Totally off 'mini' topic but...

Beer? Sissy.

Maker's Mark and Knob Creek are both fine bourbons. If rye is more to your taste, I'd suggest Sazerac, though it may be tough to find outside of a good liquor store, as bars (at least, around Minnesota) don't generally stock ryes. Jim Beam rye (don't bother with their bourbon) is a good substitute, and a bit easier to find.

When I make it to that side of the ocean Rob you'll have to show me a proper good time.

:D

Me, I like Newcastle, but I don't think that's 'american'.

as long as your talking drinking your on........

Cider seems to be the big thing here currently.. Bottled Magners Bulmers that kind of thing.. I must admit I find it refreshingnow and again and bottles are usually a safer option than draft..

The teley's Brewery is visible from my door but to get a decent pint we have to go a few miles out of town..

A couple of good Guiness bars

but my favourite pint is timothy taylor's Landlord.. lovely stuff and one of the locals has over 50 draft Beers and TT's is the top seller by a long shot.....

Always curious why folks like Sam Adams so much ... I've had about a dozen of the various ones they have done and have yet to find one that I like, though the stuff seems to sell like crazy.

Of course, people like Bud Light too ... :shiver:

Have you tried the Cherry Wheat?

Sam's simply good and consistent.

I'm actually not much of a beer drinker, or much of a 'adult beverage' drinker at all...but I did like the Sam Adams Light beer...it really hit the spot.

When I do have a beer and I'm out, I'm a firm believer in just drinking whatever is on tap...Keg beer ALWAYS tastes better than bottled.

Alot of resturants are starting to have 'microbrews' and homemade concoctions. Not too bad!

When I do have a beer and I'm out, I'm a firm believer in just drinking whatever is on tap...Keg beer ALWAYS tastes better than bottled.

You obviously haven't tried any Belgian Trapist beers... Those are fermented inside the bottle and can't be had on tap, AFAIK. Some of those are among the best beers I've ever tasted.

Chimay is a fairly common one, available in three varieties. The best one I've tried is called Rochefort 10 and may be a bit more uncommon.

If you should happen to come across some, be aware of the final bit in the bottle, because it's got yeast residues left in the bottle. It doesn't taste very good, or at the very least, is something of an "aquired taste".

Beer? Sissy.

Hey c'mon I only asked about beers. I have enjoyed the odd scotch or two but I prefer gin. Beer's a longer more refreshing drink when you've got to pass tiime and not get too plastered.

Thanks for all the suggestions anyways, I'm sure I'll get to sample most of them :)

Not sure if it makes it all the way over to New York but take a look for Rogue Ales. Its a microbrew here in Oregon, the Chipotle Ale is decent (brewed with Jalapeno's) and the Chocolate Stout is pretty good.

Heh heh heh.

Yes, yes it does. Oddly enough the reference came from an MTG (magic The Gathering) player from upstate NY.

He called his deck Rogue Dead Guy. An obvious tap to the Dead Guy ale by the Rogue brewery. Rogue Ale has been in Upstate NY for years. We went through a 24 pack of liter bottles between three folks for one new years. I was drunk 48 hours later. Good times.

My favorite trappist brewery is Delirium. Can't go bad with pink elephants. Although the Chimay is always nice.

Maker's Mark!? Good for mixing with Coke (though their wax poured tops are awesome)! I like Evan Williams Single Barrel for bourbon.

Um, good American Beer... Sam Adams? The Honey Porter is really nice.

I admit, bourbon is not in my normal area of expertise. Rye is my preferred domestic whiskey, but it's not always easy to find outside of the south. (Some Canadian whiskies excepted, but the percentage of rye in them is pretty low compared to a straight rye.) Non-domestic, it's scotch all the way- none of that Irish piss-water.

Of course, that's just whisky. (And whiskey.) I love gin just as much, But I am not stupid enough to think I can school and Englishman on gin. (And in case you were wondering, Jamaican rum over Puerto Rican. No opinion on Tequilas, though. )