Lessons from Playing McMourning Insanitary

Deathinabox

I've gotten a few games with McMourning Insanitary under my belt now and I've learned a lot about how he works. I was getting all my thoughts in order and figured I'd share with the class as well.

This is the crew list I primarily use

McM2 - Free

Zombie Chihuahua - Free

Rogue Necromancy - 10

Kentauroi - 8

Corpse Curator - 6

Nurse - 6

This leaves 20 points to play around with. He's got a lot of other good options which I'll go into later.

McM2 seems to primarily play as a support summoner. He wants to drop out flesh constructs, power up your experimentals with upgrades, poison, and extra attacks, and allow markers to be used much more efficiently by the rest of the crew.

Stat-wise, he's nothing special. He has pretty typical master stats. However, he only has disguised to protect him, making him one of the squishier masters in the game.

Don't Mind Me: It's cool that he has this, but it's never come up for me. I play him pretty far back and his AP is too valuable to be spent running schemes in my opinion

Perverse Metabolism: He doesn't often get to the absurd levels of posion that McM1 does, but he will usually have a few to heal 2-3 at the end of turn

Horrendous Corpse: We've now starting into the really cool stuff. This ability is huge as it requires no range or LoS. Early on, it can be used for extra corpses to run his engine. Later on, it can be used to easily drop scheme markers for any schemes that need them. Passing out the extra poison is a nice bonus

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle: One of his best abilities. This allows you a lot more wiggle room in how many models you can take that use corpses as it's a much less limited resource now. There are so many synergies with so many models, it's truly amazing. It also allows you to gain resources for things opponents do as well.

Rusty Tools: Charging is how McM2 gets around. Charge an experimental, hit it with the tools, chop off a corpse or scrap and give out poison +2 is a very efficient action.

Despicable Plots: Wow, this ability is so efficient. It's like 4 small actions all in one. Push a model, give poison, remove a marker, and attach an upgrade all for a 6. I will often cheat/stone for the mask to do it again. Being able to put out those upgrades efficiently is a huge part in making the crew function

Twisted Genius: McM2's ability to reuse corpse markers makes this action much easier to use than McM1's. He probably will want to use this every other turn at least as extra Flesh Constructs can really get a lot of work done.

Plastic Surgery: This action has so many potential uses. The simplest is giving a low cost model a much higher cost attack and sending it in to beat face.

Zombie Chihuahua: Functions mostly as a back line healer with blood poisoning. Can also gnaw on models to get the poison train started. With companion, you can pass him a savage bite and then activate him immediately to jump in and get a kill above his weight class before he gets sniped.

Suggested Upgrades: None, he doesn't really need them

Rogue Necromancy: He has a great bite to pass onto others, he handle's his own poison so you don't need to worry as much about him. And generally is able to tank/beat as needed

Suggested Upgrades: Arms: Gaining flurry is great for him as he gains 2 poison when he discards and he has an excellent attack.

Kentaroi: These are fast/tough models and can help positions your other models.

Suggested Upgrades: Legs. Making these guys move 8 really gets them around the board. Charge through works great on them when combined with their spears for +1 damage

Corpse Curator: An excellent support piece that really turns on the crews. He's the easiest way to get excess fat and metallic arms on your models. He can also be used as a third corpse for summoning flesh constructs. Finally, his ability to drop unresisted poison damage on a model in base contact is really strong.

Suggested Upgrades: Fat He can put down Toxic Sludge and carry it with him to catch nearby enemies in a damage 1 poison +2 hazardous terrain. It also makes his bonus action easier to activate

Head: He has really low willpower at 4. Making his Willpower 6 makes him much harder for enemies to move out of base contact with other models.

Nurse: These are great models to surgery attacks onto as they can build in a suit with tools for the job. In addition, they can remove distracted from McM2 for free with quick fix.

Suggested upgrades: Arms: Giving these girls a flurry is really strong with a powerful attack stapled onto them

The crew takes a little time to get up the board as they spend some time in setup, primarily making sure everyone has access to whatever upgrades they need and summoning. The crew excels in loadstones as they don't rely on places to move around, additionally, Flesh Constructs can be used to carry/score in this stat, unlike others. The crew is versatile enough to play into anything. In terms of schemes, they really like using markers and dropping schemes in the fight. Research Mission, Detonate Charges, and Deathbeds are all super easy for this crew. Hidden Martyrs works great with the Corpse Curator if he is used aggressively as he needs to be put down or he will hit far outside his weight class (I had a game where he killed Wong2 almost completely on his own.) Make sure to load up your other martyr with some upgrades to keep it alive.

Outside of the above models, here some others to consider.

