Back in the Swamp for Love (is a battlefield)

SEV

Hi fellow green hillbillies.

For the February vassal tournament (here) I'm committed to the swamp folks. This tournament have a special rules no more than 15SS of non-keywords models. I think that favor Bayou over some other faction that relies alot on versatile.

Ulix seem amazing in this format. But I just began to play him. 

I also think that Zipp can be good in round 1 and 2 (not sure for r3 with so many buildings, but blocking doors with pianos can be cool).

Tricksy can also be play mostly in keyword (with an Emissary for Leyline).

Any advise / though on that tournament setup are welcome.

2 minutes ago, Jesy Blue said:

Infamous flying around buildings is easy, why would you think they are a problem?

Because you have to walk in there (so your models are loosing the flying advantage). And because it's Symbols, I'll will have to go in alot. Zipp crew usually don't like to be confined in tight space from where they can't escape easily.

But maybe I can turn it my way with good piano placement (as long as I don't play against a faction with alot of incorporeal).

Honestly in scenario 3, you know what you should spend you ook points on: 2 Bushwackers.

If he puts two markers in buildings, then they're gonna be hard for him to protect too. Put the Bushwackers next to the ones in the building with the markers and then block the entrances with pit traps.  With that, stealth and cover, there's no way you're not getting any building marker points.

6 minutes ago, Jesy Blue said:

Honestly in scenario 3, you know what you should spend you ook points on: 2 Bushwackers.

If he puts two markers in buildings, then they're gonna be hard for him to protect too. Put the Bushwackers next to the ones in the building with the markers and then block the entrances with pit traps.  With that, stealth and cover, there's no way you're not getting any building marker points.

True. I actually want to play an heavy trap Tricksy list for this one.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Question avoir R2 : the scheme pool puzzles me for bayou... this is  center driven scheme pool but you also need mobility for Leyline.

For reference: Leyline / corner

Runic bidding 

Let them bleed 

Leave your mark

Catch and release

Claim jump

I have a hard time not taking the emissary in Leyline... So my versatile points are pretty much gone. Maybe I should go with Mama Z and try to embrace the center control game? 

Thought? 

Here's my double edged sword: if both Claim Jump & Leave Your Mark are in to pool, I take Infamous, because they eat scheme markers as an afterthought.... so that means most likely they are not taking these schemes.

Green Lives Matter (Bayou)
Size: 50 - Pool: 4
Leader:
  Captain Zipp
    Twelve Cups of Coffee
Totem(s):
  Earl Burns
Hires:
  Mancha Roja
  The First Mate
  Flying Piglet
  Flying Piglet 2
  Flying Piglet 3
  Iron Skeeter
  Iron Skeeter 2
    Two Gremlins in a Ghillie Suit

1 hour ago, Jesy Blue said:

Leader:
  Captain Zipp
    Twelve Cups of Coffee
Totem(s):
  Earl Burns
Hires:
  Mancha Roja
  The First Mate
  Flying Piglet
  Flying Piglet 2
  Flying Piglet 3
  Iron Skeeter
  Iron Skeeter 2

Who's going to carry the Lodestone there? Also, with that list you'll have 2 possible schemes: LyM, C&R and another 2 that can be hard but doable: Runic Binding and Claim Jump.

I don't do a football strategy with this.... folks move to places then I throw the stone to them already in position.  Zipp and Piglets crowd the center with pianos for both Leave Your Mark & Claim Jump.

Cool. This completely different than the way I play Zipp in to leyline. I'll try it, but at first glance it seems really risky. You need several model to achieve leyline and it's easy for your opponent to gain activation control by killing those flying pigs... Also, Zipp is good, but I think it's going to be hard for him to control the center alone (beside dying for a sheme for LYM, I don't se how the flying pigs will help here).

@Jesy Blue: Well those are my reserved, but as I said, I'll try your list (or even better If you want to play it against me on vassal). Thank for taking the time to post... Comparing the bayou to other factions forum, there's not a lot of folk participating in to strategy discussions (I guess most of us are to busy drinking booze 😉). 

