Which master box to pick up second? (also possible suggestions for Pandora)

Chaosgunrunner

I just started into a Malifaux beginner league and chose the Pandora box as my Master.  That said, I was told that it's a good idea to diversify my collection to allow for more options since you construct your list on the spot.  My question is, which masters are a good pair up with Pandora 1/2?  And if so, which boxes of minions are good choices in which they share?  (bonus if they are dual faction)  Thank you in advanced.

As far as keyword overlaps go, I'd say Dreamer too, but if you're looking to make the most out of Hinamatsu and Hooded rider I'd say you should look into Zoraida and her swampfiends. Like Pandora she plays a bit of a control game, but quite differently and should scratch your itch when it comes to changing your playstyle and adapting to pools. She's really versatile when it comes to hiring, but you'll want some swampfiends in her crew to make the most of all her tricks. (The title version more that the OG.) She's also dual faction with Bayou so there's that as well. When it comes to purchases you'll probably get by well with her core box and silurids. (though her title box contains Kurgan, which is a real utility outside swampfiends as well. I frequently use it with Titania)

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, Chaosgunrunner said:

Is Zoraida different enough to cover for all possibilities in Tournament play?

Between both titles I'd say she's different enough. If you want to cover everything you'll need more than 2 masters.

You already got 2 of the best beaters in faction in Hinamatsu and the Rider, and Zoraida1 makes very good use of these by obeying them to do more of what they want to do. If you need schemers, silurids are probably one of the best models for that in the game and can be used to good effect with both titles (though Zoraida2 does not have a range limit on moth witch, and is probably the better pick in scheme heavy pools). With a powerful obey on Zoraida1, you also have tools to deny your opponent scoring certain schemes and strats as well.

I feel it's also worth noting that both titles have a fair amount of card draw/manipulation as well.

The weakest point in a Zoraida crew is that both titles are quite dependant on other models to do the heavy lifting, so losing key models can be devastating for her.

• Thanks 1

You can have plenty of fun with simply Pandora’s box and a Teddy. 

Throw in Hinamatsu, The Rider and The Title box, for spice. Emissary and Carver are nice as well  

If you’ve got money to burn, and don’t mind buying a box for a single mini. Wrath off the Crossroads Seven is nice. The Adze is a stable in my crews. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

I wholly agree with Hawkoon and Regelridderen.

With Pandora, Zoraida + partial keywords + versatiles you have plenty of play (and learning) for a year/Gaining Grounds🙂.

"Suffering" and solving challenges
with fewer masters and models will make you a better player by far. Then branch out afterwards - you will know and understand a lot more in the future.

Tactically they supplement each other well (see comments above) and have very different playstyles and strengths/weaknesses.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Chaosgunrunner said:

Thank you for your in put.  I've only ordered my Hooded Rider for now, though I will look into a Teddy, the title box for Pandora, and maybe the Iggy/Aversion box.  

Good choice - have fun.

Look up the podcast Harlefaux, their first episode was on Pandora - and they did the reveal on her title as well. On YouTube, they do battle reports as T&G Productions, and they’re my personal favourite malifaux content.