What is a Totem, you ask?

EricJ

Ok, one element of Malifaux we have not yet previewed, or discussed very much is that of the totem. A totem is defined by a special characteristic, which sets them apart from other minions. It essentially states that every totem must be connected to a master, and a master may not have more than one totem connected (except by special rule as you'll see). They usually take a role of an extention of the masters power, and all have the "magical extension" spell, and all are rather cheap, at 1-3 soul stones.

Now, because we don't have any totems ready for sale, there are no stat cards, so these characteristics are straight out of the game book (to explain the different formatting)

Take a look, this is an example of Nicodems Totem, the Vulture:

Vulture-Preview-Watermark.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, all masters have a totem that only they can take. These totems are thematically linked to the master, such as Vulture for Nicodem, Voodoo Doll for Zoraida, Giant Mosquito for Som'er Teeth, etc...

All factions also have a "generic" totem as well, that any master in that faction can take.

There are also 2 mercenary totems, who anyone can take, although it still costs that little bit extra to do so.

one clarification needed, especially as nicodem can take 2 totems (and totems seem to be optional.)

Nicodem's vulture totem is not the vulture he is carrying around right ? a totem would be seperately based ? or am I wrong in this ?

Edited by Illustrange
because when I posted it, there was no other replys ;)

one clarification needed, especially as nicodem can take 2 totems (and totems seem to be optional.)

Nicodem's vulture totem is not the vulture he is carrying around right ? a totem would be seperately based ? or am I wrong in this ?

Nope, they are two separate Vultures that fly around for him. They are separate units on there own base.

separately based, yes. Although, the vulture in the grave base accessories and the one Nicodem comes with are an easy way to get yourself some vultures right now. ;)

Ramos does not get a brass owl as a totem, unfortunately.

The Guild totems are definitely going to make for cool sculpts.

Edit: wow, we all jumped on that one pretty quickly.

The same deal with Zoraida, too. The extra Voodoo Dolls are supposed to be decorations for the master. I went ahead and individually based one of mine though. They're so tiny, it was a fast job. When they come out with the individual doll, I'll get one then, too.

The 'skeeter is nice. It has some pretty surprising tricks up its sleeve.

Oh, he gets a "j/k".

:blowup:

You know we're all buying you a drink at Gen Con to "celebrate" your ban becoming official, right?

of course, Redstripe's right. Let's not derail another one. We're talking about totems. Surely, as champion of the L.C.D., you should relate to them.