Who can actually be affected by an aura?

Domin

Question

Here's the situation. There are an Investigator and another model in 4.1" from him. The Investigator places Scheme Marker, triggering his "It's Evidence" stuff. 

Since 30mm + 3" is more then 4.1", so the another model can be pushed by "It's Evidence", even being not actually in aura's range. 

As it stated in RB, all  models  inside  the Aura’s  area,  including what  is generating  the  Aura,  are  affected  by the  Aura as  long  as  they  stay  inside  the  area  and  remain  in  Line of  Sight  of  the  generating  object.  The “affected  model” in  these  instances  is  whatever model  experiences  some change in game state. 

In my example we have the model outside the Aura's range, but experiencing some changes in game state. 

So the question is - will be the model in example treated as "affected" by an aura? More widely: are the  "stay  inside  the  area  and  remain  in  Line of  Sight  of  the  generating  object" and "experiences  some change in game state" separate causes for a model to be count as "affected", or they should be used in conjunction?

11 answers to this question

A model outside the aura can not be treated as "affected", even if it suffers a change of state when resolving an aura-effect. It's not in the aura, when the effect is triggered.

In the Investigator case the model doesn't have to be in the aura to be moved away from the marker. 

The issue here is that "Stand Back!  It's Evidence!" is an ability with two ranges:

After a Corpse, Scrap, or Scheme Marker is dropped within :aura4, after resolving the current Action or Ability, this model may Push a model within 3" of the Marker up to 3" away from it.

and it sort of falls outside of the bounds of the Aura rules.

In my opinion, the most likely outcome is:

• The Ability does, in fact, affect models outside of the :aura4.
  • You can't apply "Push a model within 3" of the Marker up to 3" away from it" to the same model multiple times.  (Not that you'd really want to (or be able to) unless you were pushing that model through Severe terrain, or you were trying to get a double push inside Hazardous terrain.)

Crazy money bet is going to be on "Stand Back!  It's Evidence!" getting errata'd to

After a Corpse, Scrap, or Scheme Marker is dropped within :aura4, this model may Push a model within :aura3 of the Marker up to 3" away from it.

so that it's a double aura, and all of the mechanics become sensible again.

Edit:

For what it's worth, "Stand Back!  It's Evidence!" in its current form really does have to be looked at as an aura that applies a non-aura effect to be sensible.  Just like Rasputina's Ice Mirror Ability is an Aura ability that applies to non-Aura effects without contagiously applying the constraints of the second or third paragraph of Auras.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Domin said:

So what's your answer if there are two Investigator's within 4 of the placed marker - can them both push the model in case or not? 

I would say they can both push 'a' model. Since you have to choose one model at a time to complete their abilities you wouldn't likely be able to affect the same model twice (though it's possible). Since the second part of the ability that has to do with a push isn't an Aura itself, I don't believe the no stacking rule works here. 

2 hours ago, Clement said:

Multiple auras with the same name cannot affect the same model. (Alter it's game state in some way, moving it would be altering it)

True, but the Aura is only on the first part to see if the Investigator gets to use their ability or not. Now does that mean only one Investigator can be effected? I don't think so since the Investigator's game state isn't changing as far as I can tell. 

So a Marker is dropped within the aura of two Investigators. We know both of their abilities will go off after the current action/ability ends. When that happens chooses one Investigator to resolve their effect first. Investigator A gets to push one model within 3" of the marker up to 3". After that is done then Investigator B gets to push one model within 3" of the marker up to 3". If the first model pushed is still within 3" of the marker, then I'd still say it can be affected again since this part of the ability is not an Aura (and why it might change to an Aura). It would have been pretty easy to reword the ability to make sure this couldn't happen.

I am curious why it isn't limited to 'enemy' only. It would be less abusive that way as right now its an easy way to get 6" of movement turn one. Though other crews can likely do similar things. But really, the Investigators seem pretty good overall for 7SS anyway. A psuedo 3/4/5 with a stat of 7 and an aura that negates enemy scheme markers, plus some card draw and card discard mechanics. They do appear to work great, if expensive, as a team of two. 

• Agree 1

So you're stay that the model in case will be affected by an aura? 

The reason I'm asking is the consequenses of being the "affected". For example - if there are two Investigator's within 4 of the placed marker - can it both push the model in case or not? 

8 hours ago, solkan said:

After a Corpse, Scrap, or Scheme Marker is dropped within :aura4, after resolving the current Action or Ability, this model may Push a model within 3" of the Marker up to 3" away from it.

The Aura is simply telling you how far away the marker can be dropped and that you need LOS to it for the ability to work. After resolving the action or ability, then you may Push one model that is within 3" of the Marker up to 3" away. There is no Aura on the second part and as such the model affected by the Push wouldn't even need to have LOS to the marker to be a viable target, just within 3" of the marker.

I agree with solkan that it might be errated to make the 3" an aura too, but as written I don't really see any issues. It works, if a bit clunky. 

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

I agree with solkan that it might be errated to make the 3" an aura too, but as written I don't really see any issues. It works, if a bit clunky. 

So what's your answer if there are two Investigator's within 4 of the placed marker - can them both push the model in case or not? 

3 hours ago, Domin said:

Only one will.  Multiple auras with the same name cannot affect the same model. (Alter it's game state in some way, moving it would be altering it)

3 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

So a Marker is dropped within the aura of two Investigators. We know both of their abilities will go off after the current action/ability ends. When that happens chooses one Investigator to resolve their effect first. Investigator A gets to push one model within 3" of the marker up to 3". After that is done then Investigator B gets to push one model within 3" of the marker up to 3". If the first model pushed is still within 3" of the marker, then I'd still say it can be affected again since this part of the ability is not an Aura (and why it might change to an Aura). It would have been pretty easy to reword the ability to make sure this couldn't happen.

This is the part I'd disagree with, both moves are being caused by an aura of the same name (even though the aura is only measuring to the scheme marker).  Because of that, you only get to do one of them.

I get cleaning up the language though.

11 hours ago, Domin said:

As it is written now, I would be in favour of two pushes, because the model pushed is not affected by two aura's. The scheme marker that is dropped, is, but the model itself isn't.