World Expo entries

Ritual

Hi! I returned from visiting World Expo in Girona, Spain, the other day. World Expo this year is probably the biggest miniatures exhibition ever with historical miniatures, fantasy miniatures and scale models (tanks and other vehicles). I am currently in the process of processing all the photos I took and will start a separate thread when I get them online.

In the mean time, I thought I'd post photos of the two miniatures I painted specially for this event and that in the end awarded me a gold medal in the Fantasy Master Painting category. I feel very honoured, and still quite shocked, by getting this award in such a high-level contest.

First up is the Avalonian Recruit bust from Kraken Edition's Artefactory line. Marvellous sculpt and a pure joy to paint.

avalonian-recruit.jpg

http://wyrd-games.net/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=2285&ppuser=51

Next is Airtis, a 54 mm barbarian gnome from Enigma Miniatures. Also a great sculpt and I really enjoyed painting a bigger scale than the usual 30-ish mm.

airtis-wyrd.jpg

http://wyrd-games.net/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=2284&ppuser=51

Hope you like them!

I've already give you my thoughts but here goes for all to see..

Simply beautiful...

The bust has an hyper realism to it that is just amazing.. Unlike most of these I have seen you've just concentrated on letting the sculpt do the work and used you uncanny ability to maximise the character of the subject. The chainmail and clothing are just phenomenal and don't draw the eye away from the focal point of the face.. truly stunning.

The Gnome is another where you have let the sculpt shine through. no heavy colouring or strange skin tone just good natural warm tones that bring out the nature of the piece. The belly hair is a little touch of class and the whole jobis just a great transition to that scale ..

A masterful pair from a master painter..

great stuff..

Thanks guys! :)

@moavo

Eric, painting classes might be difficult to arrange due to distance, but I'd be happy to answer any questions regarding technique (or anything else, for that matter) you may have or try to explain how I did things.

Oh, and I've posted these on CMON so if you'd want to vote for them, here's the links:

Airtis

Avalonian Recruit

Excellent stuff. Voted 10's on them as they really really deserve it. One day, I'll be close to that level ... I have my JBT DVD ready!

[edit] What's the casting like on the bust? Was it difficult to remove the mould lines over the chain mail at all?

Edited by 350kilotons

Thanks guys! I'm really overwhelmed by the comments I've been given here and on other sites about my new minis.

@350kt

The Kraken bust is an excellent cast! There were basically NO mold lines. The only things that bugged me was the company name pressed into the underside (the space painted dark brown) and the sculptors signature carved into the foot. I did sand and fill that in to create a smooth underside. Otherwise, just some light scraping with my x-acto was needed. All of Kraken's resin stuff so far has been excellent quality.