Ressers community pool: Number 1!

3 hours ago, Shakyor said:

Super cool! Glad you i did so well. 

Sounds like you played it really well. The only thing I wonder - how did Vincent do? Againt Kaeris he seems like a weak link to me. 

Interesting that you say that. I have never ever lost with Reva against Kaeris and honestly the matchup feels one sided to me from the Reva perspective. I just can use his burning more efficiently than he can in most of my games. Also Revas Bonus Action suddenly is super duper great. 

Although I agree that this is too little Soulstones and Vincent seems like an odd choice against Kaeris. 

Yeah I also told him that the Judge would have been great. His reponse was that he is too immobile and not tanky enough for his cost. Which I kind off agree with, as Lady J really has few movement tricks. The Pale Rider can move both him and her. 

My list - I think - underwent quite a bit of tinkering and it is not quite obvious how it plays. So corpse Markers come from the emissary, and Molly finds the cards for toshiro and forgotten Marshal, whereas I try to time everything so the Nurse can use tools for the job to cycle the summon cards if I need too. I also disagree about Archie being bad versus Marshal. Nothing except for Lady J can take him if I play him as a flanker - and she cant be everywhere. I also need to play him as a flanker, since I can have him around to be obeyed. 

Your Comment about the pale Rider is spot on - he felt really awkawrd and could really do much. Also the shooting was not nearly as bad as I anticipated for the reasons you stated. The Range is kind of mediocre, they are quite vulnerable when they go into shooting position and it is very action intensive for them to get into position.

The issue in Reva vs Kaeris is getting around the Reva's shielded (Envy is great for that and Iggy gets the job done), and long range support. It's supereasy to one shot the Draugr in many ways, and after that, Reva is the only one that can use burning, and she's a squishy target with Sz3. If she gets any burning from a Pyre, she's taking injury, so 3 attacks from Kaeris and Reva is dead. The real problem is that Reva can take advantage of all the burning spread in the Wildfires, so Kaeris shouldn't be playing the Burning game, and instead the "I'll smash your face" game.

Regarding the LJ vs Molly, The Judge is always a must to bring. Getting around HtW and HTK with a 2/4/5 as a free action + Staggered is just too good not to bring it. He (she now) can kill a Rogue Necromancy in one activation from 12" away. He's not the fastest, but having the Rider (which I not encourage to bring) helps, or his trigger with :mask. Domadores don't make sense if he already have an Obey. Archie should be an easy target for the Lone Marshall. With Ruthless and Stat 7 vs Df4, means that Archie is going to get hit with low :ram while the Lone Marshal is safe (14" vs Archie thread range of 11").  A core of Judge, DMR (free pushes and if he doesn't die before the other 3, it's 3 Death Marshall with permafast), Jury and the Guild Steward as a shooting platform, while LJ goes in scalpel mode, better in one flank while the Lone Marshal takes the other one, would have cause a lot of trouble there. 

I've played Exorcists many times, but they need to be too close to the action and they die quite easy while their damage track is quite unimpressive and you have better models where to spend the :ram. Although, in the same list, if LJ is going to stay out of big trouble can go without the LLC and remove the DMR to bring more shoots in the shape of a DM and an Exorcist.

17 hours ago, ShinChan said:

The issue in Reva vs Kaeris is getting around the Reva's shielded (Envy is great for that and Iggy gets the job done), and long range support. It's supereasy to one shot the Draugr in many ways, and after that, Reva is the only one that can use burning, and she's a squishy target with Sz3. If she gets any burning from a Pyre, she's taking injury, so 3 attacks from Kaeris and Reva is dead. The real problem is that Reva can take advantage of all the burning spread in the Wildfires, so Kaeris shouldn't be playing the Burning game, and instead the "I'll smash your face" game.

Regarding the LJ vs Molly, The Judge is always a must to bring. Getting around HtW and HTK with a 2/4/5 as a free action + Staggered is just too good not to bring it. He (she now) can kill a Rogue Necromancy in one activation from 12" away. He's not the fastest, but having the Rider (which I not encourage to bring) helps, or his trigger with :mask. Domadores don't make sense if he already have an Obey. Archie should be an easy target for the Lone Marshall. With Ruthless and Stat 7 vs Df4, means that Archie is going to get hit with low :ram while the Lone Marshal is safe (14" vs Archie thread range of 11").  A core of Judge, DMR (free pushes and if he doesn't die before the other 3, it's 3 Death Marshall with permafast), Jury and the Guild Steward as a shooting platform, while LJ goes in scalpel mode, better in one flank while the Lone Marshal takes the other one, would have cause a lot of trouble there. 

