Has Malifaux 'killed' your other games?

Chucklemonkey

Shortly before Malifaux came out I was getting a little disillusioned with Warmachine and was looking for something else to bide the time until MKII sorted itself out. First I picked up Infinity and really enjoyed it... then Malifaux came out and it really took over EVERYTHING for me for a while. Then 'Human Sphere' came out for Infinity and right now I'd say that my most played games are 50/50 split between Malifaux and Infinity. I'm finding it hard to drum up any enthusiasm for Warmachine MKII now. <_<

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't take up all my miniatures gaming, but it takes up a fair chunk, the rest supported by Firestorm Armada. I used to be a Warmachine/Hordes player, but I had been dropping off in interest from it for a little while, and then the plethora of changes that came up between the "final" version of MK2 (which I liked) and the rules in the book (which I was less fond of) convinced me it was as good a time as any to drop off that line.

I picked up Arcane Legions for a little while, and really enjoyed it until I became fed up with the company that ran it and their lack of connection to the player base.

Finally, I came to Firestorm Armada because of the d6 Generation podcast. I always liked space combat but never found a system I liked. FSA did it for me. Just as I was starting with that, my main group picked up Malifaux. I didn't like it when I had played at GenCon, but they convinced me to give it another whirl. Actually playing a full game was pretty fun, and the variation on the cards wasn't so much a big deal to me anymore with the cheating aspect.

So in short, those two games take up all my time now.

I might need to start killing off some games. With spring coming up and adding the upkeep of the yard to the list of things that need to be done with the house, and gaming and work. I am booked through May. Its fairly sad when you have to schedule time three weeks in advance for a 40k/warmachine/Malifaux.

I think the thing that turned me off Warmachine was the fluff seemed to be cliche'ed while Warhammer stole its fair share of ideas but took them somewhere quite mental.

It kept getting almost cool - like the whole Cryx / Everblight deal - and never paid off with detail or imagination.

Match that with Page 5 and I saw a game where all the people I haven't enjoyed playing with would go.

---

Also, Malifaux takes a fresh set of un-used cliches (Horror, Western, etc.) and takes it somewhere quite mental, like Warhammer, but for new genres.

I completely agree with this. I stopped playing about 4 years ago for different reasons. When last year i was looking for something to get back into I ventured into Warmachine, but found the fluff dull and the gamers seemed too competitive.

Malifaux is just what I was looking for but now I seem to get back into some old favorites too.

It just gave a new perspective to the hobby.

Games go in cycles with us. We've been doing nothing but Malifaux since it came out, however. At least as far as minis games go. We've split up tat time with a fair amount of board games too. Recently, the Malifaux overload has driven slightly more than half of our group into a 40K league, but we still expect 2 nights a week for Malifaux.

With the exception of a hardcore GW group and a group of historical guys most of the gamers in my local area are fairly open to new games provided it's within their budget.

My area has been spoiling for a good skirmish game for a long time now but until Malifaux there hasn't been a one game to rule them all. Bloodbowl came close but leadership in running the league is lacking and so it falls apart quickly.

With Malifaux it's nice because the games go quickly, people are interested, the entry price point is stupid cheap, and somehow it just seems like the everyman's game right now. However it hasn't yet overshadowed any other games. Because it plays quickly there is all ways time to get in a league game for a different game. Last Sunday I manged to play a huge Warmachine MKII game, my 3rd ever game of Malifaux, paint some models and I still had time for anouther game or two of Malifaux all in a six hour period.

So I don't predict any sales decline of any other games right now where I am. If anything it's boosted business at the shop where I work at. People have plenty of spare change to throw down on a card deck and a basic crew box with maybe a few other models added in. Several folks have even gone off the deep end though and bought three crew boxes plus extra models before even playing their first game.

Edited by Harliquine

So I don't predict any sales decline of any other games right now where I am. If anything it's boosted business at the shop where I work at. People have plenty of spare change to throw down on a card deck and a basic crew box with maybe a few other models added in. Several folks have even gone off the deep end though and bought three crew boxes plus extra models before even playing their first game.

This is an interesting phenomenon.

As much as different minis games may be in competition with each other, they do seem to be able to spark interest in each other as well.

In my LGS, most prefer tcgs and think that miniatures are too expensive (WH proved that right). Only a few of us played WH. Around a dozen or two are playing / have a WM/H army

Well, Malifaux kinda changed the scene. a lot of people (there are even those who probably never even played miniature games before) eagerly jumped into the game since the starting army is so cheap.

