Killjoy - Any opinions?

Melnibonean

Cruel .. sacrificing the kid for the fat guy ... I mean .. that's just MEAN.

*you* led us down this path...

I just don't like the idea of Killjoy, only because I have never been a supporter of taking something that can "go wrong", especially when it can go really wrong...

I would never have drafted Pacman Jones.

Killjoy is great, but you need to plan for Blood Price. If he isn't in melee at the end of Turn 2, he gets a free Charge move towards the nearest model before activations begin on Turn 3, so being able to manipulate this is key. Models like Taelor, who can knock opponents back, can be used to set them up for Killjoy, while Ronin and the Viks are fast enough to keep away from him. Alternatively, you might want to be the closest model so you can make him move in the right direction, but then you need to make sure you're out of his Cg + melee range :)

I took him the other night with McMourning and crew. I was able to keep him off of my stuff for the most part but I think for the 14 points I paid for him I would have been better off filling his niche' with Bete Noir and had 5ss to spare. He is a beast, he is fun, he is just damn expensive. You mileage my vary, but for me I just can't see edging him into any list other than a merc one.

• 1 month later...

I have spent some time just finding a way to pay for his massive cost, though he is by far the meanest model out he is effectively half of your list in your average twenty five point game, the idea that in a McMourning crew for example i can take seven dogs or hire him, or even four dogs and a Sebastian, just makes him a bit lack luster.

I have spent some time just finding a way to pay for his massive cost, though he is by far the meanest model out he is effectively half of your list in your average twenty five point game, the idea that in a McMourning crew for example i can take seven dogs or hire him, or even four dogs and a Sebastian, just makes him a bit lack luster.

Put him in a Nicodem list, add Bolster, and you have a model more than worth his high point cost. However, in an Outcast crew, I would probably sooner go for two Ronin.

I've used him with Nicodem, as others have pointed out using Slow to Die models is good. I will also bring two Vultures so they can fly out 10" and then pop Killjoy out against something that has already activated. Just remember what I learned the hard way, ALWAYS keep two cards in your hand. Head Shot or Slit Jugular on a 13/14 point model really stinks! Again, I learned that the hard way.

• 2 weeks later...
I took him the other night with McMourning and crew. I was able to keep him off of my stuff for the most part but I think for the 14 points I paid for him I would have been better off filling his niche' with Bete Noir and had 5ss to spare. He is a beast, he is fun, he is just damn expensive. You mileage my vary, but for me I just can't see edging him into any list other than a merc one.

He works really well in a Nicodem list. The key to Killjoy is to not waste the other points on the sacrificed model. Slow to Die models that can summon him on your opponents turn when they would be dead anyway are very much needed to get your investments worth back. Plus when he dies he drops three more corpse counters, so Nico can just raise some more baddies in his wake.