A little plug and play crew help

Regelridderen

I’m getting some friends popping by for a faux weekend, everyone is new to the game, and a few haven’t even got their own crews and will be borrowing to try it out. I myself have only two games under my belt, so I’m far from being a veteran, so I need a little help in creating some simple thematic 50SS Guild crews, that can inspire people to play.

We’ll be playing M2E for sake of simplicity. These are the available models :

Lady Justice, Scales of Justice, Judge, DM Recruiters, DM’s, Lone Marshall

Perdita, Nephilim, Francisco, Nino, Papa, Santiago, Monster Hunters

McMourning, Sebastian, Zombie Chihuahua, 2 Flesh constructs, 2 Nurses, (2 Rogue Necromancy)

Lucius, The Scribe, Lawyers, Dashel, Queeg, Executioners, Mounted Guards, Guards, Guild Hounds.

Peacekeeper, Effigy, Austringers

Thanks for your help. 

I’d leave the Peacekeeper out just because it doesn’t get tokens automatically out-of-keyword, so half its card text would be unusable. Extra confusing for new players.

Position the effigy next to a gun user and demonstrate the heal aura buff before the gunner gets wounded enough to need it right away.

The Lucius block is more of a Dashel crew these days, but Lucius can work as a secondary master into any crew (if you’re willing to introduce the idea this early in their Malifaux careers—master cards are most complex).

Justice VS Perdita perhaps? I foresee a slight risk that Justice gets shot off the board but the recruiters and some terrain might help with that. Give Justice the jump upgrade and run Perdita's crew naked so she isn't just tabling everyone with her cheese upgrade. Some woods let the unimpeded marshals close in while getting cover. The effigy can join justice, drop a death marshal out and the rest should fit in while still keeping a few SS in her cache. 

Lucius is complicated for a demo. You should maybe leave is aside for a first game. I do not know Mc Mourning. Gunlines are usually less fun than a good old brawl. LJ seems the best choice here. And Death marshall are really nice models. I do not remeber the cost in L2E, but you should have a solid crew with these models and 1-2 upgrades and a few soulstones

2 hours ago, Ludvig said:

Justice VS Perdita perhaps? I foresee a slight risk that Justice gets shot off the board but the recruiters and some terrain might help with that. Give Justice the jump upgrade and run Perdita's crew naked so she isn't just tabling everyone with her cheese upgrade. Some woods let the unimpeded marshals close in while getting cover. The effigy can join justice, drop a death marshal out and the rest should fit in while still keeping a few SS in her cache. 

There’ll be plenty of other crews, the job is not to make a match up, but to give people a ‘plug-n-play’ crew option, so they won’t need to gloss over the whole collection, but can just grab a bunch of models and get to it - maybe substituting a few models.

2 hours ago, Gnomezilla said:

I’d leave the Peacekeeper out just because it doesn’t get tokens automatically out-of-keyword, so half its card text would be unusable. Extra confusing for new players.

Position the effigy next to a gun user and demonstrate the heal aura buff before the gunner gets wounded enough to need it right away.

The Lucius block is more of a Dashel crew these days, but Lucius can work as a secondary master into any crew (if you’re willing to introduce the idea this early in their Malifaux careers—master cards are most complex).

M3E isn’t out yet, so it’s M2E.

-

What I’m hoping to get is suggestions for a Lady J crew, a Perdita crew - maybe a Lucius crew.

8 minutes ago, Regelridderen said:

There’ll be plenty of other crews, the job is not to make a match up, but to give people a ‘plug-n-play’ crew option, so they won’t need to gloss over the whole collection, but can just grab a bunch of models and get to it - maybe substituting a few models.

I think you would have trouble putting together a functioning crew for McMourning of Lucius with your selection of models, especially a thematic one.

You could put together a pretty killer crew for most of the masters with Francisco, the Judge, the effigy, both monster hunters and some thematic models but the problem is that every crew will want those same models so if you need to supply two crews one player will be fielding a pretty crap crew. I think I'd still stick to my recommendations above but add debt and probably LLC to the Judge as well as the autoinclude upgrades for the masters to make them kick ass.