Cover and shadow: consealment

Sanik

Question

Hi guys... I have been out of malifaux since the end of 2nd edition and now I am trying to come back. I have been reading the rule book but I am a bit confused

so shadow is a new thing, and I’m wondering if I got this right - all blocking terrain generate “shadow” up to 3 inches and anyone who “touches” this shadow gets cover? Did I understand this correctly? So basically shadow extend the cover from 1 inche in 2ed to the actual height or the terrian?

for consealment, if a los is drawn thought a sealing terrain, then the attack gets minus flip? To example, if we have a snow bank, which the players agree to be a consealment terrian, and my lynch shoots his derringer from 5 inches away from the snow back to niccodem, who is at the opposite side of the bank, 5 inches away, even though no one is in the shadow, and no one is touching the bank (like 2ed) lynch still gets minus flip?

thank you!

6 answers to this question

23 minutes ago, Sanik said:

Hi guys... I have been out of malifaux since the end of 2nd edition and now I am trying to come back. I have been reading the rule book but I am a bit confused

so shadow is a new thing, and I’m wondering if I got this right - all blocking terrain generate “shadow” up to 3 inches and anyone who “touches” this shadow gets cover? Did I understand this correctly? So basically shadow extend the cover from 1 inche in 2ed to the actual height or the terrian?

for consealment, if a los is drawn thought a sealing terrain, then the attack gets minus flip? To example, if we have a snow bank, which the players agree to be a consealment terrian, and my lynch shoots his derringer from 5 inches away from the snow back to niccodem, who is at the opposite side of the bank, 5 inches away, even though no one is in the shadow, and no one is touching the bank (like 2ed) lynch still gets minus flip?

thank you!

Looks like you have a fairly good grasp of it! It reads a bit more complicated than it actually is lol. Just remember that only BLOCKING terrain creates a Shadow. So in the case of your snow bank, there is no Shadow created. So yep, if Rasputina, who is 10" away, shoots Lynch through a Ht 0 snow bank and Lynch is 10" away from the snow bank, he still gets Concealment.

Furthermore, Shadow only grants Cover if the Attacker's LoS is draw through the Terrain. So its not simply "just stand in Shadow to get Cover" but "Be behind a wall and near it to get Cover"

26 minutes ago, Sanik said:

Why are calling a snow bank concealing terrain?

’concealing’ means essentially ‘you can more or less see through this terrain’, like smoke or tree branches with gaps.  It’s not a direct replacement for M2E ‘soft cover’.  (M3E doesn’t really have hard cover and soft cover.)  

I’ve never seen a snow bank that I’d want to call concealing, so your scenario is a bit confusing.