Poor Ronin

Alondir

Anyone else feel for em, they used to be the best 5ss you could spend, now there main skill is 2 action points, isn't there use well blunted. They could be very fast, now there lagging behind with the rest of the slow stuff and your Vic's go unsupported :(,

Have anyone had a chance to play test these changes and how much did it hurt??

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ronin are still definitely amazing

what the change did is stop the dashing in and out of combat with no risk to themselves sillyness. before you could dash in, get 3 strikes and dash out with no one to stop you and never putting yourself at risk. no at least you have to take some hits like everyone else if you want to get into combat. it was a much needed change. they're still hard to kill, annihilate spirits, ignore armor, and have a plus flip.

It's official. It's just not in fancy PDF form is all. ;)

Gotcha - the official-but-not-yet-fancy errata. :)

Honestly the change seems a reasonable one. I'm working on a Viktoria crew, and got my first game in with her the other day. To say they were potent would be a gross understatement. I imagine with one run through and the pushes from the trigger that they'll still be plenty mobile.

Jim

I literally just played my first games last night. The first game I took three Ronin, the second game only one, as they just didn't do much.

Granted, I was playing against Pandora, so their low Wp made them a bit of a liability, so they may have been traded out for Taelor and extra stones regardless, but in the first game they just seemed SLOW.

I mean W4 is really pedestrian. Indeed, they never got into combat on their own terms. It was nice being able to get OUT of combat, sure, but I just feel like run-through lost its purpose, as for two action points I'd rather just charge and get teh damage bonus, as I can use the trigger to disengage anyway!

I'm a total newb, so haven't seen non-errata'd Ronin tear it up, but as they are now, the Run-through ability is very situational, and I found Taelor much more useful in game two than I found two extra Ronin in game one.

Meh, I'm probably a bad player, but the Ronin were the key component in keeping my Vik's at a competitive level (although they were too cheap out of faction).

Thankfully with the SPA's about to come out I can now put the Vik's to one side for good.

[EDIT] I should quantify this a bit more, probably. Although I don't use Run Through *that* often (sometimes preferring to Walk and retain Harmless, for example), it is the threat of it that can be used to help contain my opponents threats. It allows me to keep Seamus at bay a little (as he can't guarantee being able to destroy the tiny thing that just knocked off a couple of health, that he'll get back if she dies), it helps to make a Pandora player double check before taking a risk on an Incite/Pacify run, it helps control Lilith, and Zoraida's Voodoo doll shenanigans, it means that, with Hamelin, there's a response to a Lure (getting them back before they die).

In short, I'm sure there's plenty of people very happy with the change, but it doesn't half screw over Vik players (especially when the real solution is not to make Outcasts so cheaply available to other Factions, who can use them to plug gaps that are inherent to their Faction while they're the core of an Outcast force).

Anyway, enough griping, I have other Factions, so the Vik's can just stay in the case now.

Edited by Amarel

I'll still use them, but I am all sad that I cannot use one as a charge shield for my Ortegas any more, and then obey her out the way to shoot her attacker to meaty chunks.

A sensible change, though. Their potential movement was too much for 5ss.