I've played Exorcists many times, but they need to be too close to the action and they die quite easy while their damage track is quite unimpressive and you have better models where to spend the :ram. Although, in the same list, if LJ is going to stay out of big trouble can go without the LLC and remove the DMR to bring more shoots in the shape of a DM and an Exorcist.

So regarding your Reva comment, I kind of agree, but based mine on a different premise. I dont really take many Key Word Models with Reva. And Reva + Versatiles + some very few Keyword models is very tough for Kaeris to deal with in my opponent. You only read Reva to invalidate alot of what Kaeris wants to do and Ressers have one of the best versatile crews in the game in my opinion. 

Regarding Molly. I agree that the Judge would have been good, but I see my oponents point that it is hard to make him work. I also agree that the Marshal is very strong, I dont agree that he just wins against Archie though. I still think that it is very hard to point efficiently deal with Archie, especially for Marshal actually. A lot of what you say - of course - is theory crafting though and often assumes flawless mobility/placement and terrain oppertunities. This is were a lot of games are won and lost, especially for the type of crew my opponent brought.  In general I agree with your assesment though. 

@Maniacal_cackle When is your game my man? And when are we starting the next pool? :)

@Shakyor there were an odd number of Malifaux players at the club for tomorrow night, so I'm the odd one out this week!

So doing a game of a different pool on Vassal on Friday. Happy to start the next pool as soon as people are ready. Once a week at the moment feels about right, and then people can skip them.

Any objections to me posting the next pool tomorrow?

19 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

@Shakyor there were an odd number of Malifaux players at the club for tomorrow night, so I'm the odd one out this week!

So doing a game of a different pool on Vassal on Friday. Happy to start the next pool as soon as people are ready. Once a week at the moment feels about right, and then people can skip them.

Any objections to me posting the next pool tomorrow?

Sounds great!

What do you think about kirai in ley lines?

I will play a similar pool this week and was thinking about the mobility from guided spirit of datsue ba and seishins and add the assassinate pressure with her totem. With jakuuna there is access to a great lure off the markers... Only problem I have is that I don't know how to get scheme markers for breakthrough (or in my case sabotage and/or runic binding) down...

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, unti said:

I will play a similar pool this week and was thinking about the mobility from guided spirit of datsue ba and seishins and add the assassinate pressure with her totem. With jakuuna there is access to a great lure off the markers... Only problem I have is that I don't know how to get scheme markers for breakthrough (or in my case sabotage and/or runic binding) down...

I actually really like Kirai in that pool now that I think about this. 

Kirai is actually fine on movement and bad on schememarkers. So sure go for it!

Being the Henchman in @Maniacal_cackle's meta and ambivalent Neverborn/Resurrectionists player, I'm taking Von Schtook into this pool tonight against Guild (unsure what master my opponent will bring). My list looks like this:

Von Schtook with The Whisper, 5 stones
Research Assistant
The Valedictorian with Grave Spirit's Touch
Carrion Emissary
Student of Viscera with Killer Instinct
Undergraduate
Necropunk

I'm considering dropping the Grave Spirit's Touch from Valedictorian for the extra stones. A smart opponent will also make sure to bring her down before she has a chance to benefit from the regeneration.

The idea is to load up Valedictorian with fast early and have her as a deterrent and then go hard on one flank with the Student of Viscera (with the lodestone), Valedictorian, Necropunk and potentially By your side the Undergraduate in if he goes for the flankers. Meanwhile the rest goes to fortify the center. If he goes for the center, the flankers minus Necropunk swing back toward the center.

I'll probably go for Breakthrough with the Necropunk and Take Prisoner using what I call the "Take Prisoner triggers" on Valedictorian or Undergraduate. (Push target then push the attacker.)

Kirai would have been my second choice. Seishin can make the crew super mobile (with a bit of luck) and Jakuuna would be an amazing anchor for holding the center.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, unti said:

I think she is probably a good call! Early on she can claim her side of the board, and by end game should be able to flood the board.

