Hambo

cdukino

Hi... no it's more like a lego-gun. But like I also explained... a gun for me is: a tuby thing to get the bullets out. Something to grab hold of and some "I don't know" stuff in the middle. And there ends the Cindy's knowledge of guns lesson. Never really appealed to me to actually learn more.

Thanks guys. Yes he's rather cute. I think I caught that cuteness bug somewhere in the past and can't shake it off. So i just decided to accept it ;) I swear one of these days I need to do a horror mini just to shake off the cuteness stigmata a bit ;) ... nah not really... i probably end up with a cute brain eating zombie or something

I'm not to fond of his right paw as well. I altered it 3 times and this was the best i could get without first causing massive damage. Problem is with the short arms and the rounded bulk of the body and the straight gun, it's either a more natural grip and better looking paw but a ridiculously long off looking arm and posing... or the arm more in proportion but the grip looking akward. I did have castability to think off and still wonder if it will cast ok. To improve the right paw and grip would mean resculpting and repositioning the gun differently. Which was way to much resculpting and work to do. Not that I couldn't... just didn't feel like it. This was just a fun project which happened to come out rather nicely.

But it definatly isn't my best work (wasn't ment to either. it was just relaxing for me really. The idea popped up in my head and just had to be made) and there are flaws abundance (much more then just the paw... I won't point them out though ;). But i think it has character and is fun. So i decided to leave it as it is and I might even have it cast up for Magpie miniatures if i can get that arranged without a load of costs.

Reworking it might make me loose intrest and it will never get done again... or i totally mess up and it ends up in the bin completely (wouldn't be the first time something like that happened)

or the arm more in proportion but the grip looking akward.
Yeah, you get that when you go into giving animals human poses. I had the same problem with my white rabbit but there I solved it with more humanoid type arms:

wrmhkao.jpg

There is also the way the gun is held. A few pointers. If you hold a rifle straight you will reach over it (shoulders pushed forward a bit) and hold the grip. Like over here:

183701.1010.a.jpg

That's a M60 by the way. :tongue2:

Of course, this is a bit hard with short arms like on a hamster. There are a couple of gun positions which avoid the problem. Barrel down - arm can point forward so you can use the whole length and hand goes straight underneath the gun. No need to reach over it. Note the way she hold her finger alongside the trigger guard and not on the trigger. This is the way we were taught in the army when not firing. Avoids you accidentally shooting somebody. "All clear" - points in air, arm length not a problem. Hanging down - with sling over shoulder or not. Another is with the gun slung in front. You can rest the hands on it or have on do something else. Doesn't look very threatening though.

Hope that helps. Oh, and I know you don't like making guns. If you intend to make more armed critters then I may have a suggestion. More on that this weekend.

As to the squirrel discussed on Frothers - look at the one by Stefan to see how he got the tail included in the cast.

Apart from all that: love the sculpt and am looking forward seeing it in real life.

Bye, Ming-Hua

I wouldn't try to get the arm over it at this point. You would also have to pull the shoulders forward and that's going to be very risky (and a lot of work). One minimal conversion you can try is to turn the the hand at the pistol grip so it's less angled. Here is a page with examples of how a gun is held. The ones on top have the rifle grip while the ones at the bottom have the pistol grip (what you need).

Bye, Ming-Hua

• 3 weeks later...

@minimaker: 22 mm. But that's actually not that important. it's more the size it happened to become. So for future furry-furies it doesn't have to be this size really. I prefer the guns slighlty over the top though. Now if I can get some rocketlaunchers and handgranates I can fire up the next furry-fury ;)

As for not being an M60. Well that figures as i can't tell a M60 from a catapult (well actually i can tell that difference... but you get the idea ;) )