Sebastian: Summons canine remains, (much easier to do when you can just recycle the corpse) Has a great melee attack (give it to a nurse and build in the ram for a stat 7 3/4/6 attack with the potential for +1 damage. He also provides another use of blood poisoning

Suggested Upgrades: Fat: Makes the dog summons easier

Flesh Constructs: I don't hire these, but I'll always summon at least one. You can give them a big attack and let them swing three times using reckless. Primarily they gunk things up and take a lot of attacks to chew through.

Suggested Upgrades: Legs: Slap an extra pair of legs on these guys and send them off to run schemes if needed

Guild Autopsy: These work like Outcast Prospectors. They can Creep Along to keep up, then drop a scheme marker and pick it up to draw a card. Then they remove a corpse (which McM2 replaces) to gain a soulstone. They pay for themselves and can be a great martyr or backline goalie.

Suggested Upgrades: None, they don't really need any of them

Little Gasser: Haven't tried them yet as they primarily focus around passing poison, which this crew doesn't need as much. However, depending on the terrain, I could see flight being very useful.

Suggested Upgrades: Legs: Somehow the extra weight makes them fly faster....They can be used to run schemes

Canine Remains: These guys suddenly became good. They can use carrion away to remove a corpse marker (McM2 replaces) then they drop a corpse marker. Extra corpses. Other than that they can do the same as autopsies and draw you a card. Finally they can run schemes if needed and position corpses for other models.

Suggested Upgrades: Legs: With certain models in your crew, any speed boost for them could be a speed boost on others

Non Experimentals

Anna Lovelace: Still does all the things she's great at. Additionally, grade assignment will net you a free card and Scheme Marker, or two cards and a scheme Marker at the cost of a corpse/scrap. Gravity Well will stop models from placing into combat with McM and help keep him alive.

Toshiro: This crew uses a lot of minions. Who love the Leadership ability. Also, he has easy access to corpses for Unending Fealty. Bloated Stench is nice. A nurse can give pills to the summoned Ashigaru to remove the slow and heal it up at the same time.

Vincent St. Clair: I would only take if I was facing a summoner. But he can create pyre markers to use to for excess fat. You'll typically have the cards for rapid fire

Archie: Numbskull will protect him from all the poison and he can hurl the corpse curator at a target near the end of the turn. He does compete with McM2 for moderate masks however.

Bete Noire: A canine remains can be used to run a corpse into position. She can then charge out of it and run schemes. McM2 provides her with a near limitless supply of corpses for free charges.

Dead Rider: All the normal good rider stuff. But with Horrendous Corpse and RRR, The Dead Hate the Living suddenly becomes really strong, especially with all the poison those zombies put out.

Grave Golem: With the ease of making corpses, he's practically immortal. Canine Remains can run a corpse into the enemy backline for him to exit out of. He can also hurl the curator into someone and just works incredibly well in the crew. I'm considering using the autopsy and another model to kill him before he activates turn 2 so he can deepstrike into the enemy's face.

Bone Pile: You guessed it. Canine Remains can move these guys around to runs schemes. They also can heal a lot more with all the extra corpses. Numbskull protects them from poison.

Gravedigger: Give these guys Killer Instinct and they really motor, This also allows them to reclaim some SS with Loot. A canine remains can be used to dangle an attractive arm to pull them up the field faster if you need it. They also start off the whole corpse engine quite well

Mindless Zombie: I'll sometimes take one just to kill on the first turn. Zombie Chihuahua bites them twice to give two poison, then odors for a thirds. Some other model hits them and they explode into two corpses. Other than that, summoning them incidentally is nice and their bite can pass out poison. If you have activation control, you can give them a big attack and the stat will increase with more nearby zombies.

Shieldbearer: If you're worried about McM2's safety, these have you covered. They can blasphemous ritual easily and refund the corpse. Take the hit will keep McM2 up and they can shield slam your models to move them up the board. They'll heal up themselves with Perverse Metabolism. Additionally, if you have this model finish off the MZ, you'll get a pyre out of it that you can turn into fat.

Gwisin: The other bodyguard option. These are slightly cheaper and can pass out threaten. Shieldbearers are probably better though.

Manos: No particular synergy with McM2 but his toolbox is still great.

Sloth: Also no synergy but is always worth considering

Carrion Emissary: You have a lot of undead to speed up with The Flesh Crawls. Additionally Exhumation is great on McM2. Always declare the trigger as you drop 2 coffins then immediately remove one (allowing you to draw a card). then you get a MZ and a coffin which can be rolled into fat. He passes out poison with both his attacks.

