Asmodee to stop publishing Hell Dorado (TGN)

Keltheos

Best Miniatures on the market + great rules = still not enough.

Without a proper business model running it a notch higher than a garage level company is impossible. My crazy guess would be that they had to sell ca.500-700 copies of a model to make it even in terms of running the company. Now, with the exclusion of all markets, save French speaking ones, that seems like a quite a challenge.

It's weird to see two world's best sculptors on a sinking ship for a second time in a couple of years (Ilyad anybody?).

I wish somebody picks it up and does the justice to the game.

Typical. I have questioned the viability of a "French only" game before and was told by people that it made perfectly sense and was a fine choice business wise. Right...I'm not surprised. I don't know how Alkemy does but I think they do much better as they aim for a much bigger market than Helldorado did.

Ah well...I have preordered the Immortals box and it is always nice to have some cool OOP models around...

Without a proper business model running it a notch higher than a garage level company is impossible. My crazy guess would be that they had to sell ca.500-700 copies of a model to make it even in terms of running the company. Now, with the exclusion of all markets, save French speaking ones, that seems like a quite a challenge.

It's weird to see two world's best sculptors on a sinking ship for a second time in a couple of years (Ilyad anybody?).

I have some ilyad models.

they are not so good actually.. the painters did brilliant jobs on them yes but the models arent *that* good tough not necessarily bad (but dont ask me about casting quality >_< )

I only have one helldorado model and its much much better, wish I had more (wish I did bought the starterboxes for 20 euro at spiel argghh...)

I would be sad to see helldorado go far before it could reach real fruition (is that a word ?) I do expect someone to take over the miniatureline as that always happens, but equally as often it means the game itself as well as the hope for new releases is gone.

I agree 216%. I find this hobby of ours to be unlike any other in that anybody with a passion for the product figures they can run a business. Why oh why didn't they get English rules up and running immediately? Stupid. I've heard the rules were "80% translated" which is somehting after how ever many months (years?). Like I said on other boards I was able to simply push a button and have their "going outta business" message translated from french to english in less then a second.

Simply amazing models. The small sampling I have are fantastic, and the "demons of greediness" are my fav models in my collection. It won't take long for the talent behind the models to get work I think. Best of luck to everyone dirrectly affected by this. Business isn't easy, it takes more than good product to make it today.

tough Im aiding in derailing yet another topic.

I have all their chaosmorphes apart from the big scorpion fella. those are great. tough the casting is mediocre (broken stuff.. bubbles etc.)

I have the dryad, wich I bought without ever seeing a picture.. and it is actually there best model I have :)

the sucky models are as said above the elves and the mercenaries (? they seemed kind of turkish in styling.) they are all very multipart but not all parts seem to fit properly (tough I suck at cleaning.) and then a set of dwarfs with fur hats. these are ok, not really special.

if anyone is interested in checking out this line just for the heck of it :

http://www.ludikbazar.com/index.php?cPath=460_4271_4078

most are under 2 euros, and have been for a couple of months now (as I got my stuff last year with a rackham paint special offer deal.. lots of paint and lots of minis for grocery money of a single day :P)

but leave 2 more scarab lords for me willya >_<

There's already been more interest in Pulp City, Infinity and Alkemy locally than there ever was for Hell Dorado.

Why?

The rules are available in English. The biggest language market for gaming supplies and Asmodee wasn't able to get beyond national pride. It'll kill you every time. You have to go where the market is in this industry, not where you hope to create one.

Look at Rackham (although maybe not the best example for a business model). 1e did okayish, 2e exploded when it was translated officially into English.

Best game in the market won't do you any good if you aren't making it available to the buyers who want it.

Look at Rackham

HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

As someone pointed out in an earlier post, the translation's been paid for and was 80% done (that missing 20% is actually updates and clarifications to the rules along with the new fluff for the Immortals).

Things are done and ready to go - and knowing Geof, he's not about to let his baby go the way of the Dodo just yet...

I was initialy sad, but now just angry at the chance for something great to make it into my circle of gamer/painter friends being lost due to a poor decision (or so it seems to look to me). I thought the range was quite small, but as this beast shudders and cries in its death throes I am seeing people post up pics of mini's they have, or wanted to have that I had never even seen before. The line was much bigger then I thought. What I want to know is, how long were they around? It looks like they had YEARS of mini releases! In that entire time they couldn't get an English rule book or some added exposure to their product?

