1" or .8" thick is my favorite) and go from there.

For ruined, rocky bases slap the corkboard on, and the add whatever sort of rubble you want to the top. Paint similar colors and you're golden.

My Neverborn crew got Green Stuff bases, modeled into hilly terrain, with flock and tufts over top of that, while my Rasputina crew got corkboard, with Green Stuff "snow" over top, and some crystals made from plastic sprue.

My demons are just straight attached to the top of corkboard, with snazzy paint jobs.

Straight Green Stuff:

DSC00311.jpg

With stuff on top of it:

DSC00306.jpg

My snow bases:

DSC00322.jpg

And just plain cork:

DSC00223.jpg

It took me about 3.5 hours to make over 150 bases using just the plain corkboard, and I love the texture it gives, and it's very easy to work with.

d

Personally, for a game like Malifaux where minis have a set height and none of the TLOS rubbish like WFB and 40k, you can go all out and build up your bases with cork tile or slate/pine bark for nice display-like bases.

I will be doing a diary on WAU soon as my minis arrive for my Pandora crew.

Using slate primarily for a shattered earth effect.

• 5 months later...