It's very risky! I like playing that way. 

...and the piglets are supposed to die, then they drop scheme markers where they stand (on the center, preferably), that's how you get quick points.

But I like playing the game on the razor's edge; but I'm aware it might not be everyone's cup of tea.

On 2/2/2021 at 1:45 PM, Jesy Blue said:

Leader:
  Captain Zipp
    Twelve Cups of Coffee
Totem(s):
  Earl Burns
Hires:
  Mancha Roja
  The First Mate
  Flying Piglet
  Flying Piglet 2
  Flying Piglet 3
  Iron Skeeter
  Iron Skeeter 2

Why not The Sow? She can produce a piglet, or more with help, a turn.  

8 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Why not The Sow? She can produce a piglet, or more with help, a turn.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't understand why you would want Piglets in such a scheme pool. Let's agree that Runic Binding is not a real scheme... Piglet can help for LYM and that's it. Should we invest 8+1 ss OOk fo this (especially in this tournament setting where you can't have more than 15ss of ook/versatile models)?

IMO Merris is one of the best models to score LYM. Skeeters are fine at C&R. Let them bleed is always an option (especially if Macha is in the crew), but where not super good at it. Same with claim jump (Mancha is ok there bu not spectacular). 

So my core crew for scheming would be

Skeeter + Mancha + Merris (23ss)...

I still need a way to carry or pass the ball. Either the x3 flying piglets suggest by Jesy or my default Emissary (+9/10 ss). A Rooster Rider could do it for 8ss... but it's really fragile. Any other idea?

That leave is with around 12 ss to adapt to our opponent. I usually go with 12 cups on Zip and either an other Skeeter + upgrade or The First Mate. The problem if I use the Emissary is that I don't have a lot of room to go OOK. 

• 3 weeks later...

After winning a close game (5-4) with Rocinante  vs Seamus in R2 (thank for some real bad luck from Seamus pilot @Reservoir Dog), I'm paired against those pesky undead again.

I'm playing against those pesky undead again in R3 (this time my opponent is @Maniacal_cackle).

I selected Mah and he selected Molly (shocking know 😉). I couldn't go with my heavy trap list because Molly is really good at dealing with my pit trap. Also BBB is not the best against her. With only 15ss of ook/versatile, I had some tough choices to make. I chose a versatile approach. 

Robots & FriendsFEB R3 (Bayou)
  Mah Tucket
    Inferiority Complex
  The Little Lass
  Sparks LeBlanc
  Mechanized Porkchop
  Soulstone Miner
  Bushwhacker
  Trixiebelle
  Gracie

This list is great at playing the symbol game can score well enough all the scheme in this scheme pool (Vendetta, Assassinate, LyM, Research, Martyr) and have a couple of well armored models that should be annoying to deal with for his beater (except for irreduciblefrom Molly herself).

He went with :

Molly 

Necro Machine

Death Rider

Archie

Rogue Necro

Phil and the Nany

X2 Crooligan

4SS

He's the attacker (so I'll deploy from the shadow last). Plenty of scary beater in this crew. I guess I'll focus on avoiding them or neutralizing them if I can...

It'll be my first time playing against Molly, so any advice would be nice. Maniacal_cackle and I agreed to stay away from our respective faction forum until the game is played, so feel free to tell your secret tech 😁

My point of view : dealing with Crooligan and Phil early will force him to use one of his expensive mobile beater (either Archie or Rider) to go for Symbols. I didn't give him good vendetta target. LyM and Research will be hard for him, so I put him on assassinate and Martyr (probably Crooligan and Archie, but he can surprise me and go with Necro Machine and Rogue Necro). I think it's better to concede 1 point here and killing the Crooligan. Mah is my main beater so It might be hard to bot concede an other point of assassinate (but it's fine if I'm trading or remove a high impact target). 

thank for your help!