Asami and her activation

yames

So i have played quite a few games with Asami as of late and i'm wondering if anyone else gets the same lackluster feeling when they activate her.

Now she is by no means bad and i like her crew overall but when i activate Asami i feel like it usually goes one way. i summon something, i mothers love it, i fling it forward with tendrils ( or i walk). now this does work, but it just feel so repetitive. I'm finding it hard to summon in ways that they don't come into play with 2 flicker tokens effectively making me use mothers love so that its not just a throw away summon. Since none of her oni drop markers on death and a lot of the time my main opponents don't either ( or there lower model count crews). She also has that great stat 6 melee attack with a great trigger that i barely ever get to use. I really want to but she just seems too fragile and important to get into melee.

So my first question is has anyone had any luck playing her more forward? has Protected (oni) been enough to protect her? she has a lot of ways to self harm herself increasing the risk to me. She has a heal but ive never really gotten much use out of it. 

Second question is, how have you guys been finding is the best way to increase the longevity of her summons? Is it threw her trigger? Bringing Akamie to kick up corpse markers? Some other tactic im missing, or just doing what I've been doing with a mothers love and anchor oni?

Honestly, I've been very particular with my crew hiring and in the two Asami games I've played so far, she's either been a scheme runner or an Exploding Obsidian Oni launching platform. 

EDIT:  Oh, I just saw a post about using Terracotta Warriors to cast A Mother's Love.

3 hours ago, yames said:

Bringing Akamie to kick up corpse markers? 

Honestly, best Oni ever. I always bring two of them . They step forward , spit a scrap/corpse , they run backwards. There is no real reason to keep them on the front. Just rush them forward when you need a 10" (8"?) scheme .

I create an "evocation pool" in front of Asami so she doesn't need the Mother's Love Action, second turn same thing . 

Usually I spend some other model AP (I know that AP are no longer a thing , but whatever) to create a "restoration pool" near Asami too (2 Scheme Markers 2" of her , or just where she will be later that turn) . Protected is good , if Asami dies you are likely to loose all the crew in the next turn or two. 

The Obsidian Kamikaze is fun but not always the best option . Sometimes you prefer to have a dude alive that can create a "evocation pool" on the enemies (integrated trigger on the ranged attack).

Just don't summon Jorogumo in the middle of the enemy team . They are scary as hell but they can be taken down in just one activation.

Don't walk with Asami: charge. Violation Of Reality is an aura and Asami is an Oni, so she benefits from it for some extra mobility.

I've only played two games with her in 3rd, and the first game I played her similar to OP. 2nd game I didn't summon at all, instead either using her to pull my opponents out if position or throwing her into the mix, eating my opponents scheme markers, doing some damage and using pulled here and there trigger to reposition to safety. It was a lot more fun!

1 hour ago, Da Git said:

I've actually got a lot of mileage out of her Ml attack... 2/4/6 with execute is nothing to sniff at. 

No I agree I love her melee attack. But have you had any issues keeping her alive when trying to use jt? She's a master and a summoner which I find puts a massive target on her head. And while she has some def tech she's so important to the crew that I don't risk her often.

I agree she is fairly binary in this edition. Most of her actions are geared towards supporting her other models. It's rare that she doesn't do summon/mothers love/tendrils something. 

I can see at some point you might want to summon/tendrils enemy into you/melee them and amanjaku can manage the flicker on the summon. Probably good when there aren't a pile of models you can throw an obsidian oni into. 

I did have a game where she died on T3 and amanjaku powered up. He was incredibly difficult to kill as he can flicker defense and then discard that flicker to reduce dmg if he gets hit. So I can see using her very aggressively with amanjaku as a backup plan. 

• Like 2