Crooligan: Surgery a good attack onto it, then BYS next to the Rogue Necromancy and let loose. Forage an enemy scheme marker for two cards

When list-building, make sure that you have a good way to start off his marker engine. If points are tight just grab a mindless zombie. However, don't focus solely on the engine or you'll spend a long time hanging out just outside of your deployment zone. McM2 really lets a lot of models shine and not all of them are in his keyword.

Let me know any tricks I haven't picked up on yet. He's a blast to play and I'm excited to get some more games in with him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Deathinabox said:

Shieldbearer: If you're worried about McM2's safety, these have you covered. They can blasphemous ritual easily and refund the corpse. Take the hit will keep McM2 up and they can shield slam your models to move them up the board. [b]They'll heal up themselves with Perverse Metabolism.[/b] Additionally, if you have this model finish off the MZ, you'll get a pyre out of it that you can turn into fat.

Just to clarify, it's the Bashed model that heals up, right? Took me a moment to wonder how you got Metabolism on the Shieldbearer. :)

1 hour ago, Morgan Vening said:

Just to clarify, it's the Bashed model that heals up, right? Took me a moment to wonder how you got Metabolism on the Shieldbearer. :)

Yup, you bash an Experimental friend to give them a push (hopefully with trigger) and then that model heals from Perverse Metabolism.

23 hours ago, Deathinabox said:

Rogue Necromancy: He has a great bite to pass onto others, he handle's his own poison so you don't need to worry as much about him. And generally is able to tank/beat as needed

Suggested Upgrades: Arms: Gaining flurry is great for him as he gains 2 poison when he discards and he has an excellent attack.

Man is the RN so much better under MCM2. Flurry feels like it should have been built in as it works so well with his Fading. The +1 Df doesn't hurt either. And if you give it 2+ upgrades it can become a real beast that is hard to put down. Dropping an upgrade to block 2 damage and then healing with Blood Poisoning or just Perverse at the end of the turn actually lets it stay alive to do it's thing. And I'm not afraid to drop all it's upgrades if I have to to block damage. MCM2 can always add them back as long it stays alive. 

Using it's attack with a Nurse though is really nasty, as she can get the suit built in. I anticipate that might be nerfed sometime in the future. I also think the trick with the Dogs might be fixed too if it's found to be too big a loophole. 

Flesh Constructs: I don't hire these, but I'll always summon at least one. You can give them a big attack and let them swing three times using reckless. Primarily they gunk things up and take a lot of attacks to chew through.

Suggested Upgrades: Legs: Slap an extra pair of legs on these guys and send them off to run schemes if needed

Oh, I like hiring one myself. They are just good all around models imo. Great schemers and decent mini-beaters when needed. But I don't like to focus too much on forcing MCM2 to get the summons off right away. Give them Extra Legs and let them run wherever - they are harder to take down than most scheme runners and can threaten quite a bit. Give them Metallic Arms and Plastic Surgery the RN Savage Bite and you've got 4 (maybe more) Ruthless attacks. Of course you can do this with summoned ones too - that's just a preference. Maybe I'm too worried I won't get more than one summoned out once the pressure is on MCM2. I just like the extra flexibility the 3AP they bring offers. And I have horrible luck with my Kentauroi....

Rusty Tools: Charging is how McM2 gets around. Charge an experimental, hit it with the tools, chop off a corpse or scrap and give out poison +2 is a very efficient action.

Yup! He should never walk if you can Charge a friendly instead. Much more efficient overall. It does take some planning to keep someone near enough for him to charge into, but not too much.

Sebastian: Summons canine remains, (much easier to do when you can just recycle the corpse) Has a great melee attack (give it to a nurse and build in the ram for a stat 7 3/4/6 attack with the potential for +1 damage. He also provides another use of blood poisoning

Suggested Upgrades: Fat: Makes the dog summons easier

I really like Sebastian with him, but I can see not taking him. I like that I can Plastic Surgery his Vials attack if I really need to get some extra poison out during the first turn set up phase. Making dogs is a nice bonus. His Stat 7 attack isn't something to sneeze at either. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Great writeup!

I've played a tiny bit of McMourning 2.

My impressions is that there is a delicate balance to the unpack. Stacking poison, summoning, and attaching upgrades are all great, but you can only spend so much of the game spinning your wheels doing nothing. So the tricky part for me has to be to identify what to do when.

As for plastic surgery, the best thing for me so far has been midgame to just have McMourning copy the rogue necro attack. He can even stone for pouncing strike if need be. He is just so lethal compared to many options, and that move 6 really helps.

Then late game, he is in position to do some work with don't mind me.

Also fun to kill a bunch of models and then he is standing on their corpses so can make a flesh construct in the middle of the fray.

So I find him to be far better at killing than McM1, although McM1 is tankier/heals up.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1