phases in your painting

EricJ

Hey Bexley & [the] Brain,

"Army" painting, if it is indeed a phase, is one I never escaped. For me it's more a constant point of view;i.e., I think of minis in tems of groups. With "proper" war games the groups can [you might have noticed] be quite large. The great thing about fantasy/sci-fi skirmish games is the groups of minis is relatively small, & quite frequently they are individuals rather than blocks of identically posed/colored minis that are devoid of personality.

Painting up minis that fit together ties in with a general philosophy that toy soldiers are meant to be played with; sitting forlorn in a display case is too sad a fate to contemplate.

Guest The_Brain

Well i play WarhammerFantasy...But normally i prefer painting for my Showcase or Heroes for the game. But in that phase i painted 40 Goblins within 3 weeks, which is pretty fast for me. And they all look quite the same ^^. Of course i didn´t stop to paint for the army, but not in that volume, if it´s the right word.

I haven't really painted groups of figures in years. Then I started working at a company with lots of gamers, and started an office Blood Bowl league, which finally (sixteen years after buying them) got me to paint up my Skaven team. And with the prospects of lunchtime 40K, I finally have a decent motivation to paint up all the marines I've collected in my off-years from 40K. I played Eldar previously, and began buying the figures for a space marine army just before all of my opponents moved away, sold their stuff, or enlisted. While I haven't played since second edition, I still collected new models as they came out. Prior to all this, the last time I painted a squad or group of anything was maybe... 1996? 1997? I was still married, at least, so it was at least before 2001.

Wow, you work in Paradise. My involvement in gaming, both table top & RPG went South along with my hearing. The comaraderie is what I really enjoyed about gaming & alot of folks hate repeating themselves. I do get to paint other folks gaming minis which is some compensation, God is good.

What's the composition of a Blood Bowl team? The War Store [ www.thewarstore.com ] carries a line of mini aptly named Fanatasy Football that I'd like to turn into BB team(s), if I could figure out what a team was [they could keep my Night Goblins company]. This might be another phase.

I haven't really painted groups of figures in years. Then I started working at a company with lots of gamers, and started an office Blood Bowl league, which finally (sixteen years after buying them) got me to paint up my Skaven team. And with the prospects of lunchtime 40K, I finally have a decent motivation to paint up all the marines I've collected in my off-years from 40K. I played Eldar previously, and began buying the figures for a space marine army just before all of my opponents moved away, sold their stuff, or enlisted. While I haven't played since second edition, I still collected new models as they came out. Prior to all this, the last time I painted a squad or group of anything was maybe... 1996? 1997? I was still married, at least, so it was at least before 2001.

What's the composition of a Blood Bowl team? The War Store [ www.thewarstore.com ] carries a line of mini aptly named Fanatasy Football that I'd like to turn into BB team(s), if I could figure out what a team was [they could keep my Night Goblins company]. This might be another phase.

Impact! Miniatures has their Deadlings range for "elfball"

My current phase is phasing out all my old unpainted stuff that I'm not interested in painting and starting from scratch, only buying models enough to paint and not buying any new until I have what I already own painted. It makes for a much nicer looking display case :)

I'm going to start with Seamus and his Belles!