40ss or 50ss ?

thunderwolf

My personal speculation without having played it is that it is a fun meme format like Double Rush, but I don't think most tournament metas would accept it.

Going to 2 master actions just funamentally alters the game, in that a much different range of criteria applies to your masters now.

Damian for instance is probably pretty meh in this meta, while someone like Shenlong or Perdita has a higher chance of being broken because they do so much without spending actions.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Yeah, I am honestly surprised that any tournament would play at 40 stones, so the Adepticon choice took me off guard. I do remember in early M3E that American tournaments had issues playing to five turns at 50 stones a lot. Is that still the case/why it was done?

There is certainly zero consideration of 40 stones as something anyone might want to play beyond slowly scaling up point values for new players in my local meta (and when we do that we play Masters as having 3 AP so that we are teaching new players how Masters work at the "real" 50 stone level :D ).

• Agree 1

I would be surprised if it replaced 50ss. It might become popular as a faster game, but I don't see just 2 master actions becoming popular.  

I used to really enjoy randomly determining game size ( we flipped a number of cards to determine size) as a way to disrupt fixed list building,  so it could well be a way to try and reset the meta. 

My gut feeling is that it would favour summoning as it is generally more powerful in smaller games and quite a few of the summoning Masters don't have the best actions outside of their summoning so losing an AP isn't as big a deal. Perdita2 was a good shouout from Maniacal as she does so much passively and summons on top of it. Dreamer1 would probably be very good as well since much of his power is in Chompy and he summons.

I also wonder how it affects the various Schemes and Strats and how easy they are to score.

Seems quite radical among the various alternate formats. 

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

My local community has been trying it out since it was announced. So far, I have really not seen much difference. I am just a causal player, so take that was you will. Turns over all seem faster, master activations are way faster, and there really is little difference in crew creation. Comparing list, I am normally down just one model. It does really make you think about what you are going to put in your crew. Will it be the new normal for tournaments? I don't think so, but then again, look at clocks.