Favorite Game Size

EricJ

Does anyone commonly play games that aren't in multiples of 5's? I could see the rare game where both you and your opponent are just short of fitting some model into your list and decide to go for it but normally people favor standard sizes with round numbers.

And that's when you add the leftovers to your starting Soulstone Pool...

And that's when you add the leftovers to your starting Soulstone Pool...

You certainly could. I'm just pointing out that in all the reports I've seen so far people have played 25, 30, 35. I've never yet heard of a game which wasn't a multiple of 5 so I was curious.

Personally I'd probably go with 35. Big enough to let you beef up your starting Crew, but not TOO large.

I actually voted for 35ss, I think it's a point in a scrap that really provides a good balance of choice, speed of play, and crew flexibility. I actually think that playing at 25 is almost a completely different game in a lot of ways, where you really have to maintain a focus in your goals, which is fun, but shows a bit less overall strategy.

I agree though, it seems odd to do a game size not a multiple of 5, although it's in the rules, I don't see it happening often.

• 3 months later...

I usually add up what my opponent wants to play with and round up to 5.

Increments of 5 is a good way to know how many Soulstones is reasonable without overthinking it.

My third game was 50SS and started to become cumbersome, mind you, if we played it again now we'd be a lot faster.

The real clincher for me is 35SS is where you can (theoretically) have enough models left at the end to achieve Reconnoiter.

We're actually re-drawing Reccy at 25SS because its too hard to do while actually getting stuck in and having fun.

One thing we've done to reduce brain strain is laminate printouts of Strategies to the Malifaux Artwork Postcards and stick Schemes to old Magic: The Gathering cards with their backs spraypainted identically.

That made the game a lot faster and allowed Schemes to be brought in earlier with new players.

Does anyone commonly play games that aren't in multiples of 5's? I could see the rare game where both you and your opponent are just short of fitting some model into your list and decide to go for it but normally people favor standard sizes with round numbers.

http://wyrd-games.net/forum/showpost.php?p=109523&postcount=10

Not common, but every once in a while.