Lure on Jaakuna seems like a great bonus.

15 hours ago, emiba said:

Being the Henchman in @Maniacal_cackle's meta and ambivalent Neverborn/Resurrectionists player, I'm taking Von Schtook into this pool tonight against Guild (unsure what master my opponent will bring). My list looks like this:

Von Schtook with The Whisper, 5 stones
Research Assistant
The Valedictorian with Grave Spirit's Touch
Carrion Emissary
Student of Viscera with Killer Instinct
Undergraduate
Necropunk

I'm considering dropping the Grave Spirit's Touch from Valedictorian for the extra stones. A smart opponent will also make sure to bring her down before she has a chance to benefit from the regeneration.

The idea is to load up Valedictorian with fast early and have her as a deterrent and then go hard on one flank with the Student of Viscera (with the lodestone), Valedictorian, Necropunk and potentially By your side the Undergraduate in if he goes for the flankers. Meanwhile the rest goes to fortify the center. If he goes for the center, the flankers minus Necropunk swing back toward the center.

I'll probably go for Breakthrough with the Necropunk and Take Prisoner using what I call the "Take Prisoner triggers" on Valedictorian or Undergraduate. (Push target then push the attacker.)

Kirai would have been my second choice. Seishin can make the crew super mobile (with a bit of luck) and Jakuuna would be an amazing anchor for holding the center.

I like the list and look forward to hearing how it works.  

Battle report: Von Schtook vs Lucius (Guild)

My list:

• Von Schtook w The Whisper, 5 ss
  • Research Assistant
  • Valedictorian w Grave Spirit's Touch
  • Carrion Emissary
  • Student of Viscera w Killer Instinct (lodestone)
  • Undergraduate
  • Necropunk

Opponents master (or list if you have their whole list)

• Lucius, 1 ss
  • The Scribe
  • Agent 46 w Lead Lined Coat
  • Alan Reid
  • Doppelganger
  • Guild Lawyer
  • Pathfinder
  • False Witness (lodestone)
  • Changeling

Outcome and schemes I took: We called it 6-5 to me at the end of turn 3. I think I could potentially have scored a seventh point and there was a lot of assuming every flip went his way for my opponents 5th point, but it's a friendly game, it's a win and we called it with 2 turns to go so I can't say for certain. My opponent took Breakthrough and Hidden Martyrs on Agent 46 and the Changeling. By fluke I killed them both in the same activation (and turned Agent 46 into a Student of Viscera).

I had considered Leave Your Mark but with Lucius being able to discard to make my scheme marker his own, I just didn't feel comfortable with it so I went for Breakthrough and Take Prisoner on the False Witness. The Necropunk scored both breakthrough points by himself.

Summary of how it went: It went pretty much according to plan. Turn 1 Von Schtook gave most everyone focus, put the Academic Zeal upgrade on the Valedictorian and made the Valedictorian and the Student of Viscera fast. The Valedictorian, Student of Viscera and Necropunk went up my left flank with the Valedictorian getting a potshot off on Alan Reid guarding the top left Ley Line marker and the Student of Viscera just missing out due to not having a charge lane. The Undergraduate dropped in with By Your Side and punked him with a surprise severe on a negative flip leaving Alan on 1 wound. Alan staggered the Valedictorian and tried to strangle her in return but only managed one hit for 2 after armor. Agent 46 went after the Student of Viscera and brought him down to half wounds. The Scribe pulled Alan Reid out of the meat grinder. The Carrion Emissary, the Research Assistant moved up toward the center.

Turn 2 the Student ran for the hills (or at least my left hand home Ley Line marker), the Valedictorian shoved Agent 46 aside to get to Alan but by that time I didn't have focus left and forgot that Alan could discard to give a negative to the attack so in the end it took the Carrion Emissary blasting off the Scribe (who faded away) to do away with Alan Reid. The Necropunk leapt into the top left corner and dropped a scheme marker for breakthrough. The Scribe reappeared to give focus to Agent 46, the Doppelganger and something else, then the Undergraduate by your sided to the Valedictorian and punked the Scribe for a severe on a negative. I made him drop a scheme marker I didn't need from VS's ability, to see if I could get my opponent to ditch a card to make it his own with Lucius and he did. The False Witness claimed the center Ley Line marker and a trap engaged the Carrion Emissary to keep him on the wrong side of the forest. The Doppelganger mimiced the Pathfinder's gun and managed a moderate on a double negative on an Analyze Weakness-ed Student of Viscera to bring him to a single wound. (Von Schtook had healed him for one earlier, phew...)

