Best Rulebook Layout Ever? Quite possibly

jbeckett

So I've been slowly making my way through the Malifaux rulebook and I have to say, this is quite possibly the best rulebook layout I've ever read.

Most miniature game rule books that I've read (and I'll admit it's not all of them) have a standard format of fluff-rules-stats. This makes for some amazingly dry rules reading.

Placing the background to Malifaux through out the book, and of different lengths, just makes the whole book shine. But the big eye catch for me was the use of the two page art for the story "Into the Breach" p26-30. I was already enjoying the heck out of the story pages that floated around, but using the art in such a way... good stuff, Maynard.

Mad props to Nathan, Eric Johns, and Casey Jones (and everyone else involved) for bringing together a book that is beautiful to look at, a joy to read and worth more than the cover price for certain.

Thank you.

Note: For a reference point, the book "Surviving on the Edge The Player's Guide to On the Edge" by Atlas Games for their long dead CCG On The Edge is the only competition in my mind for a similiar quality book. And they had the advantage of an entire roleplaying world to back them up.

The book is even more impressive when you look at the turn around time.

I agree with you, though. This is honestly the sexiest rulebook I've seen for a miniatures game, especially for the first book from a company. We actually used the book itself, rather than just the rules, as a selling point in the booth. Everybody's got dice. Malifaux has a gorgeous rulebook and these sweet fate decks with full color art all over them.

Throwing the story throughout the book was a great design. You learn a section of the rules, and then there's some more fluff to draw you in further.

If anyone hasn't read the fluff in the Wyrd Chronicles e-zines, go and read them. You'll learn a bit more about some of the characters that are showing up in the fluff, like Molly.

As an editor and fledgling rules writer myself, I delve into a lot of rulebooks to see how they did what, and this one has me taking my hat off in awe and appreciation.

A good, solid Glossary at the back is huge. My main complaint, and its minor at most since I now know exactly where it is in the book, is that some of the pages have headers for easy location-finding, but Abilities and Triggers on page 72 could have used the little type at the top of the page (like Combat and Magic sections have) for ease of location with flipping through the book.

Other than that, i cant WAIT to get a game in with a friend!

the book is great, tough I would have prefered more descriptive fluff in order to know more about the world of malifaux ,instead of the grandiose story, buy that might be just me

It was a tough call to balance story with fluff and make sure everything squeezed in. Fluff'll definitely be expanding as time goes on and I'm sure some of it will make it onto the website so you're not left guessing.

Hopefully there's enough good nuggets to keep you interested and wanting more though. ;)

I agree, lovely book and different to what I'm used to (although that seems to be true of Wyrd in general). My one gripe is lack of specific fluff, I realise there's a space/cost issue but a bit more depth about some of the characters would be nice.

For example, it mentions Viktoria befriends a neverborn that takes her guise to become "The Viktorias". How'd she manage that? I thought neverborn hated all humans ("I came here with a dream, a dream of killing all humans.........") I haven't had the chance to read the "big" fluff yet though so if it's in there, forgive my impudence.

Really good read otherwise though, rules are logically and easily laid out unlike *some* books (I'm looking at you Infinity), interspersed with great fluff and some cool illustrations. In fact I don't know why I'm here talking about it when I could be reading the damn thing! On that note..............

For example, it mentions Viktoria befriends a neverborn that takes her guise to become "The Viktorias". How'd she manage that? I thought neverborn hated all humans ("I came here with a dream, a dream of killing all humans.........") I haven't had the chance to read the "big" fluff yet though so if it's in there, forgive my impudence.

It is explained in the same story that it is mentioned in. Lets just say it has something to do with a fancy blade she likes to carry around.

Really good read otherwise though, rules are logically and easily laid out unlike *some* books (I'm looking at you Infinity)

Thats funny. At my FLGS, I am the Infinity "Champion", the one the store goes to for demos to prospective new players. I have to agree, even being the Infinity fanboi that I am, that their layout is really hard to use :)

If I have to give a gripe, it's that I would've preferred the abilities on page 72 and the states and model actions on pages 45-6 reprinted in the back along with the other often-referenced material.

