Do you use Wyrd's custom base inserts?

Shrapnelsmile

I have used a number of the sets for different crews. I really like the way they look especially the streets and the bayou. My major recommendation would be to make sure you pin the models to the base so they wont break off. You need to cut the tabs off the bottom of the minis to put them on the bases, so they are less supported then when you use the slotted bases.

I wanted to use them but they took to long to arrive from the website I bought them from so I lost patience and built the models and based them etc

Having seen them in real life tho I concur with the above posters, they look fantastic and when I have the time I will probably buy them replace my current bases.

They look great but, whether they're worth it or not comes down to your skill level as a modeler and how much time vs. money you have to spend on stuff other than your actual crews. All my bases are custom.

Ortegas-Coblestone strrets made from tiny bricks from a hobby shop

Non Ortega Guild-sand

Ressurs largely undecided though I do have some gravestone bits from reaper.

Kirai-still in box but, I plan to try cutting up a sushi rolling mat.

Ramos-round peices cut from a cheap peice of terrain for a tank game inside 1/2" lock rings (4/$.50 in the home depot electronics section) that look like gears and perfectly fill a 30mm base.

Rasputina-White foamboard with snow flock

Neverborn-Green flock and treestumps from a model train store (note to self pick up more soon.)

For Marcus and his crew I used real rocks and painted them. I dolled up everyones base to look nice, with moss and brown sand for dirt.

It was a pain in the rear.

This being my first miniature game, I'm not experienced in this field at all. So when it comes to models, I take my time painting them. But basing, I rush. I like to get my models out there and start playing. So to answer your question, I use the inserts almost always. Levi's crew is composed of victorian bases, grave bases, and even some sewer bases. For me they are much nicer and more clean. Plus they have good weight to them so your models wont constantly get knocked over.

However, I do recommend base inserts in general. As Madman said, Wyrd just doesn't seem to have enough variety. So I don't stick with Wyrd exclusively. You just have to experiment and find out whats good for the model you're building.

I would use them if they were resin. I get enough frustration when a metal model chips. If my bases started chipping I'd go insane*.

I mostly use bases from DragonForge or Back 2 Baseix.

* not really.

Jeff (Deagon Forge) makes some QUALITY products AND has a nice variety... too bad he's on vacation untill the end of the month...:rain:

With Pandora I used some GW Gravel, tried to paint it to look weird and magicky. Came out like crap (She's taking a PineSol bath this weekend). My Rasputina crew is on the Wyrd Graveyard Bases and I can't even tell you how awesome they look. I really like them and they seem to be cast really well (at least the batch I have). Collette is next and I don't think I will put her on Wyrd bases since they don't have anything I think fits the look I'm going for (not that I've heard anyway). But don't let that sound like I haven't been thoroughly impressed with the Wyrd bases. They've made such a lovely change to my models.

However, I do recommend if you get the Victorian bases, the Victorian accessory pack is an amazing addition to the bases.

Edited by Daisylvzim

I'm horrible at basing models....

So yeah I use the inserts for every one of my malifaux models. I also really like the heft at they help add to the models. Especially the height 1 stuff. Helps to keep them from being tippy.

So far I've used graveyard for my Ortega and Sonnia, and Lillith Crew. Victorian for Pandora and the second set of Nephlim. Sewers for Leveticus, Bayou for Zordia and the Gremlins.

I love the victorian for ease of painting. I can get those ready in just a couple of minutes. The bayou bases come out looking great but their is so much detail its like painting another model.

I love them, I can make good customs on my own but the graveyard ones are awsome and super versatile. You can easily convert them for variety too. The only bad thing is that they are so good it's like you have to paint a whole other mini

I agree with all of this and I'll say that the only problem I have with the Graveyard bases is that they tend to be obscured by the model you're basing - so you don't get to see all of the effort you've put in painting them!

I'd definately buy more of them and the accessories too.

Personally, I rather like them because I'm more of a painter than a modeler, so my bases tend to be very basic if I custom make them. But these bases suit the models and hey! It's just painting, which I can totally get into.

Sometimes it does take some finagling to get a particular model onto a particular base (for example, I put Rasputina on a graveyard base, and the way her feet were positioned, it was a bit of a pain to find a place to attach her), but once in place, they look pretty snazzy.

I agree with all of this and I'll say that the only problem I have with the Graveyard bases is that they tend to be obscured by the model you're basing - so you don't get to see all of the effort you've put in painting them!

I'd definately buy more of them and the accessories too.

I felt the same way with my graveyard bases. For my Nicodem crew I used the large coffin for Mortimer, he has his right leg on the top part so I can show off more of the coffin. For Nicodem, I used the small coffin insert and added a broken section of wrought iron fence behind him.

Also, I blend the insert into the base with a bit of Apoxie Sculpt. Makes it look a little neater.

I do like all of the inserts and plan to use more of them in the future.