Waldo's Weekly - Neck of the Woods

Kyle

Hey Wyrdos,

This week, Waldo branched out on a limb and decided to save a little bit of green by going foraging in the forest. We were really rooting for him. You wood think he’d know what to look for, but we were stumped by the berried treasure he found instead. Seemed pretty seedy to us, so we suggested to leaf it alone. Fortunately, there wasn’t mushroom in his bag, so he couldn’t retreeve it. In a nutshell, the trip was too over-elming, so he got spored pretty quickly.

So, while we try to think of more acorny jokes, let’s take a look at what he stumpled across: Gwyll!

WW_6.22.2022_Art.jpg

Dryads were once guardians of Malifaux’s forests and wild places. Each tended groves and cultivated gardens or became Autumn Knights: eternal servants of Queen Titania. Those few who did not remained in their meadows and orchards. When the Grave Spirit entered Malifaux, Dryads watched the Autumn Court become a thing of undeath. Centuries of work rotted away in moments. Survivors fled the necromantic surge. One of their kind, Gwyll, endured the irreparable trauma. He watched his kin waste away, giving themselves to the loam rather than live to see what Titania had done to their lands. Waters of regret fed bitter seeds. These blossomed into flowers of hate.

WW_6.22.2022_Render.jpg

Gwyll made his lair in the far corners of the Knotwoods, where most Neverborn would not dare to venture, hiding from Titania and plotting revenge. Much time passed before he received visitors. The newcomers were strange... They asked the Dryad to balance the scales of life and death for one of their greatest champions. Trauma-worms wriggled inside Gwyll’s head, and he offered a deal. If the champion was an enemy of the Autumn Queen, the Dryad would keep this champion alive. So was the bargain made, and so this ancient warrior endured for centuries under Gwyll’s watch.

WW_6.22.2022_Card.jpg

Who could Gwyll be protecting? You’ll have to wait and see!

• Like 5

Well Wyrd, as though I wasn't already wildly excited for the Returned keyword possibilities...you went and did this. Must have the bemushroomed dryad, down with the Queen, long live the champion of she that fell!

Maybe. Just guessing. The rezzer background on this card has my rumor mill squids on complete inky overdrive.

Keep up the puntasticness too!

So this is intriguing,

We now have two Henchmen models, across two+ factions of use with the Returned keyword.

Barbaros Outcasts (and also Nekima) is Returned

Gwyll Rezzers is now also Returned

So time for rampant speculation....

I think (and I also think the consensus agrees) that the Returned is associated with Lilith and the fluff text in this Weekly only reinforces that belief. So will Lilith "return" in some form or fashion as Neverborn? Rezzers? Outcasts? some dual faction combination? or as something else entirely?? Is it Lilith at all?

I'm pretty sure the to be released next Malifaux book will include a new keyword for each faction. We've seen Returned (Rezzers/Outcast connection), Witness (Arcanist connection), Story (Ten Thunders connection), Angler (Bayou connection) and Cavalier (Guild connection), I think that is the summary. So I am wondering who will get what and where??    

1 hour ago, dancater said:

So this is intriguing,

We now have two Henchmen models, across two+ factions of use with the Returned keyword.

Barbaros Outcasts (and also Nekima) is Returned

Gwyll Rezzers is now also Returned

So time for rampant speculation....

I think (and I also think the consensus agrees) that the Returned is associated with Lilith and the fluff text in this Weekly only reinforces that belief. So will Lilith "return" in some form or fashion as Neverborn? Rezzers? Outcasts? some dual faction combination? or as something else entirely?? Is it Lilith at all?

I'm pretty sure the to be released next Malifaux book will include a new keyword for each faction. We've seen Returned (Rezzers/Outcast connection), Witness (Arcanist connection), Story (Ten Thunders connection), Angler (Bayou connection) and Cavalier (Guild connection), I think that is the summary. So I am wondering who will get what and where??    

The "champion" having been watched over for centuries doesn't sound particularly Lilith-esque. In fact nothing in this story sounds like Lilith, the only connection we have is Barbaros and he may have signed up only because of "enemy of my enemy is my friend" reasons.

• Agree 2

19 hours ago, Kyle said:

He watched his kin waste away, giving themselves to the loam rather than live to see what Titania had done to their lands.

Does Loam mean soil? So they just died? Or is it a bit cooler and they became Waldgeists?

12 hours ago, Azahul said:

The "champion" having been watched over for centuries doesn't sound particularly Lilith-esque. In fact nothing in this story sounds like Lilith, the only connection we have is Barbaros and he may have signed up only because of "enemy of my enemy is my friend" reasons.

Oh I missed that the first read through, or misconstrued it, you're right that the champion being watched over for centuries doesn't sound Lilifu-esque. Though I suppose it's possible she has been watched over without knowing about it...that seems relatively improbable.

Im drawing a blank on any lore suggesting whom this champion might be at this point, certainly not Killjoy given he's firmly in Titania's court, though that hasn't always been the case in the game, presumably he was always part of the court lore wise. Still, he's all that I can think of that even sort of fits...and that's a puzzle piece that doesn't really go you know? 

Hey Wyrd, more clues please...or you can just keep teasing us all, that's cool too.