My first experience with ‘dora.

Regelridderen

Ohboyohboyohboyohboy!

She was a-MAZE-balls!

I attended a tournament and brought this for two games.

Pandora

Poltergeist

Candy

Hinamatsu

Doppelganger

Kade

Teddy

I wanted something simple and straightforward, so my idea was simply to lure out key models and then just go for the kill.

First was a game of Reckoning vs. Rasputina - who suddenly found herself in an uphill struggle by turn 3, when I noticed Telekinesis. And then the conditions started to pile up and I won 3-2, when time ran out. Quite a lot of learning, as I’d never played ‘dora, nor faced Rasputina before, but both were a hoot.

After using Dreamer to beat Dashel in a game of Turf War, I chose to get a second game of ‘dora in for Plant Explosives. I repeated the list, as I wanted to familiarize myself with it, and got my arse handed to me by the Viks. I made a few mistakes and were having a harsh time dealing with terrain.

-

I’m yet to really do great with Kade+Teddy, but I love the concept.

And I haven’t really gotten the hang of the doppelganger - she also fails me with the Dreamer.

Hinamatsu on the other hand is a beast.

And I learned to respect the potential of Stun and Misery, denying opponents access to triggers can bust up many combinations. So going forward I’ll focus more on this strength, spend Stones on Sorrows / Carver / Iggy.

’dora and Candy were both amazing. And ‘dora with Ancient Pact were a great way to deal with conditions from Raspy.

-

all in all, It’s a fun crew with tons of potential. And really different from playing Dreamer. 

• Like 5

I've not played Doppelganger yet, but there are a few key upsides to the model that you should capitalise on:

* lure with stat six. If a model gets close, you can drag it in to your attack range of your beaters.

* mimic. Have her near one of your own models so she is always guaranteed a strong attack (such as Teddy, she can copy his melee attack).

* crazy interact shenanigans. For example, you can use Teddy to stand near a strategy marker so enemies can't interact with it, then she can zip in and interact while the whole area is locked down by Teddy.

Glad you had fun with Dora! I'm keen to try her myself.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

I've not played Doppelganger yet, but there are a few key upsides to the model that you should capitalise on:

* lure with stat six. If a model gets close, you can drag it in to your attack range of your beaters.

* mimic. Have her near one of your own models so she is always guaranteed a strong attack (such as Teddy, she can copy his melee attack).

* crazy interact shenanigans. For example, you can use Teddy to stand near a strategy marker so enemies can't interact with it, then she can zip in and interact while the whole area is locked down by Teddy.

Glad you had fun with Dora! I'm keen to try her myself.

Lure is definitely a powerful ability - I used it to great effect to ruin their synergy and deal with the Viks, but with Kade and Hinamatsu on the table, I already had plenty. 

Mimic is strong for its versatility - particularly her ability to copy abilities otherwise unique Goody Basket (Haste), Self Loathing or min 3 attacks- I’ve just had a tendency to put the Doppelganger in harms way and get her killed too soon.

-

One of my failings overall is probably, that I overly rely on models/concepts like Teddy, that I fall in love with an insist on bringing regardless of strategy schemes, and forget about the synergy, you get from minions - maybe from being used to just summon these. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Regelridderen said:

One of my failings overall is probably, that I overly rely on models/concepts like Teddy, that I fall in love with an insist on bringing regardless of strategy schemes, and forget about the synergy, you get from minions - maybe from being used to just summon these. 

Haha, yes, I think this happens to a lot of people. I had it with Teddy real bad.

• Like 1

Good to hear you got all the NVB creepy kids together! Some quick thoughts:

IR is very good in Teddy, he is a target that can be killed with a few good focused attacks; with IR that's much harder to do for most non-masters.

The doppleganger is good but fragile, Disguised is very important for her so if you want to charge into mele, copy a range 2 attack and attack something that can be outranged (or be sure the target goes down). Also mind the mimic ability inherit suits and fate modifiers :+flip:mask and she can mimic her own action in a pinch; if you only want to Lure things or find herself isolated; she can have a stat 7 lure or staggering punch.

If you have the mimics, try the Changelling with her, the crew have a lot of very good tactical actions for that thing to copy. For example, Despair's Influence Pandora for 3 attacks with Slow in her turn, or Kade for a Lure with Slow + 2 Executes, a Lure with a free attack plus 2 critical strikes (or if he is engaged with Teddy 2 Coordinated attacks) or put the Carver with a min damage 4, that free suit is amazing in most of the crew. But there are others like Draw Essence or Candy heals, and the Changelings have Whispered Thruths that is amazing in this crew.

Mind Candy versus stunned models attacking in Df has effectively armor+2.

Versus crew that want to get in your face like Viks, an Aversion Proxy, a Wisp or Azde could really worth it.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Ogid said:

The doppleganger is good but fragile, Disguised is very important for her so if you want to charge into mele, copy a range 2 attack and attack something that can be outranged (or be sure the target goes down). Also mind the mimic ability inherit suits and fate modifiers :+flip:mask and she can mimic her own action in a pinch; if you only want to Lure things or find herself isolated; she can have a stat 7 lure or staggering punch.

If you have the mimics, try the Changelling with her, the crew have a lot of very good tactical actions for that thing to copy. For example, Despair's Influence Pandora for 3 attacks with Slow in her turn, or Kade for a Lure with Slow + 2 Executes, a Lure with a free attack plus 2 critical strikes (or if he is engaged with Teddy 2 Coordinated attacks) or put the Carver with a min damage 4, that free suit is amazing in most of the crew. But there are others like Draw Essence or Candy heals, and the Changelings have Whispered Thruths that is amazing in this crew.

That’s great - I didn’t realize, you got suits and bonus flips with the ganger. So copying Hinamatsu would give a stat 7 With bonus flip for instance?

