1st Tournament approaching - Opinions

BadLuckBear

Morning all!

So, my first ever Malifaux tournament approaches and I'm taking a single keyword...FAE! I love the Queen, I think she is so versatile...only issue I have is I have never won a game of M3E with her. How many stones are you guys bringing to the table when you use her? My average is 5 but I think I may be crutching on them too much...

It really depends on the master and crew you choose. No point in bringing too many.

With Pandora I quite often make do with two stones, mainly reserving for a mask for Candy’s by your side, and perhaps a stone to keep her alive. 

With Dreamer I rarely go below 6, because I want the masks for summoning - and Chompy enjoys a guaranteed Execute once in a while.

With Lucius, I never spend more than four. His card draw is great, and I rarely buy suits.

I’ve no experience with the fae, but…

No amount of stones gives you the activations you need to accomplish your Strats and Schemes, so I prefer spending my stones on models (and rarely upgrades).

Then again…

When I play my Colette, I run two fighty henchmen who benefit from those stones. Colette herself makes do with chickens, but beyond those I can easily burn 6-7 stones.

So really it’s a question of how much opportunity do you have to use those stones (number of henchmen) and how many abilities do they possess that require suits?

-

Rant over.

4 hours ago, BadLuckBear said:

Morning all!

So, my first ever Malifaux tournament approaches and I'm taking a single keyword...FAE! I love the Queen, I think she is so versatile...only issue I have is I have never won a game of M3E with her. How many stones are you guys bringing to the table when you use her? My average is 5 but I think I may be crutching on them too much...

If you have the time I would suggest trying a game with her with 0 stones, and then  a game with 10 stones, and see for yourself how much you value the stones.  (And I mean YOU. the way you play will make a difference, based on how much you try and draw extra cards, meet suit requirements, prevent damage or bypass negatives). 

When you play her do you often have left over stones?  Or are you spending turn 4 and 5 wishing you hadn't spent that last stone on turn 3? 

• Like 2

On 11/12/2021 at 2:48 PM, Adran said:

If you have the time I would suggest trying a game with her with 0 stones, and then  a game with 10 stones, and see for yourself how much you value the stones.  (And I mean YOU. the way you play will make a difference, based on how much you try and draw extra cards, meet suit requirements, prevent damage or bypass negatives). 

When you play her do you often have left over stones?  Or are you spending turn 4 and 5 wishing you hadn't spent that last stone on turn 3? 

That’s really solid advice. I always forget I can stone for damage but I usually manage to stretch my stones out over each turn 

On 11/18/2021 at 7:47 AM, Sprixus said:

Titania isn't that suite hungry, and neither is Aeslin. As people have said, wouldn't go below 2 and wouldn't go above 4.

Unless Hinamatsu was on my list then I'd consider 6-7, just because Hinamatsu can eat 3 stones in a turn comfortably.

I would say both Aeslin and Titania are both quite suit hungry... I usually go 5-7SS with them both in the crew.

Titania has great triggers on nearly all her actions. The mask trigger on germinate being crucial to getting her right where she wants to be without being bogged down by engagements. The way I play her (right in the thick of things, just out of reach for melee attacks), she gets hit quite a lot, so that ram trigger on awakened hunger is crucial to her survival, and makes her super tanky. And if my opponents aren't hurting her that much, into thorns is nearly always relevant for controlling your opponents placement and doing more damage.

Depending on your pool Aeslin may or may not be hungry for suits. She can however single handedly score you detonate charges in one activation from 8" away if you got the tomes for draw out secrets. (If you have Titania apply injured to a low df model earlier the same turn, it's going to be really hard for your opponent to deny you the point)

• Like 1