Molly & Malifaux Beginners Advice Required

Robbo

4 minutes ago, LeperColony said:

Do you still take 2 Crooligans in Reckoning/Turf War or a non-scheme heavy pool?

Also, what about Forgotten Marshal?

Initially I thought Turf war is still interact heavy, so I still find them quite useful (although I'm leaning more and more towards only one crooligan that I am careful with... Depends on what is in my list and if I have a spare four stones). I'm starting to find turf war is more about killing than interacting, in which case yes, skimp on the crooligans. One is probably the right number for scheme-light turf war (noting they can do things like hold up their forces really well).

Forgotten Marshal gets mixed reviews. I suspect it is pretty good, but also most people take it with the Whisper... At that point I'd rather take Toshiro.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Initially I thought Turf war is still interact heavy, so I still find them quite useful (although I'm leaning more and more towards only one crooligan that I am careful with... Depends on what is in my list and if I have a spare four stones). I'm starting to find turf war is more about killing than interacting, in which case yes, skimp on the crooligans. One is probably the right number for scheme-light turf war (noting they can do things like hold up their forces really well).

Forgotten Marshal gets mixed reviews. I suspect it is pretty good, but also most people take it with the Whisper... At that point I'd rather take Toshiro.

Toshiro need corpses to summon. Marshall can bring in keyword models who can also get reactivated.

• Agree 1

So I played my first game last night and really enjoyed it and the crew. 

I concentrated on the models abilities and synergy more than the strategies (plant explosives) and the schemes (dig graves and leyline) found that they were great fun. 

I leaped Archie off with his explosives turn one and teleported crooligans too him with their explosives and activated one of them in turn one to drop a explosive marker and ran the rider off down a flank. Moving molly Necro machine and rogue Necromancy up behind. 

Molly cleared Misaki shadow tokens and Necro machine healed up Archie and activated him turn two where he healed again and leaped off into the fray. 

We didnt get much further in the few hours we played but thanks for the advice it really helped and i enjoyed the way the crew played. They seems so tanky with the self healing although I found it hard to hold Archie back with the crew and left him a bit vulnerable at times with only Crooligan support which was soon removed prevent mollys reactivation of a minion skill. 

I wont change anything for the next game just concentrate on the synergy as I feel I’m missing the potential is some of the models and the way they work together 

thanks again for the help 

• Like 1

I like one crooligan and Marshall with whisper. Most of the time turn one will be summon second crooligan I'll even use a good crow for this. Then later can shoot and/or summon risers. Archie is destined to run off and likely eventually die. They can recover with heals. Not really that tanky. A dedicated beater can and will remove Archie. He's more of a pricey scheme runner who eats those other runners in his way.

• Agree 1

On 12/7/2019 at 12:59 AM, jimr0880 said:

So I played my first game last night and really enjoyed it and the crew. 

good deal. Molly and the Forgotten are a great flexible crew that is a lot of fun and can be competitive in about any pool. They aren't always my preferred keyword but usually it's match/opposing crews that really help decide it for me as much as the pools themselves. Elite Molly can compete pretty well against most of the hard hitting crews and just about any form of Forgotten can counter scheme with the best of them. 

On 12/7/2019 at 12:59 AM, jimr0880 said:

We didnt get much further in the few hours we played but thanks for the advice it really helped and i enjoyed the way the crew played. They seems so tanky with the self healing although I found it hard to hold Archie back with the crew and left him a bit vulnerable at times with only Crooligan support which was soon removed prevent mollys reactivation of a minion skill. 

I wont change anything for the next game just concentrate on the synergy as I feel I’m missing the potential is some of the models and the way they work together 

this is usually a good idea. Play, play, play as many of the models as many times as possible in multiple games and matches in order to really figure out the different ways you can use them and how they can adapt to each situation. When you look at the synergy and potential also be sure to look at the scoring conditions how/what actions you need to score and deny scoring as well.  Look at the timing of actions and how you can use things like the Necrotic Machine and Molly's abilities to enable discards to let you hit Fading and how you can gain control in a scheme heavy game with reactivations. 

While you may want to keep a Crooligan in the crew don't feel bound to keeping all unless they re needed for the scoring conditions.