Resser Henchman Hardcore

stonecrowe

So, the latest Waldo's Weekly showed off the new official rules for HH: https://www.wyrd-games.net/news/category/Wyrd+News

TLDR: HH will be 30 stones, 4 models exactly (fixed crew through whole tournament), no free leaders, no free effigies, no summoning, 2ap for leaders, vp scoring from turn 1, wedge deployment, Plant Explosives + Vendetta + Assassinate.

The lack of summoning means that Asura is probably right out, so what Henchman + Crew do you think will be good in this format? 

My first instinct is to reach for either Anna Lovelace or Vincent St Claire. 

Anna Lovelace and some students would likely do very well. The Valedictorian is in the same vein. 

• Anna (10), Student of Sinew (7), Student of Sinew (7), Undergraduate (6) - switch out a Steel if needed, but the Sinew can have a pseudo fast for extra attacks. 

Maybe Sebastian with a RN and some Flesh constructs? Not sure he's the best pick, but you might make him work with poison.

Toshiro and/or Manos might work being able to bring in Ancestors and Retainers. Izamu and some Komainu could be a hard nut to crack. 

I cannot see taking Asura, Mortimor, or Phillip.

Sybelle would be a hard sell as well, but maybe. She does get access to the Zombie keyword giving her Flesh Constructs and Rabble Risers without the tax. 

Crossroads seven might be good? I haven't looked at their models, but four strong models seems a pretty good deal.

Philip & the Nanny might not be that bad - access to Archie or Rogue Necromancy is a nice boon (and technically could take both + mindless zombie). P&N seems solid for plant explosives and assassinate: durable leader and you make it difficult for your opponent to plant explosives. All the minion options are solid as well. Rabble risers have some decent fighting power, but crooligans are probably what I'd go with. Very good for both schemes and placing explosives. Can run off by themselves to plant explosives, and if the opponent decides to engage, they can teleport back (often with less cards in hand, making them quite dangerous).

P&N is the only henchman I own, but I'll be starting with:

• Philip & the Nanny with GST (10SS)
  • Archie with GST (11SS)
  • Crooligan (4SS)
  • Crooligan (4SS)

The regenerative power and sheer tankiness of the crew will make it hard to score the schemes, and the crew has great killing power and huge power for plant explosives. Not to mention that a lot of crews will want to focus against them, which P&N helps against.

EDIT: Max hand size four is another rule! Definitely makes this crew list weaker... But still probably what I'd go with! Possibly replace a crooligan with a rabble riser.

44 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Crossroads seven might be good? I haven't looked at their models, but four strong models seems a pretty good deal.

If I was to bring C7 into Henchman Hardcore, I'd want Pride, Wrath, Envy, and Gluttony as Lust, Greed, and Sloth are situational counter-picks and you can't change your crew between matches.

Just played a few games today with the list I mentioned above (Philip & the nanny, Archie, 2 crooligan, 2GST).

It was crazy good. My opponents had no good avenues to score points on schemes (Vendetta against Archie is hard), and the explosives were insanely easy to place between Archie and the Crooligans. Not to mention how difficult I could make life for the opponent.  Archie + crooligan can drop their loads in the first one-two turns, freeing up the rest of the game for harassing them. This could be countered by attacking Archie, but that never ended well.

Would not be surprised if this turns out to be a Tier 1-2 crew.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thewrathchilde said:

so....in the team tournament and Double Rush format are the Master/Leader & Totem/Effigy still free?

It explicitly states for the HH format that the Effigy is not free. Doesn't discuss for team and Double Rush.

I believe so. I think I saw an article talking about "only fielding 10 SS (plus master/totem)". 

Additionally, they state they're different from normal tournaments in the listed ways. Since it doesn't list masters not being free, I'd assume they are!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

I believe so. I think I saw an article talking about "only fielding 10 SS (plus master/totem)". 

Additionally, they state they're different from normal tournaments in the listed ways. Since it doesn't list masters not being free, I'd assume they are!

That’s what I assumed but wanted to get others read to ensure I wasn’t projecting....

• Like 1