Bayou Ruins Terrain Log

Kaine

this is really awesome. i'm thinking about picking up some hirst arts stuff myself. seems like you've been working pretty quickly on this, how long does it take to cast everything? or do you just have several molds?

also, how did you do the trees/where did you get them?

I have 3-4 different moulds i've used in this build so i cast a batch at a time, but it does take alot of time, i've probably got 1/4 of the 25kg bag of plaster left.

The most basic of the boards is probably around 10 casts of a mould, takes a minute or so to cast, then 10-15mins to dry depending on room temp.

The trees are stock GW their just stuck down and then covered in texture.

I like what you have done thus far, however I am not sure "Bayou Ruins" is really a good description for this. More like the descriptions of the quartine zone then Bayou. Perhaps after painting, flocking, and weathering. Once again it looks good just less and less like Bayou.

I like what you have done thus far, however I am not sure "Bayou Ruins" is really a good description for this. More like the descriptions of the quartine zone then Bayou. Perhaps after painting, flocking, and weathering. Once again it looks good just less and less like Bayou.

true when i think bayou i think 100% swampy stuff, either way its definitely killer

15 minutes is not nearly as bad as i thought. i figured it would take hours to dry at least. i think i'm going to have to pick some up.

what kind of texture for the trees?

also is the ladder in the pipe room part of one of the molds too?

The original intention was for a single ruin's tile in the centre of bayou tiles but its sorta grown beyond that.

A better way to describe it now is "ruined pumping station" it will still be on the edge of the bayou as my next board will lead into that (forming a 6x3 board).

The material on the base of the trees section (and the docks) is polyfilla, i believe a generic name in the us is "spackle" ? Its a used to fill cracks in walls but comes in a paste that textures well.

The only other material used was plastic card for the rectangle grills everything else is hirst art blocks, including the ladder (from the new sci fi kits).

• 2 months later...

amazingly good. Out of interest how much did this all cost? I'm looking at building an Industrial / Sewer zone in a similar way (300x300mm cells). Thinking of using insulation as a base over double corrugated card (cross corrugated stuff from my TV box, easily as sturdy as MDF)

• 6 months later...