I like Zombie movies ....

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim gave me the Walking Dead ones and they were fantastic, depressing, but fantastic. I need to read the rest of them.

Monster Planet, Monster Island and Monster (whatever) all sucked. Sorry if you're a fan of them, but bad reads.

I read through most of Monster Island...I can't say it sucked. It has some very unique twists on the zombie genre. The writing was pretty tight...and the action decent.

But, on the same token, I never finished it, so it must not have really grabbed my attention.

The reason I even gave it a chance is because you can get it for free....

It is certainly worth the time, if you are hard up for freebie zombie action.

If we're talking about books, there's Book of the Dead and Book of the Dead 2, edited by John Skipp and Craig Spector. Basically, they're collections of short stories about the undead (in some variation) by various horror and suspense authors. Some of the stories are ok, some are pretty good.

Zombie Flesh Eaters, anyone? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080057/

A lot of gore films (with zombies, cannibals, vampires, serial killers, etc.) were made in Italy in the 70s and early 80s. Most of them are rather poor films with low budget, but if you want morbidity, bad taste, gratuitous nudity, sadism and general depravity this is where you'll get it!

I bought them, maybe that's the difference.

Oh yeah! That is the big difference!!

There have been plenty of movies I liked when a rental, but had I shelled out big bucks to see them in the theatre, I'd most likely have hated them!

Still got those books? I'd be interested in giving them a read through!

I'm torn on those two.. couldn't decide wether to get them or not for ages then they were part of a special offer on boxed sets in the local supermarket and I picked the two films up and enjoyed them a lot.. I think the second is just edging it a little for me

The cannibal films that were video nasties in the 80's and then had a ressurgence were pretty cool if you like high on random gore ... cannibal appocalypse definitely jumps to mind....

I watched one last week and can't for the life of me remember what it was called.. I think it may have been a combination of been high on painkillers and watching it with earphones in a hospital bed after dark but it scared the shite out of me....group of people in the jungles of new guinea....fairy recent.. not a zombie but a cannibal affair??/ any takers? could have been welcome to the jungle?

Slugs was fun.....

and Black Sheep.sort of a shawn of the dead ..with sheep .. funny film..

Jim gave me the Walking Dead ones and they were fantastic, depressing, but fantastic. I need to read the rest of them.

Monster Planet, Monster Island and Monster (whatever) all sucked. Sorry if you're a fan of them, but bad reads.

I read Monster Island... Well, while I'm sure it won't be remembered by the futur generation as a major masterpiece, I find it rather pleasant... Yet I was unable to read Monster Nation past page 10.

"Down the road" was also a major disapointment (like "it floods out of a cow but it isn't milk" kind of disapointment)

Did anyone read "Automn"? I bought the books but they are still waiting on my bookshelf. I heard a movie was made from this serie

I read the Monster trilogy. They weren't great, but were readable.

The Autumn series is very good. 5 books so far with another out soon I believe.

The Cell is Stephen King's take on the zombie story. If you've read The Stand or any of his other longer monster books, its the same basic story: Small group of people, whose backgrounds you get too much in depth info on, fighting an omnipotent critter and some die suddenly and pointlessly at the same point in every book as the impetus to kill the thing once and for all.

Anyone watched any of the recommendations found here?

Got a plan to watch some of them this week coming when I have some time off.

Speaking of books, or in this case, Audio Books, I find that they work best for me these days while I'm working. Don't have to bother with anyone and it makes the night go by quicker.

Anyhoo, not really a zombie type book, more in the vein of 28 Days Later, but Steven King did a book called 'Cell'. I've only listened to about forty minutes worth of it so far but it seems somewhat interesting. Basically there is a signal or something that is transmitted through the phone lines/cell phones and everyone around the planet, at the same time, anyone that is on the phone, or gets on the phone there after, basically goes psychotic and its a merry time had by all. We'll see where it goes.

Hah, go figure, I read your post but missed the reference to Cell - snake - bite ... you get the picture.

I can't stand to read any of King's stuff to be honest, but I figure I can have the audio book do it for me and see what comes of it. Like everything though, King's stuff goes to film and I figured this one was right up there for the Sci-Fi Channel.

• 1 month later...

yeah, I checked out the spanish film, the scenes they show in the trailer look almost exactly the same as REC.

As for the genre, I think we have to consider viral zombies just the standard now days, and similarly handheld 1st person filming is becoming a standard now. The issue is now not how it was shot anymore, but we have to go back to whether WHAT is shot is a compelling or interesting story.