Rebalanced Serena Sauce

Roadhouse

1 hour ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

I'm curious as to how many people have played her with the new rules. I find her pretty wild still.

Ran her tonight in Euri. She did what she always does, keep my models alive while doing a little extra work.

I've honestly noticed almost no difference except that I'm more likely to commit her to melee.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2021 at 2:37 AM, Roadhouse said:

She was better than very good. She was imbalanced. Def 6, can't be charged, 12wd model, that could potentially heal a single target 6 with a bonus action, had a Stat 6 2" 2/4/6, and a FF Arm ignoring gun with one of the strongest disruptive triggers in the game, Hole in the World. For 8ss.

She lost a Def, 2wds, and has to target a different thing with her bonus trigger but now her attack stays stat 6 and can heal. Her healing potential actually went up and she still has a ridiculous gun.

The nigh invulnerability and ease of her single target healing got nerfed *becuase they needed to be*

The damage of her melee was nerfed while its utility was buffed.

The fact that some players are saying her changes spell the end of Neverborn are indicative of their over reliance on her *becuase she was too good*

I've played her in GG2, she is still very strong.

Lol, I've never seen someone so excited (in the good sense) for nerf haha. Well, I guess it's better than the other alternative.

I still think you had your pink glases on. She was played all the time more for the good defenses she had (for this faction) and that she gave a support not other model offered; but those good defenses had holes (things that don't need to charge, jumpers, hand attack/trigger denial) and Eternal still needs a card, something not trivial with a lot of masters in this faction (12 Wds isn't accurate). And that's the botched part of the new profile imo; now models that can get around her defenses make her too risky to pick versus some factions/masters. And her utility was also lowered, but I adressed that in the other post.

After playing against her, I think she is now on the right spot. Still difficult to kill, versatile and a threat from the backline, but not the powerhouse she was.

When I noticed the changes the most, were:

1) When Chompi was beating my crew, she was not able to hit me too from the safety of the backline, due to the reduced range of the attack skill. (Here I think better planification and riskier positionings are demanded now to make it work as pre-nerf).

2) When I killed her with a Katashiro. This play was mimicked from previous games where the Katashiro did nothing to Serena due to her Df 6 stat. But now, the Katashiro had even attack stat of 5 and managed to kill her because my opponent had no cards in hand and the Wd stat is lower now.

She is not an auto include anymore. But anyway, when NB players get a good grasp on the new mechanics, which I think raise her support capabilities, I think she will be played in quite a few games.

If anything, I'd lowered the Wd just 1 point instead of 2. And maybe raised the range of the heal to 4''.

Edited by Vessien
Had something to add
  • Agree 1

On 5/9/2021 at 11:20 AM, Ogid said:

Lol, I've never seen someone so excited (in the good sense) for nerf haha. Well, I guess it's better than the other alternative.

I was 100% ready for Nightmare to get nerfed. It, imo, is one of the most appealing crews in terms of aesthetics, theme, and mechanics. I enjoyed playing it, but hated dumping NPEs on my opponent to do it.

I'd rather play a strong, but fair, keyword than one that is absurdly over the top.

PS, if Dreamer has competition for #1 NVB it would be Z with hired WW becuase he can't summon Stitched anymore.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 4/28/2021 at 4:38 PM, 74legion said:

She just needed to raise the hiring price by 1 or 2 that would be fairer and more correct

Nope. If she was 10 stones, her playability would be way down. Serena as or more costly as CANDY OOK?  There would be the new problem.

The through nightmares attack is quite good for Vendetta, and the demise gives her a chance to survive through T5. Example: send Teddy/Chompy/Carver/Copellious go into a big beater, Serena does one attck through them, and heals them up, all from a safe distance.

I would have preffered just one wound less, but she still sees good play even if her only "defensive" tech is now her demise.

3 hours ago, Mac_Atk said:

I would have preffered just one wound less, but she still sees good play even if her only "defensive" tech is now her demise.

Well she still has disguise and feed on fear...

Actually I don't mind her being 6 wd... Def 5 hurts though.

• 3 weeks later...

So I've used Serena a bunch since the nerf and I've found 2 things to be true

1. She still regularly heals the same model twice in an activation

2. Pulled Here and There is an amazing trigger that has allowed the scoring of points I wouldn't have otherwise scored

• Like 5