And I never got to use Despair’s Influence. I guess, its a typical ability to elude a beginners attention - and changelings are on my wish list, as Lucius and his Lawyers are my next crew ( then Zoraida (and a gingerbread house to compliment the creepy kids) when she is re-released ).

Haha, yes it's not intuitive at all until you read carefuly that part of the rules. But it gives the Doppleganger interesting tactical options upgrading other actions.

For example, improving Lysa obeying attack from a shit stat of 4 to 7; double Aestlin Built in "Into Thorns" trigger for double fun; easy healing with Azde Drink Blood; Hinamatsu/Young Neph 2.0; Healing after killing something after copying Teddy Claws, suddenly copying Carver or Coppelious attack isn't useless...

And I'm not sure about this one... but for the wording it seem legal. Built in onslaught trigger copying the Bandersnatch attack when it has a Formidable Horns attached (in a Marcus crew) for a wooping 8 damage plus Poison+4 with just minimum damage.

EDIT: After the points in this thread the Doppleganger is probably not able to copy modified abilities for how "this model" wording is used in other cards.

On 10/13/2019 at 1:50 PM, Ogid said:

And I'm not sure about this one... but for the wording it seem legal. Built in onslaught trigger copying the Bandersnatch attack when it has a Formidable Horns attached (in a Marcus crew) for a wooping 8 damage plus Poison+4 with just minimum damage.

unfortunately not possible, since she's not a beast or chimera she cannot be chimerancy-ed. The other examples are all valid though, I love the idea of borrowing something like hinamatsu's attack at a stat 7 with a [+] and the chance to onslaught!

10 hours ago, Sharp_GT said:

unfortunately not possible, since she's not a beast or chimera she cannot be chimerancy-ed.

She is a beast... with Marcus she has to be nuts with Armor plus Horns mutations (buried, Armor+1, Shielded+2 and Onslaught built in... you can't run, you can't fight back :o).

I have yet to use Teddy in a game, but I might try him this weekend. The synergy with him and Kade puts Kade in some precarious positions at times and against certain opponents it's tough to justify 17 (19 with IR on Teddy) stones when I could have Hooded Rider and Dopple/Serena instead.

Candy is the real workhorse of the Woe crew. Corrupted Innocence is an insane ability and has won me games single-handedly. Her place trigger on Glimpse is a huge deal; your opponent feels safe in their bunker until she warps in at the end of the turn and then every model thereafter that activates before her within 4" is auto-stunned and they pitch a card. Get some Sorrows to hop in there with Misery Loves Company and you have an aura pain train by turn 3 if you play it right.

I’m looking forward to finding out how to properly use Kade. I think, that you need to see him as a mobility piece. He can drag/lure your models forward, and draw out opponents from their bubble. 

I don’t think he is the beater, he could be in M2E, as he’s lost both DF and damage potential. But again through Coordinated Attack, he gains his punch. 

Personally, I’d love to have him back as the glasscannon murderbaby. 

3 hours ago, Regelridderen said:

I’m looking forward to finding out how to properly use Kade. I think, that you need to see him as a mobility piece. He can drag/lure your models forward, and draw out opponents from their bubble. 

I don’t think he is the beater, he could be in M2E, as he’s lost both DF and damage potential. But again through Coordinated Attack, he gains his punch. 

I've used him as pretty much a support piece so far. However, you need to watch for those moments when you can put his stat 7 attack to good use. In lists with multiple lures, it's a great play to save him to activate late in the turn, when their hand is depleted, and lure him in before his own activation, then charge in with him. It's even better if early on Pandora gives him crows for the turn for all duels, as they're pitching their final cards to save models. Also, he's a nice threat for Demise models.

5 hours ago, Mut said:

Candy is the real workhorse of the Woe crew. Corrupted Innocence is an insane ability and has won me games single-handedly. Her place trigger on Glimpse is a huge deal; your opponent feels safe in their bunker until she warps in at the end of the turn and then every model thereafter that activates before her within 4" is auto-stunned and they pitch a card. Get some Sorrows to hop in there with Misery Loves Company and you have an aura pain train by turn 3 if you play it right.

Haha, this is why you don't move your models forward as if they were a pack of 6 beers... that's asking for trouble, being candy or being a few good Sonnia blasts.

5 hours ago, Mut said:

I have yet to use Teddy in a game, but I might try him this weekend. The synergy with him and Kade puts Kade in some precarious positions at times and against certain opponents it's tough to justify 17 (19 with IR on Teddy) stones when I could have Hooded Rider and Dopple/Serena instead.

4 hours ago, Regelridderen said:

The baby is delicate so you can't charge forward with him, but it has some high damage potential in the right scenarios. Pounce is very good, specially because his Lure has some good triggers, but you can trigger pounce just with a Misery aura movement.

The best case scenario for Kade: Misery or other model lure/bring it trigger Pounce (3 actions), Pandora/Changeling give him a suit: Enjoy 3 attacks with min 3 (min 9 damage), 3 coordinated attacks (probably from Teddy, so a potential 15 min damage) or 3 Executes (the other player discard half of their hand, 3 SS or... chop chop)

He in fact doesn't want to charge forward but make enemy models go to him:

• Lure an enemy model (plus extra attack/slow), use bonus action to engage Teddy with that enemy model (both heal), Kade still have 2 actions and 3 out of the 4 suits have a useful trigger.
  • Or if you don't want to end the turn engaged: Lure something, attack twice (2 out of the 4 suits are good), bonus action to move Teddy and engage it with both, use the placement to disengage.

Plus he is good also repositioning allies. 

The idea of Kade is a baby that lure people and then murders them horribly with the help of his nighmarish bear; not a serial killer that hunts people like Seamus.

• Like 1