Someone just tried to kidnap my kid ..

I can understand the reasoning the police are making, but it's a risky thing they're doing. It is almost like using human baits... They better be damn sure to catch him if he tries something again, because if he succeeds and they deliberately did not put up public warnings... well, people won't be happy.

I really hope they do catch the guy.

I agre totally there .. hopefull they have increased their presence in the area plain clothes as it were if theydo indeed intend to catch him otherwise they are just taking a massive risk at your neighbourhoods expense.

I kind of understand the logic but sounds like a hell of a risk.....I'm sure the neigbourhood on their guard will help and it's amazing how these incidents suddenly remind other people of something that didn't quite sit right but they didn't do anything at the time.

best of wishes to all of ya.

My thoughts are with you Nathan. It is truly terrifying that child predators walk amongst us, and frustrating that at times they seem to be a low priority for police. I'm glad that your daughter is safe, as well as the other children who were also stalked by this individual. I hope that he is caught before it's too late. It's a scary situation that hits close to home for me. When I was a little girl living in Miami I rode my bike to and from school (only about a mile). I started noticing a creepy looking man following me home, so I told my mom. She waited in a car about halfway between my home & school one day and when she saw the man trailing behind me she lept out of the car with a gun and told him she'd kill him if she ever saw him again. He said he just wanted to take my picture - it still creeps me out. My mom drove me to school from then on, and we mercifully never saw him again, but it made me very wary of people following me.

Holy shit! Some people are just sick bastards. I'm glad she got away from the perv. I can totally understand your rage and anger. I get really angry when my family or friends get pestered or harassed by punks. I don't have a kid yet but I can understand the rage will be 1000000 times as strong. I hope they'll catch the mo'fo (and sneakily I hope they'll hand him over to you for some one on one "talking").

My thoughts are with you Nathan. It is truly terrifying that child predators walk amongst us, and frustrating that at times they seem to be a low priority for police. I'm glad that your daughter is safe, as well as the other children who were also stalked by this individual. I hope that he is caught before it's too late. It's a scary situation that hits close to home for me. When I was a little girl living in Miami I rode my bike to and from school (only about a mile). I started noticing a creepy looking man following me home, so I told my mom. She waited in a car about halfway between my home & school one day and when she saw the man trailing behind me she lept out of the car with a gun and told him she'd kill him if she ever saw him again. He said he just wanted to take my picture - it still creeps me out. My mom drove me to school from then on, and we mercifully never saw him again, but it made me very wary of people following me.

Lesson of the day.. don't F%$k with Jess's mum..........

It is worrying that the police do tend to appear to give these things a low priority sometimes. It's the same over here and unfortunately that's when it leads to vigilante actions and then unfortunately the persons responsile for handing out the "justice" end up in more trouble.. I guess half the problem for the police is until the guy succeeds and they have direct evidence linking him to it their hands are tied. feelng a threat is no longer considered just cause for taking action. Had Jess's mum shot the guy she would have been held to account , should a random repair man turn up in Nath's neighbourhood in a white van looking like the guy someone will no doubt give him a kicking and they will be held to account.. It's a frustrating and for the most part safe world we live in but incidents like this do rile the primal instincts we all have as humans to protect our own.

Dang, Nathan, just saw this as I got back from ReaperCon. I was ever so cautious traveling with my 13 year old daughter and at times she was saying "Oh Mom" when I was 'too strict' in the airport, and at times I was letting her go with that trusting-but-watchful feeling every parent has. It's all of our worst nightmares. Rant all you need to us so you can be the strength and calmness your daughter needs from you. Me, I will breath deep and do what I can to keep children safe...and that means watching out for other people's kids as well as my own when out in public!

Wow, Thank god she was able to get away. And thank you for doing the smart thing and calling the cops. I am surprised when I here these things happen and find out that the parents don't even think to call the police.

I always tell my wife that she overprotective of our son but then I here stuff like this and I wonder if I am the naive one. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Well, it seems the catalyst to getting the police moving in earnest (atleast from my point of view) was the fact that another person came forward yesterday about this.

My wife and daughter spent the day with a composite sketch artist and by the time they got back home and into our neighborhood apparently the whole way was coralled by police who where handing out fliers and description sheets about the situation to people coming in and out of the subdivision and have stated publically that they will be leaving two police cruisers in the neighborhood at all time, one patrolling and one at the entrance/exit.

I expect the reason they are doing this as well is the fact that there are 686 households in this subdivision, well over a thousand kids, and one of the largest in the Woodstock area.

Wife got to the house only to find police crusiers on the street and several news vans, she sent the children inside and dealt with the folks outside which apparently is going on the news tonight and tomorrow in order to bring awareness to everyone. While there a police officer came up and said they had a leed ... I'm hopeful.

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/cherokee/stories/2009/05/19/stalker_0519_web.html

Quick blurb that went up in the last hour that was brought to my attention.

Goes a long way towards soothing me to be honest as I was getting frustrated with the whole 'wait and bait' tactic that seemed to be the direction they wanted to go.

I was wondering if it was one of Ann's composite students that live around the Atlanta area. (There are not a lot of composite artists in Georgia) That's one of Marla's composites. She's not one of Ann's students and I'm surprised you got her since there is a long waiting list for her work. She's very good at it so you have a good image to circulate.

Maya~

Appreciate it.

Bugger hasn't been caught but cop patrols have been heavy all over this area and I understand they've hauled a few people in and even went down south Georgia a few hours to track down an individual - nothing so far yet, least not that they are telling us.

Fairly well adjusted again on this end and things are back to normal, baby girl is sleeping in her own room again and not quite as clingy as she was earlier in the week so I think we're good to go. Not that we allow the kids to go anywhere on their own now.

I my line of work I meet all kinds of scumbags! What ever the crime, I've been their case manager...and just some, like this knumb-nuts...well I have an engraver and some 9mm hollow points...give me a name and it will be etched on to one. This world doesn't have the time or the patience for low-life's like this. All of us that have kids know what Nathan is feeling. Enough said!

Crazy. I step away from the forums for a few days, and come back to find this news. Thank God she is okay. As a moderately conservative, law-abiding citizen, I hope the police find the perp and put him away for life. Writing for myself as an overprotective father of one, I must admit I agree with the more colorful solutions offered above.