Turn 3 I started by getting the Student of Viscera in position behind a forest to Deadly Pursuit onto my home right Ley Line marker and after my opponent let slip that he figured he could still get to it with his pathfinder I moved the Carrion Emissary (as the closest model) into base contact with the center marker as an insurance policy. Unfortunately I failed to account for the Doppleganger copying Obey from the Laywer and kindly request he get away from the marker. (Awesome use of focus and good flipping by my opponent.) As predicted the Pathfinder also shot the Student of Viscera to bits after the Lawyer obeyed him to move into position. Valedictorian concentrated and attacked Agent 46, I cheated in a mask for Shove Aside and took a second attack on the Changeling, and managed to one-shot it before flurrying and stomping Agent 46, replacing him with a new Student of Viscera. The Necropunk dropped a scheme marker, leapt and dropped another scheme marker.

I don't remember exactly what my opponent did with Lucius and the Lawyer but they did what they are supposed to do, relayed their actions where needed and it was quite effective and annoying, without it the Student of Viscera would have been safe behind the forest and able to claim the bottom right marker on turn 3 which would have given me a whole lot more opportunity to deny his Breakthrough and score my own last strategy point.

At this point we called it and confirmed points were 3-2 (2 strategy + 1 Breakthrough vs 2 Strategy). I had my entire crew left (except not the original Student of Viscera) although the Research Assistant was at 1 wound. He had Lucius, Doppelganger, a Lawyer, a Pathfinder and a False Witness. My guess would have been that I could have finished Breakthrough with the Necropunk and handed over the lodestone to someone to claim the center marker while sending my full contingent of flankers after the Pathfinder and False Witness, with Von Schtook in position to make them fast before doing so. I also still had 2 soul stones to ensure a Shove Aside trigger on the Valedictorian for Take Prisoner.

Things I would do differently: I like how the crew played. I didn't flurry a lot with Valedictorian because of Lucius' hand punishing shenanigans, Execute triggers and ability to discard to give me negative. Discarding a card to take an attack on negative isn't worth it. So for things to do differently I'd say try to remember the Obeys and discard to give negatives to attack. Otherwise it worked pretty much as I envisioned/wanted it to.

• Like 2

It probably helped that I'd played Lucius myself the week before. And Lucius has ways to replenish his hand while I had terrible luck matching suits to draw cards so I felt like I'd be trading down. It didn't feel right to discard a card when I could be prevented from cheating and I didn't even have all that good of a hand to cheat with even if he didn't discard for the negative.

As for the flanking I was essentially on the inside of the marker with 2 50mm bases, so I didn't even feel too far from the center. All the while bodyblocking access to the Necropunk.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

It only just dawned on me in the past week, after seeing how well Ronins can operate in Ley Lines, that Ressurs has a similar trick. Anna can kill an undead model within 18" with a free action, throwing the lodestone to the nearest model. In a Von Schtook crew you can throw the lodestone on a Necropunk or Undergraduate who can benefit from fast given out by The Professor or by Sloth and gain extra movement from the Research Assistant (and Emissary if necessary) to secure the first 2-3 markers. When you need to do so Anna can snipe him from far away and send the stone where you need it. Could be a nice trick. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Trample said:

It only just dawned on me in the past week, after seeing how well Ronins can operate in Ley Lines, that Ressurs has a similar trick. Anna can kill an undead model within 18" with a free action, throwing the lodestone to the nearest model. In a Von Schtook crew you can throw the lodestone on a Necropunk or Undergraduate who can benefit from fast given out by The Professor or by Sloth and gain extra movement from the Research Assistant (and Emissary if necessary) to secure the first 2-3 markers. When you need to do so Anna can snipe him from far away and send the stone where you need it. Could be a nice trick. 

Can also do this with self-burying of models :) Very helpful for bone piles wanting to pass the stone!

• Like 2