Unable to Unbury

Steve-El-Tragger

Question

So i am a bit of confused.
The rulebook says, if a model would unbury and cant be placed, it is placed in its deployment zone instead. Is this also the case if a model cant even hit its requirements to unbury, for example Misaki is buried and has no more shadow markes on the board, or does she stay buried and is killed End of Game?

7 answers to this question

That happens if the model try to unbury but can't for reasons, without any ability/action that let her unbury she have to remain buried (and die at the end of the game)

However I woudn't be worried for Misaki; her shadows stay turn after turn (so in turn 5 she should have some scattered, even if in bad places), other members of her creed like Ototo or the Torakages may create new shadows in a pinch and shang (her totem) is another option. It's highly unlikely that she runs out of options to unbury.

Misaki unburies in deployment as others have said.  For an example or what it looks like when a model has a different result, see the grave golem.

At the start of this model's Activation, if it is Buried, Unbury it into base contact with a Corpse Marker, then remove that Marker. If this model cannot be Unburied in this way, it is killed.

The grave golem explicitly gives another way to handle failure to unbury in the specified way (it is killed). Since Misaki doesn't have that, she unburies by the backup condition (her deployment zone).

EDIT: it'd also be different (I think) if it said "may unbury", as then you'd have to meet the condition. Depending on the rest of the wording.

Interesting answers... this game is more generous than I thought with the buried ones!

I assumed the model had to be able to fulfill the condition to unbury; but if the model can't be placed, then it can be placed in the deployment zone. In the Misaki's example, only 1 shadow marker remaining but surrounded by impassable terrain and other models.

Good to know!

1 hour ago, Ogid said:

Interesting answers... this game is more generous than I thought with the buried ones!

I assumed the model had to be able to fulfill the condition to unbury; but if the model can't be placed, then it can be placed in the deployment zone. In the Misaki's example, only 1 shadow marker remaining but surrounded by impassable terrain and other models.

Good to know!

Yeah, this is one of the deliberate rules changes from M2E to M3E, changing Unbury so that if you can’t unbury in the specified position(s), you have a fallback area to Unbury into.

This sort of defensive ability was one of the reasons for that change.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ogid said:

Good to know!

I don't think you need a shadow marker on the table at all.

At the start of this model's Activation, if it is Buried, Unbury it in base contact with a friendly Shadow Marker, then remove that Marker. If it does so, for every two friendly models that have Activated this Turn, this model has -1 Mv until the end of its Activation.

If the model is buried, you're instructed to unbury it. So I think you unbury it regardless.  If you do it with a shadow marker, you remove the marker and she loses movement.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Ogid said:

Good to know!

While you're sort of right. You've misunderstood what is required. In misakis case the condition required to unbury is "being buried at the start of her activation." The shadow marker is just the location, so if she can't be placed in base contact with one then it's the deployment zone. 

Compare with Tara, who needs to remove fast to unbury, and if she can't remove fast, she hasn't met the conditions to unbury. 

• Thanks 1