Wyrd at Origins

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

okok, ANYWAY, it was a fun show, even if overall it did not seem particularly miniature focused. We were still more than happy to give people a rundown of how the rules worked, and of course push the minis. Things went well, I think it was a great warm up for Gencon, when the game will actually be available, and people will actually get to start playing!

SO, here is the game table :P

Game-Table-1.jpg

Game-Table-2.jpg

Game-Table-3.jpg

I prefer Origins over Gencon personally, but I lived in Columbus for almost a decade.

Origins is a great first run for any company, it really helps get the word out there about yourself, then when Gencon rolls around the hype is already there.

There was nothing like seeing all the minis in the case just begging for people to stop and ogle, and from what I saw a lot of people stopped and ogled at them.

I only saw Reaper and Crocodile at Origins most of it was Bif's Gaming Emporium style booths and a bunch of No Where going companies trying to have a presence, but heck if you were looking for an RPG from the 80s, magic cards, or plastic crack there was about 30 booths for you to peruse.

The only other spotlight was the company trying to sell 11,000$ gaming tables or for the low low price of 1200$ you could get a 4x4 gaming table or for a mere 200$ buy yourself a dice tower.:der:

The only other spotlight was the company trying to sell 11,000$ gaming tables or for the low low price of 1200$ you could get a 4x4 gaming table or for a mere 200$ buy yourself a dice tower.:der:

Well to be honest, the amount of work that can go into a table makes those prices seem somewhat reasonable.

It's not uncommon for me to sink several hundred hours into a table or more depending on the complexity. Of course I tend to include a bunch of functioning components that greatly increases the amount of time they take but that is part of the fun.

Add to that an approximate 700$ to 800$ cost of materials and all of a sudden the 1200$ price tag for a 4'x4' starts to seem reasonable.

Now 11K is a bit much but if they are finely finished wood pieces then there is even more effort and cost of materials sunk into the things.

Of course I didn't see the pieces for myself so I can't judge on the craftsmanship or complexity of the tables.

I can tell you that for a lot of what I do a 3K or higher price tag is about where I start to pay attention to work requests.

I think he means those fancy all-solid-hardwood ones that look kind of like pool tables, but have all kinds of bells and whistles, like storage units underneath, dice trays along the edges, and little fold-up trays to put your books on so you don't have them all over your battlefield.

Though, I did a 4x4 terrain table for more than $1200, so maybe not.

those tables rock. I wish I had the money to afford one. They have a section area inside the table so you can place inside it the dry erase stuff you need and even then put the top back on to hide away your game from the eyes of norms.

As for origins or gencon. I pick origins because im a local of columbus so I dont have to pay for hotel. Still have to pay for parking but that's still cheaper then a hotel.

Yeah the Sultan at $11,000 is crazy. Its looks nice but honestly I don't know if I would want a game table that looks that pretty when I know Mountain Dew will inevitable be split upon it.

Right now my home built table(4' x 8' with removable tops) which is just the frame and a top has cost me about 200 dollars and 2 really good days of labor. After I add all the fun stuff(Storage shelfs, some pull out writing shelves and cup holder), I can't see it costing more then 500 bucks.

Hell once I get mine done I should start selling these things. I could sell it for a grand and still pull a nice profit and still be 1/10 the cost of that table.

That's true. I'd forgotten all about the gentle art of losing while keeping things close enough to be interesting. Unless the person you're demoing to is being a jerk and making snarky comments about the game and how it won't sell because you went with 54mm (like you had any input on that decision) and how you should have just remade Warzone instead. In that case, you CRUSH HIS ASS.