Pop Culture/Historic People who should be in Malifaux

Hagisman

I was listening to a podcast about the couple who went to the theater with Lincoln the night he was assassinated. Clara Hamilton Harris was with her husband Henry Rathbone, but her dress was soaked in Lincoln's blood. After the assassination she kept the dress, covered in Lincoln's dry blood in their guest house, and people who stayed in that room could swear they could hear Lincoln's laughter at night. Her husband murdered her in her sleep and tried to take his own life.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clara_Harris

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Rathbone

Very Malifaux in my opinion.

What some people from history or pop culture would you bring into Malifaux? I.E. Reference like Phiona Gage is a reference to Phineas Gage.

Additionally I'd like to see a Red Dwarf reference with a Miner who pals around with Steampunk Robot Janitor, Ghost of his Dead Bunkmate, and a Half-Man Half-Cat friend.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Hagisman said:

I was listening to a podcast about the couple who went to the theater with Lincoln the night he was assassinated. Clara Hamilton Harris was with her husband Henry Rathbone, but her dress was soaked in Lincoln's blood. After the assassination she kept the dress, covered in Lincoln's dry blood in their guest house, and people who stayed in that room could swear they could hear Lincoln's laughter at night. Her husband murdered her in her sleep and tried to take his own life.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clara_Harris

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Rathbone

Very Malifaux in my opinion.

That's a very gothic and all, but it has one significant problem.  It all involves a historical event that either hasn't yet happened, or doesn't happen, in the Malifaux setting.

There was no American civil war, and no Emancipation Proclamation issued by Lincoln in the Malifaux setting.  It was actually a significant plot point in the last few books of M2E that slavery ended in the US around 1906 by essentially Guild proclamation.

Without the historical context, it just seems like a sad story.

• Like 1

It may be that the key characters of our world history do not exist or are different in the Malifaux / TOS universe since the events (use of magic for the development of modernity) significantly changed the evolution of their world (Japan, China and  Vietnam unifying as The Three Kingdoms, Abbysinia going from being a tribe to a world power nation, slavery abolishing in USA thanks to the influence of the Guild), so except for certain references (Paul Crokett) I doubt they put any historical character except as  part of the background.

26 minutes ago, solkan said:

That's a very gothic and all, but it has one significant problem.  It all involves a historical event that either hasn't yet happened, or doesn't happen, in the Malifaux setting.

There was no American civil war, and no Emancipation Proclamation issued by Lincoln in the Malifaux setting.  It was actually a significant plot point in the last few books of M2E that slavery ended in the US around 1906 by essentially Guild proclamation.

Without the historical context, it just seems like a sad story.

I'm not talking about pulling a person from history full hog. But having a reference to said historical figure.

1 hour ago, Hagisman said:

I'm not talking about pulling a person from history full hog. But having a reference to said historical figure.

No, but you're missing the problem.  It's a reference to a historical figure not present in the setting.  Without that historical reference, it goes from a story about people doing weird things due to second hand fame, to

• A lady got blood splattered on dress during a murder.  She kept the dress, people claimed it was haunted by the victim, and then her husband killed her.

As an example, you've got the bar (fine accepted for the pun) for historical references like Phiona Gage, a reference to Phineas Gage.  Mix historical person with possible reference to actress, and you get a model in the game.

Sherlock Holmes, or possibly Arthur Conan Doyle himself, would be an interesting add; not counting that one short story because it ended and we got nothing out of it.

Oscar Wilde would be an interesting and weird concept.

Maybe the classic earth monsters invade Malifaux like Dracula.

• Like 1