¡A Por Él! and Bonus Actions

Armour

Question

As implied by the title, ¡A Por Él! doesn't specify non-bonus action in its text.

This seems strong, but most other action-granting actions specify non-bonus.  Is there anything which prevents using ¡A Por Él! to take a bonus action on another Family model?

7 answers to this question

Just looking through the list...

Abuela - Conditional Obey (so A Por El'ing into an Obey extends the range, but is a high TN).

Enslaved Neph - Crappy push you might as well use APE on Concentrate.

Francisco - Not sure if Finesse would stack, as it's neither a Condition nor an Aura.

Monster Hunter - Creep Along is a low TN Walk that can disengage.

Nino - Quick Retreat, Same issue as Monster Hunter.

Papa - Blow it to Hell could be good against terrain generators. Not sure Juggernaut would be worth the two, probably three cards to have it work.

Perdi - Can't APE unless they release another Family Master.

Pistolero - Reckless is pointless unless you need a Corpse Marker (ie, you're trading being an action now, for being an Action on their next turn, while taking damage to do so).

Santiago - Challenge, same as Finesse, also may not matter. Got Your Back is fairly decent for extracting people.

So, with the exception of Santi (who can only APE off two models), and possibly Frisco (who can only APE off one), it's really only Papa that could make it problematic, and even then, only as an in Keyword counter (ie, you can't just OOK him in to abuse APE) to terrain generation Masters.

So, not sure it's worth errata to APE. If Finesse and/or Challenge are problematic from a rules perspective, I'd rather have them restructured. Challenge was already iffy with the Autumn Knights, but I don't think it needs a change.

• Like 1

Copying challenge seems like the best use for it. Just make sure they can't charge out of engagement and you have an engaged target that needs to drop cards to hit back at the model engaging it. Also pretty good against a support master like Hoffman or Marcus who targets their own models with buff actions. 

6 hours ago, Morgan Vening said:

Francisco - Not sure if Finesse would stack, as it's neither a Condition nor an Aura.

6 hours ago, Morgan Vening said:

Santiago - Challenge, same as Finesse, also may not matter. Got Your Back is fairly decent for extracting people.

Wow, Finesse and Challenge could be very good to control enemy models and I don't recall a rule preventing them to stack if Challenge is used twice in the same model or Finesse is activated twice by Francisco... 

11 hours ago, diki said:

I think using Abuela to bypass a por el's low cost member restriction seems pretty useful or passing it to a non family member (albeit needing high mask card)

It's still a card and a half. One for the discard for APE, and an 8+ is a ~46% chance, meaning ~54% chance of needing to cheat in a second (significantly more likely to need to for non-Fam).

That's not taking into account the possibility you'll need to cheat or discard for the Young-Un'd model's Action too.

And given Abuela isn't exactly a Rider/Archie/Tanuki in terms of ubiquity, I'm not sure allowing this cornercase situation is an issue.