Seconded.

I'm sure someone will be whipping up another quick reference sheet soon enough.

Working on it :)

For example, it mentions Viktoria befriends a neverborn that takes her guise to become "The Viktorias". How'd she manage that?

The situation involving the Viktorias is briefly described in the main story.

I thought neverborn hated all humans {snip}

I also hope that some of the motivation for the Neverborn is revealed through the story, that they might have deeper goals than just killing humans. It isn't stated explicitly, but the origin and reopening of the breach is tied into this.

It was also one of the goals of the story to visit different locations in and around the City. That's why a number of the characters are traveling throughout the story and that there is some lengthy description about the City, Ridley Station, Hollow Marsh, the swamp, Kythera, and the wilds. I really hope some of that description will inspire some fantastic modeling projects, terrain, and tables.

Oh! And I agree! Awesome Layout! Well done, Eric!

• 7 months later...

This is indeed a beautiful rulebook, but in terms of beauty, it ranks a solid third, in my opinion.

#1, by a vast margin over any rulebook I have EVER seen is the Anima: Tactics Saga 1 & 2 book. It just plain blows everything else out of the water. Quick, simple rules, fluff on every character and generic model's page, followed by the game mechanics of how the given models' abilities function in-game. Every rulebook designer could learn something from this book. Oh, and the art is beyond top-notch.

#2 is any HORDES / WARMACHINE book after Prime Mk.1. Take your pick, they all look very, very nice and are very well organized. Mk. 2 takes it to a new level.

#3 is our beloved MalifauX. The only place this book loses out th the other two is in the art and layout department. This, however, is just personal taste, so you could sort of consider #2 & 3 interchangeable based on your own preferences.

...But that's just my opinion, and I could be wrong.

Edited by Etna's Vassal
Changed my mind.

Lookit, threadomancy.

Oh well, might as well throw in my 1€.

While Malifaux is undoubtedly very well presented book, with the ongoing story throught the pages and snippets of fluff in the rules, I think the number 1 place still goes to Infinity's rulebook(and now HS supplement), for sheer visual shock of full-gloss, full-colour throught the entire book, plenty of full-spread art(something I personally believe Malifaux could use-the Kythera art in the very end of mali rulebook was stunning!) and over 100pages of solid background. It is a bit different style-wise to "anglosaxon" way of writing rules, but I like how it presents the fluff and rules for skill/equipment at the same time.

But as I said, Mali is solid second, overcoming for example FoW rulebook, which is also well laid-out, but is such a dry read it's tedious.

So I've been slowly making my way through the Malifaux rulebook and I have to say, this is quite possibly the best rulebook layout I've ever read.

Most miniature game rule books that I've read (and I'll admit it's not all of them) have a standard format of fluff-rules-stats. This makes for some amazingly dry rules reading.

Placing the background to Malifaux through out the book, and of different lengths, just makes the whole book shine. But the big eye catch for me was the use of the two page art for the story "Into the Breach" p26-30. I was already enjoying the heck out of the story pages that floated around, but using the art in such a way... good stuff, Maynard.

Mad props to Nathan, Eric Johns, and Casey Jones (and everyone else involved) for bringing together a book that is beautiful to look at, a joy to read and worth more than the cover price for certain.

Thank you.

Note: For a reference point, the book "Surviving on the Edge The Player's Guide to On the Edge" by Atlas Games for their long dead CCG On The Edge is the only competition in my mind for a similiar quality book. And they had the advantage of an entire roleplaying world to back them up.

I agree for the most part. It makes for a nice, solid first read, and that's really the important thing. A little extra flipping after you've read the rules and need to look something up, but that's probably worth it.

I also love the two page art of Kythera. And, I know this is weird, but I love the words, "Til Gran Kythera Dow" that are quoted on that page and in the story. Very good evil sounding words.