They are still playing WM/H and a tcg or two, but Malifaux's impact couldn't be taken lightly. People are playing it and throughly enjoying it. I'm pretty sure Malifaux won't kill anything, but it's sure as heck will be one of the top 3 game played everyday :D

I'll echo a lot of the sentiments already expressed. I was a Warmachine/Hordes player exclusively (after the death of Mage Knight and Heroclix), but after a number of years, numerous changes and the ever-increasing competitiveness/ass-hattery of the typical Warmachine player I was getting burned out. The announcement of MKII was a good excuse for me to start looking around.

My first exploration into something new was Uncharted Seas and a naval based game was an entirely different direction than I had gone previously. It did well for a while and it was about all I played for a few months. Then with delayed releases, the game gradually lost interest around here. I was already looking at Infinity, so I picked that up and continue to play that as well, but opponents aren't always easy to come by.

Someone on our local site started promoting Malifaux, so I became interested in the game and bought in on release. It had a good following for a while with the MKII rules still in flux, then the Beta Test dropped and many players disappeared to focus on WM Mark II and then Hordes Mark II. Even the guys originally promoting Malifaux went back to Warmachine. Out of desperation I picked up Prime Mark II and have started going through out. I may add WM back to my rotation but I have gotten rid of many armies and will try to keep it on a smaller scale.

In conjunction with my LGS we're trying to get interest in Malifaux up again. In a sense I've given up on pulling Warmachine players over, I just haven't had much success. However, we have had some luck attracting Warhammer/40K players and even a couple of Magic players.

In conjunction with my LGS we're trying to get interest in Malifaux up again. In a sense I've given up on pulling Warmachine players over, I just haven't had much success. However, we have had some luck attracting Warhammer/40K players and even a couple of Magic players.

You just have to stay consistent in running events and playing games. I'm a big Warmachine/Hordes player but after one or two games of that I'm ready to sit down due to all the stretching across tables to push pewter. Malifaux has been great because I can play something else and Malifaux so far hasn't burned me out playing it. But the key to getting any game started in a store is consistency. You have to be there ready to play regularly.

I know of at least one other person in my area that has been dying to get into 40k, but it costs to much. When I told him he could get started with Malifaux for around $35 (for a single starter pack) he's gotten really interested. I think that is one of Malifaux's biggest selling points, cost of entry.

You just have to stay consistent in running events and playing games. I'm a big Warmachine/Hordes player but after one or two games of that I'm ready to sit down due to all the stretching across tables to push pewter. Malifaux has been great because I can play something else and Malifaux so far hasn't burned me out playing it. But the key to getting any game started in a store is consistency. You have to be there ready to play regularly.

Completely agree with you. When WM/H first hit my LGS, it was all the rage. But after our T.O. / official got too busy with work and other personal issues, the game died down as quickly as it rose to fame. The same thing happened with monpoc.

Both LGS owner / organizer and players needs to be active. With the store promoting the game, starting tourneys, giving disc during store events / tourneys, while the gamers participate in events / playing fun skirmish games of their own. Only then a game can be popular.

Currently my LGS is running a Malifaux "league" this month, if all goes well, I think it can really cripple other miniature games played here.

Malifaux has only added to my list of games. HeroClix is alive again, and Warmachine remains my main game. They each offer something different, and it all depends on the length of time I want to commit. Malifaux attracted me due to the cheap entry cost (not gambling much to try it out), and the game play makes me want to try it out some more. Not reinventing the wheel with the core rules was a brilliant move, and it's really easy to slide right in from the Warmachine rules.

I'm curious, Thoughttrauma, about your feelings towards Warmachine. Do you really feel that power creep still exists in MK II? Everything was reset to roughly the same baseline, and we haven't had an expansion since. There are a few things I feel are too good for their costs, (and the Avatar and Covenant are two of them!) but that's true of Malifaux, too.

I'm curious, Thoughttrauma, about your feelings towards Warmachine. Do you really feel that power creep still exists in MK II? Everything was reset to roughly the same baseline, and we haven't had an expansion since. There are a few things I feel are too good for their costs, (and the Avatar and Covenant are two of them!) but that's true of Malifaux, too.

I'm guessing the new Satyxis Blood Hag?

I've never found a game that killed my interests. I love gaming too much and constantly want to play more and more. I play too many games perhaps, but I don't care, I think theirs so much love to go around in the hobby. It bugs me when people have an over protective attitude to a specific game or not willing to try other things.

Do I like some games more than others? Sure, and there's games I totally have hated, but I will always try something new. We started up Malifaux recently.... but also building up a Battle Fleet Gothic group, buying into Firestorm Armada, and also just got in a shipment of stuff for Secrets of the Third Reich.

Oh and am definitely buying into Dust Tactics and Leviathans when they are released after Gencon this year!