Don't wait too long for Malifaux please guys..... I'm just sayin'.

HD's been around for at least 2 or 3 years. I remember buying some figs for a pal who couldn't get to Indy from the US carrier in either 2007 or 2006 (I think it was 7). So they've had at least 2 years to get an official English ruleset out.

Wow. Un-Funking-believable. What a shot at greatness they had. Nobody I have come across has said anything but dynamite stuff about their mini's. I'm a GW fan, but this range of mini's had all the glitz and gloss with their packaging to give it shelf appeal, and if ever there was a range thast could have universally got the gamers looking more at the painting side of things I think it was these guys. I weep tears of fury.

Man, if I run a company and I know I can expand my interests by putting some english stuff into French..... Je suis francais tout suite mon frere. Wow. Who runs these companies? I wonder what the price tag for the rights to this go's for? Anyone got any contact info?

As someone pointed out in an earlier post, the translation's been paid for and was 80% done (that missing 20% is actually updates and clarifications to the rules along with the new fluff for the Immortals).

Things are done and ready to go - and knowing Geof, he's not about to let his baby go the way of the Dodo just yet...

I think you are right. The english rules are almost finished, 2 books (novels) are ready for printer and they released the Immortals today. I think they should have waited a few more weeks as the US and Uk markets (and english speaking countries) is a large one. Not releasing english rules was a non sense. Alkemy released the rules in french, english, german (spanish may be?). They just start making money with the game 1 year after it was launched.

I think you are right. The english rules are almost finished, 2 books (novels) are ready for printer and they released the Immortals today. I think they should have waited a few more weeks as the US and Uk markets (and english speaking countries) is a large one. Not releasing english rules was a non sense. Alkemy released the rules in french, english, german (spanish may be?). They just start making money with the game 1 year after it was launched.

Yes, Architekt has spanish versions of the cards, so I expect they'll be doing one.

As for Helldorado, I know the plan was to have the English release be in two parts - one book with rules and scenarios, the other with fluff and army stats.

Bien franchement, je suis juste heureux qu'au moins un des projets sur lequel j'ai travaillé sorte cette année...

The three most recent miniature-based projects I've had were:

- the translation of Alkemy's Genesis into English.

- updating an already translated version of Helldorado's rules to include the most recent erratas and rule updates, along with translating the documents about the current league (scenarios, rules and all).

- proofreading the Army Book for Cogs for AT-43.

I'm just waiting for the next contract to come in...

Xenon- I hope this isn't a sore spot, and I don't mean to offend. Why did it take so long for Hell Dorado to get translated? Or did they just give it to you recently?

I'm just stumped but this really bugs me. The figs are so gourgeous, and my local gang is kind of at a cross roads now where I've been around and found stuff not GW related that can really open up the painting and hobby in general in my city. Hell Dorado could've and should've been it!

I'm serious when I say I want Malifaux rules yesterday. The time is now for Saskatoon!

Anyway, how is Alkemy, worth a look?

If any of this is too sore or scabby to talk about feel free to PM me if you like. Or, of course, you can always ignore me!

Alkemy rules are great, miniatures are not too expensive but they are in plastic. The advantage : they are easy to assemble, light and if you drop one it won't break. Disadvantage : a pain in the ass to paint and not many details (compared to the resin ones I have).

I play both Okko and Alkemy which are my favourites games and I'll start Hell Dorado and Ron & Bones soon.

Alkemy minis are fairly pricy for the packaging. Kraken's already acknowledged they screwed up with their packaging methodologies and are moving to improve them in the future (thank God). The game's a lot of fun, and I can't wait to see the Genesis English book when it drops. Thanks for the hard work on translating, XW. Kraken has proved you CAN translate a rulebook from French to English with few (if any) translation issues. Kudos!

Asmodee had a philosophy as to why they weren't going to do the official English rules for a while. I can't speak to exactly what it was, but for some people it read as a nose-thumbing to their English audience. Some applauded the designers' honesty. Others thought it was silly to cut your own throat by not producing what the market was asking for.

I'm sure someone else can speak better to that than I can.